Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DVD vs. CD for archiving  (Read 19930 times)

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
Re: DVD vs. CD for archiving
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2004, 01:52:56 AM »
When you burn audio onto a dual layer DVD is there ever any "hiccup" when it switches layers.  I notice this on a lot of movies, bugs the hell out of me.

Also are you able to turn the 24 bit recordings into a surround format?

DVD burning is looking pretty cool, gotta start reading up on this.

And to toot my horn, I built my computer with a buddy one day while we were drinking a lot of beer.  It is kind of off white and made out of clay and real Cedar(helps keep moths away)  It dosent work very well, but it's all mine and I love it
+t to all  :-*
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline crobs808

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2004, 02:54:01 PM »
???
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 11:45:55 PM by crobs808 »
"The dolphins, with their teeth of spongy gold, and their stares made out of glassy grins; they don't know the language of mercy" - Bob Schneider

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2004, 04:25:53 PM »
p.s. - my tapes dont suck cause i dont tape, lol, loser.

let's keep it that way

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2004, 04:59:17 PM »
you seem to think that one consumer products hit the market that is when everyone else gets them? lol...you do realize that business could buy mac g5's and amd 64 fx-51 proccessors like 2 years ago right, way before they hit the consumer market? it helps to know what you are talking about before you act like you have something "new" when you really have something very outdated :) just FYI there buddy

~connor

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a new troll on the board.......welcome, enjoy your stay jackass. Never claimed to know what I was talking about...that's what we have you for I guess ::)
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2004, 05:37:10 PM »
you seem to think that one consumer products hit the market that is when everyone else gets them? lol...you do realize that business could buy mac g5's and amd 64 fx-51 proccessors like 2 years ago right, way before they hit the consumer market? it helps to know what you are talking about before you act like you have something "new" when you really have something very outdated :) just FYI there buddy

~connor

hey, it's the guy with the biggest dick on the internet!

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2004, 05:41:39 PM »

~connor

hey, it's the guy with the biggest dick on the internet!

I heard about this dude, I've been looking for him over at myfreepaysite.com for months now, he was always so elusive.

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2004, 05:47:19 PM »

~connor

What an asshole.

I still have no DVD burner for archiving / burning my 24 bit recordings. I have been just leaving them on HDD until I can afford a burner. I was about to buy 1 and realized that I don't have a tower with enough juice to install a DVD burner. My laptop is the only machine that has the specs and I would prefer to just build an new tower to kill a few birds with stone
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline KronKyrios

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2004, 11:10:34 PM »
Finally, a topic I actually have some insight on... or it least, it WAS that topic....

Anyway, DVDs are reliable, but I don't trust any media any farther than under the caster wheel on my chair.  I continue to keep multiple backups, on different hard drives in case one fails and in case the removable media fails.  And one copy off site, in case there is a fire which consumes hard drives and removable media on site.  And yes, the technology will continue to upgrade every 5 years or so.  We don't need to worry about whether a DVD will last 25 years or 50 because DVDs will likely be obsolete before either of those.  I heard about a disc that is on the drawing board for about 10 years out that will hold 1.7 terabytes.  Can you imagine putting 2600 of your most favorite CDs on one disc?  Or 360 DVDs?

And, with DVDs being so cheap - I am getting decent quality discs for around $1 each - and with burners being cheap too, it doesn't make sense not to use DVDs. 

The Blue discs are a reality.  They are in production now, and could be mass-marketed sooner than you might expect.  They are 27 Gb +/- depending on how you measure.  I have not seen the specs on these, but I expect they will burn significantly faster than DVDs, at least in terms of MB/s.  Higher density data has always had a comparable increase in speed to accompany it.  If it takes 4 hours to burn one of these new discs, few people will buy them. 

History shows that the market does not support double sided discs because they require a caddy, of some form of enclosure that keeps the minmum unit cost too high.  Double (and possibly triple or quad layer) discs are completely feasible and supportable by the market. 

Another thing the market doesn't support is more than two types of removable storage media at one time... at least not for very long.  When the next level of DVD becomes widespread, CDs will begin to phase out.  Of course, CDs will be the exception because they are not just a computer media, like all the rest of the historical examples for computer media.  There are enough standalone CD players/mp3 players that the demand for CDs will be around for a long time, but they will become less and less popular, and less capable of handling the increasing file sizes, to the point that using them for computer media storage will be almost foolish.  DVDs will be resistant to phasing out as well, but it will happen. 

Kenneth

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2004, 11:12:25 PM »
Finally, a topic I actually have some insight on... or it least, it WAS that topic....

Anyway, DVDs are reliable, but I don't trust any media any farther than under the caster wheel on my chair.  I continue to keep multiple backups, on different hard drives in case one fails and in case the removable media fails.  And one copy off site, in case there is a fire which consumes hard drives and removable media on site.  And yes, the technology will continue to upgrade every 5 years or so.  We don't need to worry about whether a DVD will last 25 years or 50 because DVDs will likely be obsolete before either of those.  I heard about a disc that is on the drawing board for about 10 years out that will hold 1.7 terabytes.  Can you imagine putting 2600 of your most favorite CDs on one disc?  Or 360 DVDs?

And, with DVDs being so cheap - I am getting decent quality discs for around $1 each - and with burners being cheap too, it doesn't make sense not to use DVDs. 

The Blue discs are a reality.  They are in production now, and could be mass-marketed sooner than you might expect.  They are 27 Gb +/- depending on how you measure.  I have not seen the specs on these, but I expect they will burn significantly faster than DVDs, at least in terms of MB/s.  Higher density data has always had a comparable increase in speed to accompany it.  If it takes 4 hours to burn one of these new discs, few people will buy them. 

History shows that the market does not support double sided discs because they require a caddy, of some form of enclosure that keeps the minmum unit cost too high.  Double (and possibly triple or quad layer) discs are completely feasible and supportable by the market. 

Another thing the market doesn't support is more than two types of removable storage media at one time... at least not for very long.  When the next level of DVD becomes widespread, CDs will begin to phase out.  Of course, CDs will be the exception because they are not just a computer media, like all the rest of the historical examples for computer media.  There are enough standalone CD players/mp3 players that the demand for CDs will be around for a long time, but they will become less and less popular, and less capable of handling the increasing file sizes, to the point that using them for computer media storage will be almost foolish.  DVDs will be resistant to phasing out as well, but it will happen. 

Kenneth

finally, some intelligent conversastion in this thread
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

Offline crobs808

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2004, 12:07:13 AM »
???
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 11:46:12 PM by crobs808 »
"The dolphins, with their teeth of spongy gold, and their stares made out of glassy grins; they don't know the language of mercy" - Bob Schneider

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2004, 08:31:40 AM »
the more i use message boards, the lower the peoples' IQs that i come across are.

You haven't posted a single intelligent comment since joining us here.  People are responding in kind to your posts.  Common denominator:  you.  Everywhere you post, you post useless drivel.  People respond in kind.  Therefore, every else is an idiot.  Brilliant.  Simply brilliant.  Take a look in the mirror, jackass.

and why am i an asshole for pointing out the truth...

Truth?  Where is this truth of which you speak?  You're an asshole because you're making inappropriate, presumptuous, judgemental, derogatory comments regarding people about whom you know nothing.  There's no truth in your comments.

and how can you not afford a DVD burner but afford decent taping equipment?  dvd burners for towers are down to $50 and external firewire ones are only $100...

Try using that brain of yours, Mr. IQ, or is basic math a stretch for you?  Perhaps one doesn't make all that much money to begin with and stretches their finances to purchase the gear and is able to maintain just enough discretionary income to attend concerts here and there.  Hence, no discretionary income for a DVD burner, even a $50-$100 burner.  But really, that isn't even the issue - he'd simply rather build a new tower first.  Try reading the post again and pay attention this time:

I still have no DVD burner for archiving / burning my 24 bit recordings. I have been just leaving them on HDD until I can afford a burner. I was about to buy 1 and realized that I don't have a tower with enough juice to install a DVD burner. My laptop is the only machine that has the specs and I would prefer to just build an new tower to kill a few birds with stone.

anyway, dont complain about in a hobby that requires money for good equipment

No one complained.  Someone simply stated the fact they can't afford a DVD burner at the moment and have a plan to include one when they build a new tower.  Huh, whaddya know...another presumptuous comment from our new jackass troll.  ::)

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2004, 11:23:14 AM »
ignore the troll....
In Tyler we Trust

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2004, 11:40:38 AM »
ignore the troll....

Yeah, I usually do, but I've been cranky lately.  Good advice, CF...thanks for snapping me out of it...  :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2004, 11:56:11 AM »
hehe, they are tough to ignore, but they do what they do for one reason, to illicit a response...................
In Tyler we Trust

Offline mizary

• Taperssection Member
  • Bam!
    • Go buy some Elvis stuff!
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2004, 12:28:06 PM »
I download at work and archive to cd's (no dvd burner... yet)

But even if I did have a DVD burner at work I don't know if I'd want to put 4 different shows (possibly from 4 different bands) on one DVD.  I organize my discs in spindles alphabetically/chronologically...  Occasionally I will stick a short show on a disc with another show...  but when I do that... to find the show I have to look it up off my list on etree and look at my notes to see what disc the show is on.  A PAIN in the butt.

DVD's per MB are cheaper than CD-Rs now...  $1 for 4.7GB is cheaper than $0.20 for 700MB.

However if all my shows were on DVD I would have to do that to find anything.

But I guess it would be nice when you have 3-4 similar shows (like 4 sources from the same show, or a 4 show run) on a single DVD...  this would fit nicely into my spindle system.

As for moving stuff from cd -> dvd...  I'd thought about that...  But I don't think it would be worth it.  It wouldn't be much more convienient.  And would take forever.  I'd also thought about doing this so I would have 2 backups...  but with BT and hi speed inet...  it's super easy to find most shows...  If my copy of XXX gets lost or destroyed...  Who cares...  1,000 other people have a copy.  There is just too much music out there for me to worry about losing a show or two.  Also in a few years archive.org could have 500,000 shows.

--mizary
Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com