Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Studio Projects Mics??  (Read 6501 times)

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Studio Projects Mics??
« on: April 24, 2003, 10:02:55 PM »
I'm poking around looking for new mics and have been looking at the Studio Projects C4 pair.  I liked my old AKG 393s and from looking at the graphs the C4s look like they may be similar.  The bad thing I see is that they are only 40-20,000hz.

Anyone heard these things??  Any thoughts??  For about $350 for a pair with card and omni caps I'm really curious......any imput is appreciated!!!!!!!!! ;D
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline beeco

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Copyright 2008, a production of Camp Totally Lit
Re:Studio Projects Mics??
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2003, 11:35:12 AM »
I just ordered a pair of these mic's sight unseen (and totally unheard) and plan to try them out at the SCI shows in Sedona on Memorial Day.  If they suck, you'll see them for sale dirt cheap on this site.  If not, I'll post a follow-up and would be glad to provide a copy of the tape/cd so you can check out how they sound.  I plan to tape one night with the card's and one night with spaced omni's.   All of SP's other mics got rave reviews, but I'm sure I'm still rolling the dice for $369 for a pair of Chinese mics....
Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR
Now you don't:   CA-14c  or DPA4061 > CA ST-9100 > R-09HR

"Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and or roll!" Reverend Lovejoy

Offline beeco

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Copyright 2008, a production of Camp Totally Lit
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 10:22:06 PM »
Just got back from SCI/Sedona and am very impressed with these mics, especially for the price. Very accurate across the spectrum and plenty of bass (who can hear sounds at 40hz anyway?). The shock mounts that came with them were crap, so PMI is replacing them for free. I'll be a happy taper at Telluride in a few weeks!
Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR
Now you don't:   CA-14c  or DPA4061 > CA ST-9100 > R-09HR

"Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and or roll!" Reverend Lovejoy

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 10:13:12 AM »
When I talked to Todd at Soundpure about getting some ADK TL's all he could talk about was how he liked the studio projects C3 more, and he has tested both. He loves the C3 which has switchable patterns, would love to try both out being that they both cost about the same.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Jason B

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 10:47:09 AM »
When I talked to Todd at Soundpure about getting some ADK TL's all he could talk about was how he liked the studio projects C3 more, and he has tested both. He loves the C3 which has switchable patterns, would love to try both out being that they both cost about the same.

Man! I would would use those Studio Projects mics for nothing. We had one at Full Sail...

What piece of junk!

-JB

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003, 11:04:31 AM »
Two points that I see on this thread.

1.) Don't discount a mic just because it "only" goes to 40hz.  The Gefells and I believe the Neumanns start to roll off at 40hz and nobody has ever accused those mics of being bass-shy.  That said, if you think that you cannot hear things below 40hz, step into my car and I will rock your socks off with bass well below 40hz.

2.) The guy at Soundpure probably tested the mics for close-mic situations like studio recording and I am sure that he believes what he says.  Does he have any expertise in what the mics would be used for in most of our applications?  I have heard Jason's recordings with the TLs and I would find it hard to believe that the Studio Projects mics perform better for far-field recording.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2003, 11:51:45 AM »

Man! I would would use those Studio Projects mics for nothing. We had one at Full Sail...

What piece of junk!

-JB

Well, Since they are made in the same factory with the same parts as the ADK mics I can't understand why!  No offense meant by this, but the main differences between ADK, MXL, Studio Projects, and other Chinese mics, are marketing not technology or quality; manufactures will try to convince you otherwise but talk to some of the pros who are producing mods for these mics and they will tell you they are 99% identical.  
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2003, 12:03:30 PM »
acutally, I asked Todd about far field recording, and he still said he preferred them. Just passing along what I heard. Let your ears decide, but they all look very similar.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Alan Hyatt

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Gear Designer
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2003, 12:23:03 AM »
As I am new here, I do not want to rock the boat, but to VA Taper...you do not have quite all the facts correct. There are a couple of ADK models that 797 Audio Still make, however most or more than 80% of the mics ADK offers up is from Feilo. Feilo is a huge company that used to make Marshall, but not anymore. Feilo also make SE Electronics, so if you look at both the ADK and SE Electronics web sites, you will find many similarities in the head grills and bodies. Feilo also make Cascade mics, PPA mics, Some Nady, some Joemeek, and the list goes on, but not all of them are identical..

As for my mics, we only use 797 to build Studio Projects and have for many reasons. Specifically, they build what we tell them to build. You can call me what you will or just think that I am all hype as I am a manufacturer as you say, but unless you come to our facilities and see what we do, then with all due respect, you are talking out your ass...No offence by this comment...:)

The funny thing is that some of you guys blasting certian mics makes me laugh. Not that you are not entitled to your opinions, because you are. It is just that it is my contention that your ears make you foolish. You see, if you came to our studios and we put all of these mics up including some Neumanns, AKG's or other good mics, turned you around and fed you some program material. I bet you would come up with different results on each of the program material we fed you. In fact we have done this many times and have made a lot of Pros feel very foolish.

I am not here to change yours or DB's mind, but if you are in a good room, and know what you are doing, you will get good results out of many different mics, no matter what the cost. Not every mic is right for every situation and many pick the wrong mics most of the time for the applications they need them for.

As for Full Sail, well probably 85% of the people coming out of Full Sail have no ears to begin with, and don't know shit from shinola other than they think they can be a recording engineer. If they did know what they were doing, they would all be hit making producers...but guess what???

So lets get down to the bottom line here. Any mic no matter how much, or how little it costs can be the best mic for a given application depending on the room, the conditions, the talent, and what equipment you interface it with, as well as how you gain stage the gear as well.

So again, you can think certian mics are crap, but in reality, you just never used them in the proper manner to really listen to them. If you think you have, and still don't like them, then you would know that they are not crap...you just picked them for the wrong job.... There are many Grammy winners out there using these mics!

Peace all... :)
Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group
Studio Projects, Joemeek, Toft Audio, Valley People
1845 W. 169th Street
Gardena,  CA  90247
tel: 310.323.9050
email: alan@pmiaudio.com
www.pmiaudio.com

Offline tadjblack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2003, 01:00:31 AM »
+T 8)
Its nice to hear from the source
Team Bama Alumni

Offline Alan Hyatt

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Gear Designer
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2003, 01:25:42 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys...

Be patient with me as I learn the way this group operates. So many boards are soooo different!

As for non believers, I gave up on non believers a long time ago.  Many times it takes a U87, or a C12, or an ELM250 to do the job..... Why, because they have a sound, just as all the mics from Germany, Austria, Japan, China, and many other countries do. So when you need that sound, you pick the mic.

I am just glad we are in a time where more guys can afford a real quality mic because 6 to 8 years ago, you had to spend $1,000.00 to get a decent mic. Now, $80.00 will do a real good job. Remember, there are those that can afford, and those that have to ask Mama!!!! :-X
« Last Edit: May 29, 2003, 01:26:32 AM by alanhyatt »
Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group
1845 W. 169th Street
Gardena,  CA  90247
www.pmiaudio.com

Offline Alan Hyatt

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Gear Designer
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2003, 01:49:34 AM »
Oh yeah,  Thanks for the tickets guys!  8)
Alan Hyatt
PMI Audio Group
1845 W. 169th Street
Gardena,  CA  90247
www.pmiaudio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com