Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The $5 Shockmount..  (Read 7595 times)

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
The $5 Shockmount..
« on: June 20, 2003, 02:03:40 PM »
I'm looking for a cheapie shockmount, and as I peruse google I find this:

http://www.maltedmedia.com/people/bathory/shock.html

Interesting approach, but a bit bulky.. Looks like Oktava's in the picture.  I don't think you could do any neat config's with it except AB though cause of the size but if you used smaller clamps you might be able to get by.  Something interesting for the DIY amongst us.

If anyone has a cheap mount they'd like to let go of or a single AT8410a drop me a line, I'm short one and also short on cash after dropping for new mic's and preamp...
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline jewgrass

• Taperssection Regular
  • Let's hear it for my band, Sexual Chocolate!
    • My concert pics
Re:The $5 Shockmount..
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2003, 02:17:01 PM »
I wouldn't be caught dead with those things!  :really_sucks:

I have an extra sabrasom layin' around if you want it...
"There's really only 3 kinds of beer in the world.  Warm beer.  Cold beer.  And NO beer."

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2003, 02:21:20 PM »
LOL, ya they are fugly but I was just giving props for the ingenious design.. I wouldn't have thought to use auto tube clamps.. :)

Drop me an IM about the Sambrasom, I need one soon.. Plan on getting an AT8410a here but won't have the $ in time to get it for Vernon, so I can mix and match a ghetto mount with my other 8410a I already have..  Some one else mentioned those Tensimount ones which would be perfect except you need mic clamps and the ones with my SC-T's are the 1/4" bit style instead  of the standard 5/8.
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline goose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 02:25:51 PM »
Mic holders for the tensimounts are $5 each (tops) at the shack or from the tensimount website - those are good bargain shock mount setups - I use them.  For what it is worth, I am going to be changing from them in the near future for ease of set up and a more compact shock mount.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2003, 02:54:24 PM »
ahhhh....some good old fashion ghetto mounts.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

jessedscott

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2003, 02:56:11 PM »
I think those were posted on Oade awile back, classic!

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2003, 04:18:08 PM »
Guitar Center carries cheap shock mounts.  They are like regular mic clips but have a little piece of rubber in between the clip and the threaded piece that ataches to the stand.  $5.00 a piece
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Todd R

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2003, 04:40:30 PM »
Another ~$5 shockmount option:   :P

And not quite so ghetto.   ;)  I built a pair of these when I first started taping.

Without too much detail, the basic idea is to use PVC "T" connectors that you can get from Home Depot.  First get a pair of the cheapest, most basic mic clamps from Radio Shack.  Unscrew them to get them apart, ditch the clamp portion, and use the 5/8" female mic/t-bar mount portion.  Take this to Home depot and pick up a couple PVC "T" connectors, where the RS 5/8" mount will fit pretty snugly into the bottom part of the T.  I think the PVC diameter is 1 1/2", but I'm not sure at this point.  Cram the RS 5/8" mount into the bottom part of the T and secure with epoxy.  On the two top ends of the T, use a hacksaw to cut in four notches parallel to each other (two notches each side, straddling the centerline) across the opening of the hole in both the horizontal and verticle direction.   Something like this as you look down into the PVC opening:

|_|
=( _ )=
    ||

Then stretch two rubber o-rings into the notches across the opening of the PVC, one horizontally, one vertically, making a checkerboard pattern with the o-rings across the PVC opening.  Do this on both sides of the PVC.  Insert the mic through the o-ring web, through the PVC, and through the other side of o-rings.  You can make them a bit less ghetto by either buyng black PVC (if you can find it) or by spray-painting it flat black.

They work pretty well, and are pretty compact.  And they're much cooler than those AT8410s that the masses use.  ;D

-Todd

Offline quantegy

• Taperssection Regular
  • AKG 391's > UA-5 > JB3
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2003, 05:09:08 PM »
 :jawdrop: those are horrible. I would love to see those in use at a show.  :lol:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com