Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Where do you buy your gear?  (Read 10711 times)

Offline Philthy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • www.alllove.com
    • Phil's Site
Where do you buy your gear?
« on: July 23, 2003, 01:14:37 AM »
If I decide to start taping, where should I be looking to purchase my gear.  I own a lot of pro audio gear, but none of it is portable...so I would be starting fresh.  Thanks for your help!

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am a real American
Re:Where do you buy your gear?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 01:16:43 AM »
http://cascademedia.net/
www.micsupply.com  (dave is a cool guy, but pricey)

im sure other people can fill in

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 01:28:25 AM »
Most of my current gear I've bought used from either here or the Oade Bros forum.

I've dealt with all of these retailers at one point or another - all have been positive experiences:

Cascade Media
Mic Supply
Sonic Sense
Oade Bros (new, not used from forum)
Masterpiece AV (Dale Pro Audio)

For media, check out the Retail Space section.  You'll find info on a TS.com discount at Cascade Media.  Sonic Sense posts some discounts there, too.  And various people post links every so often about deals to be had.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 02:59:57 AM »
I buy used and have bought from Sonic Sense. Good times.

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 04:26:31 AM »
Some places I've used with positive results:

Media:
  • Terrapin Tapes (usually has some of the best prices -- not always, but usually).
  • Cassette House (sale items only. Otherwise can be pricey. Stocks real DAT tape cheaper than others though).
  • Oade Brothers (stocks hard to find Maxell from Japan DAT tapes for a lot less than others -- although it looks like Maxell only uses tape from Japan now)
Decks:
  • Terrapin Tapes (almost always cheaper than anybody else for new decks).
Other hardware (mics, windscreens, mixers, etc)
  • Oade Brothers (very nice and knowledgeable)
  • Klay Anderson Audio (Klay does a lot of high end studio stuff, and has been doing audio work himself for 35 years. He knows audio. Like Dave from Mic Supply a really nice guy too. About 80% of my gear comes from Klay. He is a distributor for a lot of stuff, so if you want something give him a call he is probably a distributor. He doesn't stock a lot, but can usually have stuff drop shipped from the factory very quickly.)
  • Mic Supply (Dave is a taper himself, and a wonderful guy. But as already mentioned may not have the best pricing in the world).
  • Sweetwater Audio (These guys move a lot of gear and thus have a lot of stuff. I always call because the price listed is not always what you can get it for if you talk to them. I tend to use these guys for software and more generic stuff because I really like to support the "little guys")
Anyhow, that's my list. Brian, maybe we could turn this into a FAQ type thing. (just an idea).

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline iphone

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 05:36:43 AM »
macmidimusic.com

DaryanLenz

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2003, 08:51:16 AM »
This is easy...I find the best price, I e-mail Jamie and Dan at masterpiece (Daleproaudio), and they beat it!  Yes, it is that simple!

Daryan

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2003, 10:11:22 AM »
My recent purchases have been from these retailers:
Oade
Terrapin Tapes
B&H Photo/Video
Full Compass
Markertek

I've also used Sonic Sense, Sound Professionals, Core-Sound, Masterpiece/Dale with no complaints.

I think all of the "taper friendly" retailers will match competitors' prices, but maybe not the big mail/web-order company prices.  Shop around and tell your favorite retailer what you've found - they will likely come close, if not match it, to keep your business.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2003, 10:14:11 AM »
I buy mostly from Sonic Sense, but I have used all the retailers at some point or another.  One thing that I have been doing lately for microphone stuff is to contact the distributors directly and ask for their best price.  Usually none of the retailers can touch it.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2003, 10:18:49 AM »
Sonic Sense has always been great with questions and prices.

Ebay and used forums get quite a bit of business from me....

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2003, 10:19:41 AM »
Sonic Sense

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2003, 10:31:35 AM »
It's also fairly safe to buy from other tapers on this forum or over at Oade Bros.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2003, 11:02:51 AM »
got my current rig from sweetwater sound's trading post...i called it the taper starter package...got a d8, stock sbm1, rmr-3d and at822 stereo mic and a huge pelican case for under $600. I used this package for about a year....

i have since bought some new 391 mic off ebay

i am assembling all the things i need to run those mics now: the phantom power, line converters, good shock mounts(8410's) and a shure verticle stereo bar. all these items i have gotten used from people on this taperssection board, or the oade used gear board, or the dat heads list.

i have found that tapers are very friendly, and have a certain integrity to them above the average ebay transaction, possibly because we all know this ain't a cheap hobby

good luck on your quest....you may want to sell/trade some of your studio gear for the portable gear, that's what I did...sold a fostex model 80 analog 8 track 1/4" real-to-real deck, and adat xt(have 2 more though) to feed this habit

chris k
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2003, 10:24:01 AM »
Most of my gear is either from the Oade Bros. or bought used.  Most all will price match.  If you want service then go Oade.  They do it in house and do it right.  They have gotten so busy that they don't work on "much" gear that they haven't sold from their shop...the customer comes first ;)  Good techs, nice people and knowledgeable tapers, let alone a sound engineer.

my 0.02
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2003, 11:57:13 AM »
I'll recomment buying used gear.  Much more economical.  Most questions can be answered on this forum by users.  If you require something new, call or email around and see who has the best price.  They are going to have similar prices, but service is the going to be the main difference.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com