Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Please post your MT CompactFlash experiences...  (Read 8267 times)

Offline raddygast

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Please post your MT CompactFlash experiences...
« on: January 11, 2006, 06:11:31 PM »
Hi all,

I've been communicating with m-audio tech support, and am probably going to have a unit exchange done to see if that's my problem. It might be my CF card... but I doubt it, and I don't want to plunk down extra cash for another card only to find it was a unit problem.

Nevertheless, if the problem persists with a new MT unit, I wanted to know your experiences with CF cards. M-Audio has a very very strange list of tested cards, omitting many major brands. On top of that, a tech guy admitted to me that some of the cards on the list "have problems." (so why are they on the list?) As for recommended cards, he recommended the Kodak ones. But Kodak CF cards are made by Lexar anyway, and they aren't made in large sizes (I don't think M-Audio have tested the ones that are larger than the pre-packaged 64MB card that comes with the MT).

So could you all please post your CF cards and any experiences you have with them? What speeds are recommended, etc. What different brands.

The card I use is the Kingston Elite Pro 50x 1GB 1024-S. 

Offline branas

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Please post your MT CompactFlash experiences...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 08:59:16 PM »
Hitachi 4GB Microdrive - 24bit/44.1 - File 1 = 1:45:00, File 2 1:30:00, File 3, 00:15:00 - No problems
Sandisk 2GB Ultra II - 16bit/44.1 - File 1 = 00:45:00 - No problems
Mobile - C414B-XLS/ST->V3->744T
Home/Studio - Various Mics->RNP/Vintech Dual72/Focusrite OctoPre->Digi002->ProToolsLE

Offline gl0bber

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 09:31:28 PM »
Garden variety (slow) PNY 1GB: 00:20:00 24/96: No Problems  ;) , 00:48:00 24/44.1: No Problems, Firmware 1.2.3

This old card was just for testing my brand spanking new MT.  It's not been "blessed," so I'm going to pick up a Hitachi MD ASAP.

Aside: Does anybody have difficulties with the Nav wheel?  I find it too sensitive.  If I'm not extremely quick when I flick  ;D, the darn rocker switch bounces past the menu selection I want, so I have to go back around for a second attempt.  With practice, I'm getting better, but it just seems wrong.  I tried searching the forums to no avail.  Am I alone with this problem?

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 09:39:14 PM »
Rosewill 1GB CF (not sure on speed, will check when I get home):

Ran for 57 minutes @ 16/44.1 without issue. (AT943 > SP-SPSB-6 > MT)
Ran for 12 minutes @ 16/44.1 without issue. (AKG C1000S > UA-5 > MT)

It is worth noting that for the 57 minute run, I ran two test recordings to get my levels right (opening bands were used to test) and the first one I recorded was not recoverable from the CF card.  The other test recording transfered fine, though.

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 11:45:02 PM »
Based on my experience with the Hitachi 6GB MD, the thing to test is recording analog to WAV. That's where I experienced problems with the MD not being able to keep up with the MT.

I recently picked up a Ridata 4GB CF but I think I got a bad card...I can't get it to format at anything other than 2GB (even with FAT32) and neither the MT or my PMD660 will read it.

Craig
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 06:47:46 AM »
I've done many shows with my Sandisk Ultra II 4 GB card, with no problems.  All were recorded with the S/PDIF input.  most at 24 bit, 48 kHz.  the first few (before the firmware allowed 24 bit recording via S/PDIF) were done at 16 bit, 48kHz.  I've also been using this setup for DAT transfers (S/PDIF at 16 bit, obivously).  no problems encountered yet.

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 12:14:42 PM »
Kingston 45x - no probs with card itself.

Offline raddygast

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 12:27:24 AM »
A request for all those of you who have 1 GB CF cards. Could you please try recording 16-bit 44.1 WAV on a freshly formatted card, starting only one recording, and letting it run until it runs out of space?

Based on what jtessier said, I'm suspecting this may be a problem with all 1GB cards. If it is, I want to let m-audio know about it right away.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 10:36:45 AM »
A request for all those of you who have 1 GB CF cards. Could you please try recording 16-bit 44.1 WAV on a freshly formatted card, starting only one recording, and letting it run until it runs out of space?

Based on what jtessier said, I'm suspecting this may be a problem with all 1GB cards. If it is, I want to let m-audio know about it right away.

what did jtessier say, and what issue are you talking about?  I also have a regular Sandisk 1GB CF card (not the Ultra II or Ultra III or Extreme, just the regular series).  I didn't post about this card originally, because I've only used it twice.  both times to record an opening band, and both times at 16 bit, because of space constraints on the card (both times were 16 / 48 via the S/PDIF input).  at 16/48, the card gave me a correct total time of ~1hour, 30 minutes.  but both times, the opener only played an hour or so, so I've never completely filled this card.  But I haven't had any issue with the card.

What problems are you having?

Offline gl0bber

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 11:14:07 AM »

As part of the battery of tests on the new MT, I recorded 16/44.1, 24/44.1, 24/96 and filled my PNY 1GB card, single files only.  I have no problems to report.

Offline raddygast

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 05:55:58 PM »
gl0bber, you recorded one file, and let it run by itself, letting it quit at the end of the card on its own? That's the main issue for me -- five seconds before time runs out it gets confused, and craps out, corrupting the file.

JasonSobel -- the test I am looking for is to simply format a 1 GB card under fw 1.2.3, and press record (16-bit 44.1 stereo WAV), and then leave the unit unattended. You don't need to hook up any mics -- just choose the 1/4" TRS inputs and don't plug anything in (also choose 27dB digital boost just to keep all the variables the same as mine). Then leave it recording.

In about 1:38:37 seconds (actually, five seconds before time runs out) it may stop recording and ruin the file, showing "1/1 00:00:00/00:00:00".

However, it may quit gracefully. Usually when the "media is full!" popup comes on the screen, it's saving gracefully. In my case on the 1 GB card it just pauses a bit, gets confused, and then drops into stop mode, showing the file length to be 00:00:00.

Do not just record an arbitrary amount of time and press stop -- I am interested in the behaviour of the unit at the END of a 1GB media.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 05:57:30 PM by raddygast »

Offline rpanter

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 06:30:14 PM »
I'm using a Kingston standard (not Elite) 1GB card and that seems to work OK.  I've also had problems with the NAV control being difficult to use.

Offline gl0bber

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 12:00:48 PM »
gl0bber, you recorded one file, and let it run by itself, letting it quit at the end of the card on its own? That's the main issue for me -- five seconds before time runs out it gets confused, and craps out, corrupting the file.

JasonSobel -- the test I am looking for is to simply format a 1 GB card under fw 1.2.3, and press record (16-bit 44.1 stereo WAV), and then leave the unit unattended. You don't need to hook up any mics -- just choose the 1/4" TRS inputs and don't plug anything in (also choose 27dB digital boost just to keep all the variables the same as mine). Then leave it recording.

In about 1:38:37 seconds (actually, five seconds before time runs out) it may stop recording and ruin the file, showing "1/1 00:00:00/00:00:00".

However, it may quit gracefully. Usually when the "media is full!" popup comes on the screen, it's saving gracefully. In my case on the 1 GB card it just pauses a bit, gets confused, and then drops into stop mode, showing the file length to be 00:00:00.

Do not just record an arbitrary amount of time and press stop -- I am interested in the behaviour of the unit at the END of a 1GB media.

Sorry about the delay, but the test took longer than I expected.  I have bad news (or good news depending on your POV):  With the detailed instructions you've given I was able to duplicate the error.  The file fills the 1 GB PNY card yet reports 00:00:00/00:00:00, 0 kb file size (Audition hangs when trying to open it).

But wait, it gets more interesting.  I carried out the test while the MT was connected to the USB power/charger.  Thirty minutes after filling the card it proceeded to APO (auto power off, which I had enabled).  The manual implies that this should only happen on internal battery power.  Anyhow, after power off it displayed a screen I never expected.  It was blank except for a huge animated filling battery icon smack in the middle, like it was charging.  The icon measured about 1cm x 2cm, i.e. really big.  About 6 hrs(!) later, it stopped the animation and became solid as in fully charged, while keeping the same size.  This neat charging screen should be the default, IMHO.  But the firmware charging algorithm desperately needs fixing.

It's just raining bugs   ;D

I've got a special arrangement with a vendor for this "test" MT.  I'm putting it through its paces for a couple of weeks and will track down bugs for them.  After this period I have the option to buy.  I'm starting to fall in love with it - maybe because of its endearing "personality?"  :lol:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 12:42:13 PM by gl0bber »

Offline raddygast

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 02:10:58 AM »
Ok, so we now have 3 reports of this problem. Anyone else with a 1GB card care to chime in? (i.e. follow the instructions I left for gl0bber and JasonSobel)

I'm going to email m-audio tech support.

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 11:59:55 AM »
Hitachi 4G microdrive & Kingston 45x Compact Flash==no probs
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline raddygast

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2006, 05:26:34 PM »
What size is the Kingston 45x CF? Is it the Elite Pro?

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2006, 06:10:13 PM »
What size is the Kingston 45x CF? Is it the Elite Pro?

just elite not pro - a 4 GB one is what i have... no problems - 5 shows now... ran for a total of 3.5 hours on NYE ar 24/48.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com