Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 4gb CompactFlash card $144 + $10 s/h  (Read 13305 times)

Offline hyperplane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: 4gb CompactFlash card $144 + $10 s/h
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2006, 11:43:52 AM »
as for the statement of staying "far away from standard SanDisk CF cards for audio recording no matter what the price," i would have to disagree with one stipulation: depending on what recording device one is using.

i use a standard SanDisk in my R-1, and have for months, with zero problems. another friend of mine has used a standard speed SanDisk CF card in his R-1 since early last year. again, with NO troubles. plus, the FAQ at Edirol's/Roland's website suggests using the standard SanDisk cards in the Edirol R-1.

caveat: the standard SanDisk cards may NOT work well, nor at all, in a MicroTrack. i have no idea. of course, the R-1 only records at 24/44.1, so it's possible the standard SanDisk may be too slow for 24/96 recording. (i'm not saying it's too slow for 24/96 for certain, but saying that's a possibility.) my experience, and the experience of a buddy who also uses a standard SanDisk CF card, is that the standard SanDisk CF card works well in the R-1, just as Edirol's/Roland's site suggests.

so, for any R-1 users out there who are looking for a good deal on a 4GB CF card, i'd say this is an excellent find.

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2006, 11:59:36 AM »
with the 671 you can test your CF cards. for me, i use the basic Sandisc CF card. some of the faster cards i have tried end up with a dropout somewhere in the recording. the _only_ card, of the few i have tried, that has been errorfree has been the basic sandisc red/blue card.

so i just tested both of my sandisc cards and get read/write speeds of >8000 kbps on one and >10k kbps on the other and the Delkin Efilm card shows>6000 kbps (and was supposed to be a better/faster card than the sandisc). 24/96 requires 4680 kbps, BTW.

anybody want to try-before-buy my Delkin?? might be fine for a 660 doing only 16/44.1 or 48. can give you a good price...

FWIW doug and i talked about this early on - i got one of the first 671's from his first shipment so less was known then about CF cards... but after some research into the cards' construction, i found out that there are two types of "handlers" in use in the cards. the slow ones handle one bit at a time and the "faster" cards handle two. anyway, neither of us came to any final conclusions on the issue

anyway, for me, the basic sandisc cards work. in some ways this issue reminds me of the "what is the best dat tape" issues of the early days of dat... that is why i would love to see a comprehensive survey on CF card/machine. i have also heard that CF cards are no longer the hot item. seems most cameras are moving to memory sticks or something...  anyway...

neil in san marcos
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
AKG 460's + CK61/CK63 or A60M + CK1/CK8/CK9  or MK46/CK1X/CK8X
Sennheiser K3U + MKE-2, ME20, ME40, ME80, ME88
Sennheiser MKH 110/2 x2 + MKH 110/1 powered via custom battbox
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Shure FP33 or Sony DMX P01
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
stealth: M1 > MKE-2/ME 20/ME40 in the hat
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2006, 12:36:29 PM »
Someone above mentioned that Sandisk is not a good bet for audio.  Anyone else want to back that up?  Why?

Not Sandisk as a manufacturer, just the older Sandisk cards. I've seen test results that showed them as the slowest cards tested by far, with write speed equivalent of 6X if I recall correctly.

Craig
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Needs to get out more...
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2006, 03:47:27 PM »
Someone above mentioned that Sandisk is not a good bet for audio.  Anyone else want to back that up?  Why?

Not Sandisk as a manufacturer, just the older Sandisk cards. I've seen test results that showed them as the slowest cards tested by far, with write speed equivalent of 6X if I recall correctly.

Craig
That's what I was hoping.  Thanks for the clarification Craig.
Socks are overrated.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2006, 07:46:46 PM »
with the 671 you can test your CF cards. for me, i use the basic Sandisc CF card. some of the faster cards i have tried end up with a dropout somewhere in the recording. the _only_ card, of the few i have tried, that has been errorfree has been the basic sandisc red/blue card.

so i just tested both of my sandisc cards and get read/write speeds of >8000 kbps on one and >10k kbps on the other and the Delkin Efilm card shows>6000 kbps (and was supposed to be a better/faster card than the sandisc). 24/96 requires 4680 kbps, BTW.

anybody want to try-before-buy my Delkin?? might be fine for a 660 doing only 16/44.1 or 48. can give you a good price...

FWIW doug and i talked about this early on - i got one of the first 671's from his first shipment so less was known then about CF cards... but after some research into the cards' construction, i found out that there are two types of "handlers" in use in the cards. the slow ones handle one bit at a time and the "faster" cards handle two. anyway, neither of us came to any final conclusions on the issue

anyway, for me, the basic sandisc cards work. in some ways this issue reminds me of the "what is the best dat tape" issues of the early days of dat... that is why i would love to see a comprehensive survey on CF card/machine. i have also heard that CF cards are no longer the hot item. seems most cameras are moving to memory sticks or something...  anyway...

neil in san marcos

So, Neil, what speeds/feeds are you using the basic SanDisc at?
I have used the Kingston Elite card sucsessfully at 24 bit, 48 kHz  with the PMD671, but haven't had it long enough to make lots of recordings.
When I get my 671 back from Doug, I guess I'll record my TV or something for a few nights at different resolutions to be sure the 671/Kingston Elite ccombo is solid. I got the Kingston card based on Doug's suggestion.
I'd also be happy to hear that I can use the basic SanDisc at high bit rates in my PMD 671. I've seen some good prices on those and I think prices will get even better soon.
Any additional info you can provide on your experience would be greatly appreciated.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2006, 07:53:09 PM »
chuck- the kingston card is rock solid IME. i have the same one you do. get out and tape. i wanna hear it.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Chuck

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2006, 08:09:01 PM »
chuck- the kingston card is rock solid IME. i have the same one you do. get out and tape. i wanna hear it.

Well, Doug is burning in my ACM 671 right now  ;D I just got the e-mail.
I should have it back next week. I haven't been this excited about a piece of gear in a long time...
If it turns out the basic SanDisc works well with the 671, I'll be getting one of those pretty quick.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2006, 08:17:25 PM »
lmk. the bottom is falling out on those sandisks. if they do indeed work, i will pick one up.

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Chuck

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper

Offline HBK216

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2006, 12:05:26 AM »
I have been using a standard Sandisk 4GB card with the FR-2 since last February. I have never had a problem recording on it & I have done recordings from 24/48 - 24/192.

I only wish I could have said the same thing about the PCMCIA hd which gave me errors no matter what I tried for 24 bit which is what led to getting a CF.

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2006, 12:15:11 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000243DOE/002-4963840-1582425?me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance&n=172282

$129.99 includes shipping

yowsa! +t, Chuck.

now, if only amazon didn't charge sales tax on my orders...

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2006, 11:15:43 AM »
So, Neil, what speeds/feeds are you using the basic SanDisc at?
I have used the Kingston Elite card sucsessfully at 24 bit, 48 kHz  with the PMD671, but haven't had it long enough to make lots of recordings.

same as you, i run 24/48

When I get my 671 back from Doug, I guess I'll record my TV or something for a few nights at different resolutions to be sure the 671/Kingston Elite ccombo is solid. I got the Kingston card based on Doug's suggestion.

yup doug recommended the same card, but i had spoken to D&M and somewhere i have an e-mail that indicated the basic sandisc was fine. spoke to tech later after wrestling with the Delkin, they denied ever supporting the sandisc basic.... so who the F knows...

I'd also be happy to hear that I can use the basic SanDisc at high bit rates in my PMD 671. I've seen some good prices on those and I think prices will get even better soon. Any additional info you can provide on your experience would be greatly appreciated.

well, i found the "dropouts" i got appeared during playback, so maybe record some music via rca in and then hook the 671 up to your stereo so you can do a thorough job of monioring the recording. also, i would spped test all my media, if the write speed does not equal the read speed, then the media is NG. format first BTW.

the other thing is to look into the RAW (read-after-write), which of course does not work in 24bit recording. However the VERIFY feature DOES work in all modes except MP2. but there is not a lot of data to say what it actually does. plus no one has discussed how the verify feature might affect write speed or any CF card speed issues. the manual sez you get an error message, but where do you go from there and where is the "error", in the card? in the write process? we need more info on this feature.

the reality is that according to my tests on my deck, the sandisc media is fast enough for 24/48, but so are the Belkin cards. so why do the Belkins have drops and not the sandiscs? i suppose i can do some recording with the Belkins and use the VERIFY feature and see what happens. if it reports an error that corresponds to a drop, then maybe it is a way to "test" media on the 671... aside from just buying media and going to a show and later finding out something went wrong...

and i am totally grooving on the price drops for CF cards. i have audioDVDcreator and would love to have an 8g card for cheap so i could do 24/96 and then burn to dvdv for friends to toss it in the dvd player. PLUS for playback at home i have a Sony TA-E9000ES with multiple digi ins and onboard D/A so i can feed anything i record direct to that for playback.

anyway, just my $0.02
neil in san marcos
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
AKG 460's + CK61/CK63 or A60M + CK1/CK8/CK9  or MK46/CK1X/CK8X
Sennheiser K3U + MKE-2, ME20, ME40, ME80, ME88
Sennheiser MKH 110/2 x2 + MKH 110/1 powered via custom battbox
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Shure FP33 or Sony DMX P01
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
stealth: M1 > MKE-2/ME 20/ME40 in the hat
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

Offline Chuck

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2006, 02:18:38 PM »
Thanks Neil  +T

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2006, 06:49:33 PM »
i'm more than certain that the "slow" sandisc card can handle two channel 24/48 w/o incident.  Afterall, if hardware manufacturers are suggesting at least 45x for mult-track 24/192...then i wouldnt worry about two track at anything under 24/96

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com