Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: $100 DIY 1024/1280 LCD video projector  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
$100 DIY 1024/1280 LCD video projector
« on: October 02, 2006, 12:07:27 PM »
Built a video projector Friday out of an old 15" LCD display with a dead backlight, a surplus old high school overhead projector, a computer fan and some foam core board and the neighbors garage wall (screen).  Disassembled the monitor to take the LCD screen element with boards and VGA cable out and placed it on the overhead projector.  12v computer fan to cool it and foam core to crop the image and block some stray light. Pluged in a laptop with a DVD drive and voila! Watched surf & concert movies on a 136" projected image in the back yard all night (largest image that would comfortably fit the wall), giggling occasionally like little girls.

DIY projector site: http://www.lumenlab.com/diyprojector.php?ref=
They DIY the whole projector with lenses, box and light source in addition to to the old LCD monitor element.. image is probably brighter than an overhead projector, but we didn't have to build a box or work out the light source or focusing.  Just too easy. Total geek boner.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: $100 DIY 1024/1280 LCD video projector
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 02:41:19 PM »
Built a video projector Friday out of an old 15" LCD display with a dead backlight, a surplus old high school overhead projector, a computer fan and some foam core board and the neighbors garage wall (screen).  Disassembled the monitor to take the LCD screen element with boards and VGA cable out and placed it on the overhead projector.  12v computer fan to cool it and foam core to crop the image and block some stray light. Pluged in a laptop with a DVD drive and voila! Watched surf & concert movies on a 136" projected image in the back yard all night (largest image that would comfortably fit the wall), giggling occasionally like little girls.

DIY projector site: http://www.lumenlab.com/diyprojector.php?ref=
They DIY the whole projector with lenses, box and light source in addition to to the old LCD monitor element.. image is probably brighter than an overhead projector, but we didn't have to build a box or work out the light source or focusing.  Just too easy. Total geek boner.

I guess you'll be surfing the 'hoff bikini thread on this one then?

+T for messing with DIY stuff.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 04:17:01 PM »
I was close to trying this a while ago.  Someone was hocking the instructions on ebay for like $10...  sounds pretty cool man.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 05:55:35 PM »
You can find all the info you need at the link above or with a simple Google search . 

I love doing this DIY stuff, especially the more mechanical type projects. I can do basic things with electronics unless it requires curcuit calculations or testing equipment more advanced than a multimeter.  I've designed a few circuit boards for motor relays at work, but if it has opamps in it then it's beyond me for now.  I've got a few projects in the back of my head that may urge me past that ignorance someday, but I've got a lot of respect for the guys who really understand and can mod that stuff, such as you Richard. +T
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com