Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "Etiquette" in uploading shows to LMA  (Read 3063 times)

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
"Etiquette" in uploading shows to LMA
« on: October 24, 2006, 09:05:08 PM »
So, I've NEVER uploaded a show before, as I just entered the 20th century with broadband.  I've got a TON of masters, dating back nearly 20 years.  Many of the shows already have sources on the LMA.  Some sources sound better than my masters, others not as good.  For instance:

Last week, New Monsoon 10/20/06

Will_S (from here) threw his audience copy up on LMA ->http://www.archive.org/details/nm2006-10-20.u873rhc.flac16f

Lobster threw his board copy up -> http://www.archive.org/details/nm2006-10-20.flac16

My copy is
SBD + AUD (KM184's > V3) > R-4 @ 24/44

What is general protocol with regards to uploading?  If everyone who recorded a show uploaded, servers would blow up (well, not really, but it would be a drag).  This goes for older shows as well.  Just want to do the right thing.

Mike
Socks are overrated.

Offline neumannkid

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Shows Ive taped on the archive
Re: "Etiquette" in uploading shows to LMA
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 09:07:35 PM »
IF it sounds good and represents a different source for the show/set then throw it up there so others can choose for themselves.

dorrcoq

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 10:24:22 PM »
This won't directly answer your question, but I have a real problem with shows on the archive having SBE's.  I would think that the mere fact this is the permanent ARCHIVE would drive people to ensure their upload was as perfect as possible.  Even more frustrating is pointing this out to uploaders and being told "well, you can't hear them anyhow." :'(

Offline balou2

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 10:26:24 PM »
This won't directly answer your question, but I have a real problem with shows on the archive having SBE's.  I would think that the mere fact this is the permanent ARCHIVE would drive people to ensure their upload was as perfect as possible.  Even more frustrating is pointing this out to uploaders and being told "well, you can't hear them anyhow." :'(
Are soundboards not allowed to be uploaded to the archive?
Socks are overrated.

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 10:30:40 PM »
One of the archive.org engineers just said that compared to the other sections of the archive, the LMA is a drop in the bucket - like 1% of their total storage, maybe even less. So go ahead and upload unless your source is seriously flawed. You never know if your originals might get messed up, zapped, lost, damaged...you'll be glad you had a backup somewhere! :)

Soundboards are allowed...dorrcoq is referring to sector boundary errors (SBEs) not soundboards (SBDs). Or silent-but-deadlies. ;D
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 10:40:18 PM »
Soundboards are allowed...

Just to clarify:  for band's whose policies allow it, anyway.  It's band-specific, not a blanket thing.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline balou2

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 10:48:30 PM »
Sounds good.  Thanks for the opinions.  Worst case scenario, I guess, is extra sources posted.
Socks are overrated.

dorrcoq

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 11:05:01 PM »
Sounds good.  Thanks for the opinions.  Worst case scenario, I guess, is extra sources posted.

If it's a band I collect, I want all the sources I can find.  I think a lot of people feel the same.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 11:29:22 PM »
If you read New Monsoon's taping policy, they explicitly encourage multiple sources and tapers setting up independently rather than patching out of each other:

"When there are multiple tapers at a given show, we hope that the tapers will take the opportunity to experiment with different mics and different locations.  In other words, try to avoid patching out of the same source.  Stuff happens, machines break.  The more sources, the better chance of some excellent tape being pulled."

Reading that was what inspired me to post up without waiting to see how your copy turned out.

So I say go for it!  I know I want to hear your tape and it's probably the best one for the ages.  Even with the hypers I got too much room and the straight soundboard strikes me as kind of flat sounding.

Heck, lots of the Dead shows on the archive have four or five different sources posted.

Offline Geoff G

• Taperssection Regular
  • MMMmm...pretty colors. Pass the tea please.
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 01:48:01 AM »

If it's a band I collect, I want all the sources I can find.  I think a lot of people feel the same.
What he said.  I often stream all sources before downloading for my archive.  Personally, I have learned a lot by listening to certain gear against other gear.  DO EEET
(MK8/MK41/MK4V/MK2 -> KC5/CMC6) or (Neumann U89's)  -> AM Sorcerer -> 2 x Sonosax SX-M2 -> AM Sorcerer -> Mytek 192 -> 744t

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com