Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 722 batteries and charger  (Read 9763 times)

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 722 batteries and charger
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 10:22:47 PM »
Dunno if it is still going on...

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=130898.msg1722027#msg1722027

Hey Josh,
I have one of those generic chargers...got it off ebay for about $8 or $9 bucks shipped.

I bought it so I can keep it in my bag when out and about during my travels.  The SD charger is heavy and bigger, so I leave that in my hotel room (or wherever I'm staying).

Then, if my stuff gets stolen out of my room, I still have a charger to use.   Also, 2 extra benefits:
1. this charger can plug into a car lighter jack
2. i can charge 2 at a time while sleeping

Downside.....VERY slow.  About 13-16 hours to fully charge one of the big batteries :(

Batteries...I have always used generics with no problems.

Hey, how do you get free shipping with amazon?
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline sparkey

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 03:02:03 PM »
The chargers do seem to be doing their job....I've got two chargers, three larger batteries and the stock battery to work with.  Hopefully I can find some power during the day to charge.....

Hey Josh,
I have one of those generic chargers...got it off ebay for about $8 or $9 bucks shipped.

I bought it so I can keep it in my bag when out and about during my travels.  The SD charger is heavy and bigger, so I leave that in my hotel room (or wherever I'm staying).

Then, if my stuff gets stolen out of my room, I still have a charger to use.   Also, 2 extra benefits:

Downside.....VERY slow.  About 13-16 hours to fully charge one of the big batteries :(

Offline sparkey

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 01:39:53 PM »
One of the two chargers I purchased appears to have died.....I'm unsure if I got my $1.99 out of it.

The chargers do seem to be doing their job....I've got two chargers, three larger batteries and the stock battery to work with.  Hopefully I can find some power during the day to charge.....

Hey Josh,

Offline midside

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 01:56:20 PM »
That's sucks, mine works fine, but VERY slow.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 07:20:07 AM »

Are there any "smart chargers" for the "standard, plug in the back of the unit" 722 dvd batteries?  I'd love to see if I can revive the three DEAD dvd batteries that are gathering dust for my 722...

Also, has anyone powered their 7xx recorder via the Hirose connector on the side of the box?  I'm thinking about running my 722 using a Tekkeon battery.
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 01:19:17 PM »
Usually when Li-Ion batteries go dead they can’t be revived, but perhaps others have a different experience?

As for using the Hirose connector for external batteries, I do that all the time.  I built a cable with the Hirose on one end and banana plugs on the other.  Then I connect the bananas to various battery packs.  I have used 12 V SLA packs, 14.4V power tool batteries, a 12.8 V LiFePO4 battery, and a battery pack consisting of two Sony M-type batteries connected in series.

The 12.8 V LiFePO4 battery is the power for a bicycle light, and it's also perfect for a 722.

http://www.batteryspace.com/waterbottlelifepo4battery128v6800mah8704whforhidhalogenbikelighttrial-techfemaleplug.aspx

This battery will run my 722 for over 8 hours.  Just don’t try to take it on to an airplane; it looks way too much like a bomb.

Here are some tips:
1. DON’T EXCEED 18 V INTO THE EXTERNAL (Hirose) CONNECTOR!  Sound Devices says > 18 V will cost you an expensive repair.  Note that “18 V” power tool batteries will be much greater than 18 V when charged, so DON’T CONNECT “18 V” POWER TOOL BATTERIES.

2. In the 722, the switchover from external battery to internal battery can sometimes cause the unit to shut down.  This is because the 722 will toggle from internal to external as the external battery recovers when its load is removed.  So you can’t just assume you can change the external battery after the power has automatically switched to internal.  The switchover occurs at about 9 V, which is lower than you want to discharge a 12 to 15 V battery anyway.  In particular, Li-Ion doesn’t like deep discharges.

3. Soldering to the Hirose is difficult because the pins are so small and so close together.  Make sure you don’t short pins due to excess solder.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 03:17:49 PM »
Usually when Li-Ion batteries go dead they can’t be revived, but perhaps others have a different experience?

As for using the Hirose connector for external batteries, I do that all the time.  I built a cable with the Hirose on one end and banana plugs on the other.  Then I connect the bananas to various battery packs.  I have used 12 V SLA packs, 14.4V power tool batteries, a 12.8 V LiFePO4 battery, and a battery pack consisting of two Sony M-type batteries connected in series.

The 12.8 V LiFePO4 battery is the power for a bicycle light, and it's also perfect for a 722.

http://www.batteryspace.com/waterbottlelifepo4battery128v6800mah8704whforhidhalogenbikelighttrial-techfemaleplug.aspx

This battery will run my 722 for over 8 hours.  Just don’t try to take it on to an airplane; it looks way too much like a bomb.

Here are some tips:
1. DON’T EXCEED 18 V INTO THE EXTERNAL (Hirose) CONNECTOR!  Sound Devices says > 18 V will cost you an expensive repair.  Note that “18 V” power tool batteries will be much greater than 18 V when charged, so DON’T CONNECT “18 V” POWER TOOL BATTERIES.

2. In the 722, the switchover from external battery to internal battery can sometimes cause the unit to shut down.  This is because the 722 will toggle from internal to external as the external battery recovers when its load is removed.  So you can’t just assume you can change the external battery after the power has automatically switched to internal.  The switchover occurs at about 9 V, which is lower than you want to discharge a 12 to 15 V battery anyway.  In particular, Li-Ion doesn’t like deep discharges.

3. Soldering to the Hirose is difficult because the pins are so small and so close together.  Make sure you don’t short pins due to excess solder.

And those connectors arn't necessarily cheap either...
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline piperedworm

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Email - piperedworm@yahoo.com
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 10:17:34 AM »
For the SD I use the NPL-60 Battery and the Battery Cup with the Hirose Connect.  Got them from B and H.  Not cheap, but it will run my SD powering my Mics for almost 13 hours before tapping into the internal Battery.  The nice thing about it is my orange light comes on during the first set telling me my internal battery is charged.  It also allows me to plug in a firewire drive if I need to.

Jeff
Mics - Neumann skm184, Busman BSC2 Actives
Pre - SD Usb-pre2
Recorder - SD744

Offline Kung420

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 01:30:50 PM »
Jeff,

Good call NP-L60. Your right it's not cheap, but I love it! ;D

Jason
AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/CK 61/ CK 63 > SD 702

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2010, 08:21:09 AM »
Could you guys link to the battery and battery cup? I found a NP1 battery cup but can't figure out how you would use it with the NPL-60 battery I'm seeing.

Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Kung420

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2010, 09:54:37 AM »
Slides right into the cup.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/333350-REG/Switronix_NP_L60_NP_L60_Li_Ion_Chemistry_NP_1.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/293012-REG/Sound_Devices_XL_NPH_XLNPH_NP_Type_Battery.html#reviews

« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 10:41:27 AM by Kung420 »
AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/CK 61/ CK 63 > SD 702

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.123 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com