Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: should fast forward your tapes before recording  (Read 3521 times)

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am a real American
should fast forward your tapes before recording
« on: August 08, 2003, 11:34:42 PM »
I read (i think ttapes) that you should fast forward your tapes to the end then rewind them and then record.  They said it evens the lubricant.  Is this true or just bullhockey?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re:should fast forward your tapes before recording
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2003, 11:38:25 PM »
I dont know about the lubricant, but from what it is supposed to unpack your tapes.  Best way I know how to describe it is when they are manufactured, they are put on the reel similar to the way an airwrench tightens the lugnuts on your tires...extremely tight.  By ff and then rewinding, it unpacks them for normal use.

I did not believe it til I did not do it one time, and the tape would not play right in my deck...although I know some who dont do it, with no problems.  

also, I use a home deck for unpacking...dont want to put unnecessary wear on the D100 heads.

Offline The Rev. Bigbill

• Taperssection Member
  • SEXY TIME
    • the hedgehog
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2003, 11:38:32 PM »
I thought it had more to do with spool load and tape stretch. I used to do it and I never bother anymore to be honest
This Lebowski, he called himself the Dude.Now, Dude, that's a name no one would self-apply where I come from. But then, there was a lot about the Dude that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. And a lot about where he lived, like- wise. But then again, maybe that's why I found the place s'durned innarestin'.

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2003, 11:41:56 PM »
this is from ttapes

1. Always fast forward new DAT tapes (or analog tapes, for that matter) all the way to then end, then rewind to the beginning before using. This "unpacks" the tape and disperses any lubricant more evenly over the tape surface.

thanks i have been doing it in the past, just wanted to make sure i wasn't wasting my time

+T for quick answers

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2003, 12:01:56 AM »
In the recording studio where I work it is standard procedure to fast forward a DAT to the end and rewind it before recording on it.  When this procedure isn't followed the recorded DAT will sometimes not have start ID's registered correctly. I have seen this happen, first hand. This isn't necessarily a big concern for concert tapers, but is a huge problem for the mastering house and the plant that makes CD's from the DAT. I've also heard the "packing" explanation from the engineers. Packing the tape helps keep even tension as it records.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2003, 10:58:07 AM »
yes.  also, format a minute of tape with absolute time.  a little work on the front end, but great once you get into the field.

jr
we all live downstream.

jpschust

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2003, 07:36:04 PM »
do this on your home decks dont do this on your portables- this will wear your heads so fast on the portables

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com