Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Preamps that accept external clocking  (Read 7479 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Preamps that accept external clocking
« on: March 29, 2011, 10:34:16 AM »
So as I look around.  I realize that I want  (another)  preamp that will sync to an external source. Preferably SPDIF(coax) but since we are at it, might as well include all of them..Opti, WC & AES.  What it needs to be able to do is to accept an external signal for clocking and still use the analog inputs( mic) for it's sound source.   MUST OUTPUT DIGITAL( I am looking for SPDIF coax).  I know the Sound Devices USBPre2(SPDIF coax/opti will, I've used it.  from what I gather reading @ Tascam site, The US-600 & US-800(SPDIF coax) will set their rate according to incoming rate.  Same with the Apogee AD-1000( SPDIF coax, WC, AES)...And I assume the AD-500?  Lunatec V3(WC) What else are you guys using that fits these parameters?  Thanks in advance for your input.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:36:54 AM by kirkd »

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Preamps that accept external clocking
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 10:38:45 AM »
The Graham Patten DMIC-20 can sync to an external clock.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 11:03:35 AM »
Will a V3 clock against an external source? I thought it had to be the master clock in the chain.

If the criteria is really to receive a clock signal from somewhere else, the USBpre2 is the only one I can think of that fits that without being a recorder.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 11:30:20 AM »
Audient MiCO
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 11:43:30 AM »
Kirk just get an HD24 already.   ;D

kirk97132

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 11:59:11 AM »
Audient MiCO

Thought the V3 had WC in and out?

OK another qualifier...needs to play well with a Tascam DR-680.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:13:44 PM by kirkd »

kirk97132

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:02:59 PM »

Yeah yeah...I know and I've been looking at 'em but I can't afforda 680 AND an HD24.  Plus it needs AC power.  If I could just get ahead enough in funds to swing it.   I actually saw one on CL in Austin for $600 :o  But even at that price it was still outa reach.  Either that or if you know where I can get one for $200 I can swing that ;D  Wanna go in one together? I have some other folks who might down for joint ownership.

runonce

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 01:16:59 PM »

Yeah yeah...I know and I've been looking at 'em but I can't afforda 680 AND an HD24.  Plus it needs AC power.  If I could just get ahead enough in funds to swing it.   I actually saw one on CL in Austin for $600 :o  But even at that price it was still outa reach.  Either that or if you know where I can get one for $200 I can swing that ;D  Wanna go in one together? I have some other folks who might down for joint ownership.

For the kind of stuff you're doing these days - why such the premium on DC power?

Seems like these big multitracking adventures get you all the AC a guy could need?

kirk97132

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 01:35:09 PM »
True dat.... but if I wanna go record something else, I can't.  Not that I do a lot of stuff where I can't get AC power but every once in a while it's all battery power.  So I'm not willing to sell the 680.  And sometimes even at the places I'm doing multitracks I will still have things on battery power. It just depends on the situation.  I was leaning towards the Tascam US-800 but I just can't seem to pull the trigger on that unit.  And I want to be able to use the spdif coax in on two 680's.  The USBPre2 allows me to sync them so I really could get by with a plain spdif output.  There is a great thread on those.  I was thinking hell if I do this It would be nice to sync more than two since I have friends with 680's.  Didn't really want to spend the 650 another usbpre2 would cost so I was hoping this thread would reveal something I didn't know about. 

The GP DMIC is out of production it's now a 24 and I'm not thrilled by the dip switches.

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 03:59:16 PM »
Hmm... going in on one.  Team PDX multitracker.    8)

Offline Taper Jeff

• Taperssection Regular
  • Live LIVE
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 10:38:40 PM »
V3 definbitely only has WC OUT

I agree with Mark Kirk...get a dang HD24. Seems a far better solution than Frankensteining several decks together that may or may not clock properly.
A lot of the gear mentioned here in 16 bit...really wanna go back to the 20th century?
The times you need battery power are few & far between & when you do you don't need to run 8 channels.
Just run a pair of K1s & call it good...no need to muddy up the signal with a bunch of lesser mics from your collection.

(2x) AKG C 480 B (ck61s, ck63s) > Zaolla Silver Mic Cables > //OR//
(2x) TOA K1 cards > Zaolla Silver Mic Cables > //OR//
(2x) TOA YMM cards > KY's > Dasilvapath remotes > power modules> //
Lunatec V3 > Tascam HD-P2

>:D "If recording is outlawed, only outlaws will record" >:D

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper:%22Taper+Jeff%22

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 03:55:52 PM »
Although the preamps are nothing to write home about, the MOTU portable line will do this... though they are geared primarily as an external sound card for a computer, they operate stand-alone just fine. I've done what you want to do using my V3 as master clock, and slaving a MOTU Traveler and/or Ultralite to it. The MOTU devices run on a variety of DC voltages, and work just fine with any 9v or 12v DVD batteries.

kirk97132

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 04:02:58 PM »
Yeah but I'm not willing to part with the 680 and lets face it the HD24 will be an easy 750 to 1000.  I just ain't got that much extra play money laying around.  I know the USBPre2 syncs clocks perfectly.  So what I really would want now is a decent SPDIF output the external clocking would be nice but not necessary.  I could just keep using Josh's BM2p+ for now.  and you should know better, I'm not gonna run 16 bit.  and you also know me well enough to know I would only run a pair of mics if I was forced to.  And I'm still gonna keep my mic collection since I do a fair amount of stuff mic'ing bands and most of what I have is great for that.  Besides I now have a set of the BSC1's too And am considering a set of Nak 300 clones that I could get cheap...but back to preamps......The US-800 would allow two DI inputs, not the usual taper type stuff but handy for me.   I"d ask if you wanted to go in on the HD 24 but I know where your at with your recording gear right now. 

I have used a motu ultralite before but not as standalone.  I have looked at them and the focusrite 14 & 24 too. 

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 04:06:15 PM »
As has been discussed, the Lunatec V3's has wordclock out, but not in.  So if a V3 is in the mix, it has to be the master clock.

The Benchmark AD2K+ and the Mytek Stereo192 ADC both have wordclock in & out, and thus can easily be synced to an external clock.  and both of those are very high quality A/D converters.

kirk97132

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 12:59:53 PM »
The benchmark & Mytek are a little more than I want to spend.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.177 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com