Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: edirol ua-25  (Read 7026 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
edirol ua-25
« on: July 23, 2004, 03:50:42 AM »
I just stumbled onto this new (I assume) mic pre that runs on usb power and has compression.  Has anybody looked into this yet?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UA25/

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: edirol ua-25
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 09:08:19 AM »
Looks pretty shweet!  A smaller UA5, without optical, but w/ MIDI.  Slightly cheaper as well.
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 09:24:53 AM »
if you look at the rear panel, it has optical i/o but no coax. 

USB 2.0?
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 11:25:40 AM »
You are correct sir!  There wasn't a back panel pic that I could find at the above link, but after going to Edirol's site, I see Optical, but no Coax...  It just says USB, so it's prolly not 2.0 :'(
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 12:36:57 PM »
This looks like a nice option for lappy tapers, but for dat/jb3 tapers it still may be a nice piece.  I can't immagine it would be any trick to make a power rig through the usb connection... just figure out which wires hold the power, right?  I think edirol is a company that is listening to us tapers.  It seems as though it was designed for our purposes.  I hope somebody grabs one of these so it can be tested.  I wonder if the pre section is the same or if it has had a tweak.  I've been wanting to play around with compression in the field, so that feature is appealing to me.  Don't know if I would like it after I tried it but it would be nice to controll dynamics a little better sometimes!

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline InfiniteOhms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • LMA Uploads
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 12:43:32 PM »
looks pretty damn sweet!! the phantom switch is 10x better then on the ua-5.

I only see a few weaknesses (as compared to the ua-5)
* no 3 mic mixes, as there is no rear analog input
* posibly no 16 bit (?), unless the "advance" switch is a 16/24 bit switch.
* no external power jack (it would be nice to be able to split the power consumption between pre/ad and laptop.
ADK A-51s LE's > Oade W-mod UA-5 > Zoom H4n Pro if I bother to drag out a full rig. More often just the H4N Pro. My LMA tapes

Offline markgarrigan

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Third Fence Post
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 01:40:44 PM »
I have a factory UA-5 and am thinking about getting a digi-mod UA-5.  Does anyone think oade will pick up on this product and mod the power supply?  Or anyone here brave? and insured??  I'd love to get one of these knowing that the power supply can be modded.

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 02:21:35 PM »
I may be wrong, but 2 of the 4 cables in USB are for power, +5v and -5V.
it *SHOULD* just be a matter of putting a meter to the cable while plugged into a USB port to find out which pin is which, then splicing a USB cable to a 6V(or step it down to 5V) SLA or whatever else you wish to power it with.

of course, this is only practicle if the unit can operate standalone, ala digi-mod UA5(forgoing power req)

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Phil

• Taperssection Member
  • Control for smilers can't be bought
    • BitTorrentMusic.com
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 03:12:43 PM »
if you look at the rear panel, it has optical i/o but no coax. 

USB 2.0?

I think it's got the same jack as the fa-101, which is a combo jack, either coax or optical can be plugged into the same port.
AKG 481 > V3 > MT2496 or VXpocket 440 > Laptop

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 03:23:07 PM »
I may be wrong, but 2 of the 4 cables in USB are for power, +5v and -5V.
it *SHOULD* just be a matter of putting a meter to the cable while plugged into a USB port to find out which pin is which, then splicing a USB cable to a 6V(or step it down to 5V) SLA or whatever else you wish to power it with.

of course, this is only practicle if the unit can operate standalone, ala digi-mod UA5(forgoing power req)

I looked into doing the same thing w/ my Tascam 224, and it wouldn't pass signal unless hooked up to a puter.  I tested it this way:  plug it in the USB port, but don't install any drivers, and see if it passes signal.  Theoreticaly this should power the thing but wouldn't pass signal thru the puter, so then you could tell if the mod would work.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 04:17:31 PM by Scooter »
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

BobW

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2004, 11:27:47 AM »
compression with 24 bit ????
seems counter-productive.

Add dynamic range, loose dynamic range.........

zowie

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 01:01:16 AM »
More of a limiter.  Extra insurance against digital overs.  Question is at what cost in transparency.

Offline temis

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 10:17:19 AM »
* posibly no 16 bit (?), unless the "advance" switch is a 16/24 bit switch.
* no external power jack (it would be nice to be able to split the power consumption between pre/ad and laptop.

The advance-switch seems to be just for that: " 24 bits (ADVANCE SWITCH = OFF: 16 bits) " (specs http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ua25.html)

Only if this could be "digi-modded" to work standalone with portable power...

I find it strange there isn't more discussion about this - or is it already determined to be "non-portable"?
...I couldn't find anything more about this, even though it's already on the market and at it seems it's replacing the UA-5...

Offline temis

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 10:27:10 AM »
Nevermind....

I found the thread at the Oade board*...It's a shame, really!

* http://www.oade.com/Tapers_Section/Forum/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=100&topic_id=1767&mesg_id=1767&page=4

zowie

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2004, 11:25:52 AM »
It's no shame for laptop taping!  It seems to be an improvement over the ua-5 (if there's no sacrafice in sonics or driver problems): USB-powered, smaller, perhaps has useable limiter, and about $70 less. 

I have been using a FW 410, but have to externally power it because my firewire is over a pcmcia card.  Easy to do and works fine, but the ua-25 is $200 less and a good deal smaller and lighter (counting battery pack).  It's a much cheaper solution even if you have powered firewire.

I think I may step up to the plate on this one in a month or two (sooner if a good offer on the FW 410+batt comes along).

Just wish I could find some user feedback out there -- my guess is these are not selling that fast.

Edit:  I guess the lack of coax is a negative.  I won't be able to feed it from my much-loved Roland MMP-2 it situations where AC power is available without using a converter.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 11:59:59 AM by zowie »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com