Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shure MV88 iPhone Mic  (Read 13890 times)

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
Re: Shure MV88 iPhone Mic
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 06:25:49 PM »
Has anyone tried an extension cord with this yet?

Was thinking the shirt pocket method could work, but it might be even better in a hat, or on a shoulder (with a backpack or something).

As an aside, that gave me two thoughts (other than I can't believe I'm entertaining the idea of  >:D again, since I hated it when I tried it ~15 years ago):
1. I could probably do something fairly similar with my CA14's - but that does lack the simplicity of the one mic directly into an iphone (so I guess I'm not really feeling that)
2. Is this just a stopgap between going all in w/ a DPA / dvice setup?

I just figured that using an iphone as a recorder wasn't going to be a feasible option, but it appears we are there.

Extension cord (i have tried two) doesn't seem to work, but this extender does. Able to use with my Otter case.
https://www.amazon.com/NIUBEE-Lightning-Lifeproof-Extension-Connector/dp/B01K9U3G3S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502662575&sr=8-2&keywords=Lightning+port+extender
This is the ONLY time i have used this setup to record a show. I only bought it for the extreme stealth situation, where i couldn't get any of my regular gear in, or to have in my car
to use if a recording situation unfolded and i didn't have my gear with me. Would not recommend for regular recording use, if you can easily use other gear (like ca 14's into a small recorder) The Shure has really bad handling noise, if you hand hold it, put it a shirt pocket etc, you better be recording a really loud show. If not you have to clamp it to something.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 10:50:41 AM »
Can someone explain what M/S decoding is / how to do it? thx!

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 10:58:27 AM »
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2017, 03:13:35 PM »
Can someone explain what M/S decoding is / how to do it? thx!
http://www.uaudio.com/blog/mid-side-mic-recording/
Not exactly on the subject of M/S, but that link has a statement i've italicised that I don't think is true:
More Than Meets the Ears
Traditional XY recording mimics our own ears. Like human hearing, XY miking relies on the time delay of a sound arriving at one input milliseconds sooner than the other to localize a sound within a stereo field. It's a fairly simple concept, and one that works well as long as both mics are closely matched and evenly spaced to obtain an accurate sonic image.

In a coincident X/Y pair, the mics are placed as closely together as possible, but aimed differently. The difference in aim and the way the mic pattern picks up the off axis sound is what differentiates the channels. The arrival time difference of a sound into the two different channels of coincident X/Y should be as close as possible to zero!

However, in NEAR-coincident placements like ORTF, there is some spacing between capsules (17 cm for ORTF) and THAT DOES give spacial imaging cues according to arrival time difference.

Just nitpicking on an otherwise interesting and informative link.  :o
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Perry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 07:29:03 PM »
I'm seeing a lot of these mics at Americanafest in Nashville this week. Old people (like me) have discovered them... sliced bread!

"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2017, 07:48:58 PM »
Do these things pass metal detectors?

Offline edtyre

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2017, 12:30:08 PM »
Didn't pass the two shows I did with it
music>mics>pre>recorder

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2017, 12:52:54 PM »
Didn't pass the two shows I did with it

Thanks. I figured I'd throw my earbuds in the case with it and call it a Bluetooth speaker or something (if it came down to it).

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2017, 05:37:37 PM »
Got mine in the mail today - super easy to set up, and the case is really nice.

Plan on using this for Sturgill Simpson on Tuesday - have front row mezz tickets, so plan on just setting my phone on the ledge (maybe gaff taping it down). Any recommendation on settings?

Basically planning to use it like a stealth rig / for shows that I otherwise wouldn't bring gear with me to tape.

Offline edtyre

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2017, 07:27:40 PM »
Got mine in the mail today - super easy to set up, and the case is really nice.

Plan on using this for Sturgill Simpson on Tuesday - have front row mezz tickets, so plan on just setting my phone on the ledge (maybe gaff taping it down). Any recommendation on settings?

Basically planning to use it like a stealth rig / for shows that I otherwise wouldn't bring gear with me to tape.

Just be aware the metering is WAY OFF! You have to set the gain very low, or your recording will be fucked. I didn't know until i did a few test songs at a show i was recording.
Here's a screencap of the setting i use.

music>mics>pre>recorder

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2017, 08:30:22 PM »
Awesome, thanks! I'll report back after the show...

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2017, 11:41:30 AM »
I'll post my Sturgill Simpson recording once I've spent some time with it, but overall I'm pretty impressed with the mv88. I set it up like Ed did, and ran it with no limiter or compression, at 15db gain. It was a pretty loud show, but that setting was pretty dialed in (and lucky, to some degree). There were a few spikes that appeared to distort visually, but I couldn't pick up any noticeable noise. I played around with the setting at 22db for the opener (also loud) and it appeared the recording would be unlistenable, but again, it looked worse than it sounded.

I was in the front row of a balcony, so I set it on the ledge so I could adjust the mic up a bit, and flipped L/R so the screen was still facing me. Brought a bit of tape with me to secure it in a pinch, and YMMV in terms of that being necessary.

Interested in playing around with MS raw and working with it in post, but I see this basically replacing my zoom h2n as a  >:D option.

-In terms of monitoring, yeah, seems pretty worthless. With a little experience, I think it will be pretty easy to dial in.
-Curious to listen back to the whole thing. I purposely handled it a couple times to check settings, so interested if they will show up.
-Recorded about 2.5 hours of music, and it probably used ~10% of my battery life too, so pretty damn good.
-Saving big files via dropbox takes some time/patience, but works pretty well considering it was a 1.7GB file
-Venue had metal detectors so I didn't try to keep it on me. Instead handed it to the worker along with my phone/keys, and she handed it right back to me w/o a second thought.

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2017, 05:49:37 PM »
Here's my Sturgill Simpson recording - any feedback is welcomed...this was really the first time I used the MV88...

https://mega.nz/#!BL5gQZLB!Kkb6olpbUz2boubqSXfYZV2OVPqq6PfADmB0VDrv6Y8

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2017, 11:46:36 PM »
Used it for Dylan tonight and the recording stopped at 1:15:27 for seemingly no reason. I'll have to test it out a bit more to see if that happens again.

Offline pontiacb

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 02:58:33 AM »
Used it for Dylan tonight and the recording stopped at 1:15:27 for seemingly no reason. I'll have to test it out a bit more to see if that happens again.
I’ve had that happen a couple of times when I’ve got short on space on the iPhone (down to the last few hundred MB).  It was on an iPhone 5s.  I’ve not had the problem when I’ve had more space.   Assume you had it on airplane mode and with notifications set off? Did it come up with message ‘unexpected recording error’ (or similar)?

When it happened to me I searched on the web and couldn’t find any mention of others having a similar problem, so I’m interested in whether your situation had anything in common with my experience (I.e. available space on phone and model).

Also it’s probably worth closing down any apps that are running in the background before you start recording - I’ve got no evidence that this caused my problems but I’ve only just discovered how to do it, so think I will do in future as then all processing power will be available for the recording app

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201330
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 03:03:54 AM by pontiacb »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com