Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Under $1k - Outdoor Jam Band Mic Recommendations  (Read 8786 times)

Offline HeliumDolphinVideo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • HeliumDolphin Youtube Channel
Under $1k - Outdoor Jam Band Mic Recommendations
« on: March 24, 2016, 11:18:02 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I have a budget of about $900 and need recommendations for a new set of mics for festival season. I'll be taping jam, funk, and rock bands from the FOH area. I have a oade concert mod R-44. Wish I had the $ for Schoeps, but not this year.

I've used Busman BSC1's and been happy with their performance but they don't seem to be available anymore. Any help would be awesome!

Thanks!

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re: Under $1k - Outdoor Jam Band Mic Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 11:46:53 PM »
for 900 you have alot of options if your willing to consider used. i think there are some akgs in the yard sale currently for less than your budget!

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 01:54:12 AM »
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 02:43:14 AM »
I have Busmans and like them a lot. When I was researching mics I came across these as a serious contender http://www.pelusomicrophonelab.com/microphones/CEMC6SK.html
A pair came up in yardsale a couple of months ago and I snatched them up. Love these mics.
Here is a sample, recorded in a somewhat challenging room.
https://archive.org/details/um2016-03-11.cemc6.flac16
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 03:01:44 AM »
Second on the Peluso's too.

I could have sworn I saw a set of Busman BSC2's in the YS recently. ...just checked, they sold...but if you can find those they  work good for FOB and you'll get multiple caps which is also handy.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 03:12:40 AM »
I'm listening to this Umphreys's McGee show right now. Damn. These Peluso's are impressive mics.

Ya, the BSC2 set was really tempting...
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 10:20:41 AM »
Beyer makes some great mics for what we do (the rec from Fatah Ruark above). That said, your budget is enough to consider many items. Also of use to us would be tell us what recorder9s) you have as that determines if you can use XLR connectors, 1/8th inch jack connectors or microdots. The deck type also tells us if you need a battery box or if the deck supplies phantom power. I have no experience with the peluso's named above, but they would certainly do. You say FOH and outdoor. so remember you will need good windscreens as well, which add up cost wise. I just spent $70 for a pair of Big Ass Shures for instance (for our AKG 460/ck61's).

I would suggest checking out Gutbuckets threads on mic configs. He uses a lot of DPA's with a couple of naiant's and you could afford used DPA's if you went that route (cable also an issue as the DPA's use the microdots) You could also go the used AKG active route as they allow you to have different capsule choices. kindms picked up our AKG actives (with ck61 cardiod caps and naiant PFA's) used for about $600 iirc.
I will finally add, I own a pair of Beyer M201E's which I used infrequently until this year. they are dynamic mics so do not require phantom power and also hypercardiod which many here dislike, but can be nice for outdoor environments with crowd noise. I'll link to the Beyers and a recording made with them:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M201TG
https://archive.org/details/gd1983-06-22.beyerm201.holbrook.burke.81511.sbeok.flac24

edit to correct brand name
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 06:16:02 PM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 10:27:11 AM »
If you're running all open you could get some used naks from the YS or EBay. Would be less than 1k and you could get batteries and accessories with the extra funds.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline IowaClint

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 10:48:05 AM »
AKG 461's I think are still for sale in the yard sale. 

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 11:04:00 AM »
And I think there's still a pair of 481s for 800, that's a lot of bang for the buck, and you can always add caps. Loved mine, great outdoors.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 > Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 11:30:22 AM »
The default answer would be AKGs, and I think that's probably right. Pelusos and Beyers are great too. One advantage with AKGs is you could just get capsules + cables/PFAs for a nice compact setup.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline barrettphisher

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 12:13:30 PM »
Sorry ADK A51 TL's all day baby!  Four Pattern LD mics that can be found used for around $500 in the yard sale.  Don't be afraid to go LD. 
Barrett
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 12:15:02 PM by barrettphisher »
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Pres: V3 opti/M-S Modded, BM2p+ UA5, church audio 9100, 3 wire BB
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 12:17:55 PM »
I'll throw in w/an AKG recomendation.   you could find some Neumann 184's in that range too...and those would be super nice outdoors (and in)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 01:13:27 PM »
Sorry ADK A51 TL's all day baby!  Four Pattern LD mics that can be found used for around $500 in the yard sale.  Don't be afraid to go LD. 
Barrett

This^^^
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 01:16:57 PM »
Like AJ mentions the default answer is AKG. Lots of options there.  I like Nick's idea with the Neumann 184s if you can find them for that price.  These both have sort of the same general flavor to my ear (not overly darkish). I just usually like the sound of Neumann better (flavored, but usually sort of smoother in the highs).

Lots of tapers love the Busman's and the Peluso's and Beyer's.  I'm just not as familiar with them sonically.  Also maybe Milab's used.

Barrett

Truth! Probably the best bang for the buck IMO. Very clean and neutral. But big and heavy!  Easier to do if well blocked, harder to run lower profile if very FOB.

But.. If I had to choose only two of the mics from my locker for "outdoor festival season taping jam, funk, and rock bands from the FOH area" I'd skip the TL's, Gefells and other stuff I have in there, revert to a pair of DPA miniature omnis (4060 or 4061) spaced 3' apart on a TV antenna, and aim to place that right in the heart of the sweet spot FOB.  But that's based on my experience and preference and does not reflect the more typical taper mindset around here.  It is compact, nearly invisible, and near weather-proof, but the 3' spread can be a challenge, and it's a "you are there" type presentation, which includes the enthusiasm of all those around you, so its important to choose a good sounding, enthusiastic spot.

Vive la différence!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2016, 04:58:38 AM »
Great recommendations! Thank you everyone. I really appreciate it. I'm not opposed to the yard sale, so I might go the AKG route. But I want to go listen to some ADK A51 TL & Peluso recordings before I jump to any purchases. Gutbucket's Omni idea is intriguing but all too often the FOH is a shitshow of distracting talkers and shouters where I'm going. I've tried the Busman BSC1's before and liked them but they are not available new anymore.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 05:10:50 AM »
Beyer makes some great mics for what we do (the rec from Fatah Ruark above). That said, your budget is enough to consider many items. Also of use to us would be tell us what recorder9s) you have ...

I would suggest checking out Gutbuckets threads on mic configs. He uses a lot of DPA's with a couple of NAIANT's and you could afford used DPA's if you went that route (cable also an issue as the DPA's use the microdots) You could also go the used AKG active route as they allow you to have different capsule choices. kindms picked up our AKG actives (with ck61 cardiod caps and NAIANT PFA's) used for about $600 iirc.

Thanks Rocksuitcase! I have a oade concert R-44. The AKG actives are what I've heard the most recordings that I've liked with. I'm not very familiar with the NAIANTs. Will check them out. Thanks for the links!

Offline old and in the way

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2016, 08:39:06 AM »
You should not forget the Berliner cm33 . There have been excellent pulls with these mics and at 400.00 for a stereo matched pair you'll have 500.00 left over

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 08:52:30 AM »
Sorry everyone, but I can't help myself...

You should consider the Line Audio mics.  2 models available: wide cardiod and omni.  They punch WAY above their price, are tiny and weigh almost nothing.  250 EUR  a pair shipped from No Hype Audio in Belgium, which is about $280 US currently.  Hit the Team Line Audio link in my signature for more info.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline BonoBeats

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Band- Funk Pocket
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 11:28:01 AM »
As Gutbucket said, the ADK TL's are great, BUT not exactly low profile for running FOB. I typically run them either from the section, or for local club gigs when I can run on stage without any issues.

Any number of great sdc mics available within your budget, from used AKGs all the way down to Line Audio, and several in between. Listen to tapes from a few contenders in the Archive and buy with confidence.
Now You See Me Telefunken M60 Masters/ADK Cremona 251>MixPre6
Now You Don't    Naiant XX or MS-TFB-2-MKII>SP-SB10>Roland R05

Offline Benderman11

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2016, 11:59:06 AM »
I'm a big fan of the oktava Mk-012's.  Especially if you have Michael Joly mod them which you can always do later.
mics: Joly Modded Oktava MK-012MSP, Telefunken M60 stereo set, Neumann ak40, ak43, or ak50 > Nick mod lc3 > Naiant PFA or km100
Pres: Sound Devices 442, Sound Devices MP-2, Grace Lunatec V3
Recorders: Zoom F8, Tascam DR-60Dmkii, Zoom F4, SD788t

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2016, 02:09:38 PM »
Naiant should not be in all caps.  In fact in my logo it's stylized as all lowercase!
I apologize. always write it in large caps in our text files, so glad to know correct way.
I do stand by that the OP should look at them for his purchase   >:D
music IS love

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2016, 10:40:21 PM »
Dpa 4060s or 4061s just have that clear sound and they are so easy to carry.

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2016, 10:58:55 PM »
Dpa 4060s or 4061s just have that clear sound and they are so easy to carry.
Helium, I mentioned this earlier. You can afford them with $900.
new: http://www.dpamicrophones.com/microphones
used should be able to locate some.  4061's: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=176082.0

music IS love

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2016, 08:54:15 AM »
I ran w/the DPA4071's for a while.  they are an omni w/a roll-off on the bass...they were spanky good.  crystal clear and I could use them indoors. 
ran them on a 3' spread (antenna) worked like a charm

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2016, 10:03:52 AM »
Buy some Line Audio's.  You could probably get a pair of cardiods and omnis and stay within your budget.  The omni's would be good for those windy days outdoors.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2016, 11:46:59 AM »
I'd look at a MBHO active set up- cards/subcards with a PFA.
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2016, 12:42:48 PM »
Buy some Line Audio's.  You could probably get a pair of cardiods and omnis and stay within your budget.  The omni's would be good for those windy days outdoors.

I like my ADK TLs but also like my Line Audio CM3s. $150 each for the CM3s is just hard to beat! Much smaller and much easier to tote than the TLs.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2016, 07:42:58 AM »
i've got a stereo pair of MBHO 440's (cardioid) in the yard sale for 450...fyi.
:)

Offline Jhurlbs81

• My LMA collection
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2016, 08:10:47 AM »

I'd seriously consider these, OP.  Fantastic small mics.  Check out some MBHO tapes on the archive.

Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2016, 09:00:16 AM »

I'd seriously consider these, OP.  Fantastic small mics.  Check out some MBHO tapes on the archive.

Jesse
Great mics, solid seller, well within your budget OP. (hell, you could also find a 2nd  used set of actives AKG, DPA etc)
music IS love

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2016, 09:12:20 AM »
you'd have a hard time finding something that was "absolutely superior" w/o spending $2k

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2016, 01:14:43 PM »
I'm listening to this Umphreys's McGee show right now. Damn. These Peluso's are impressive mics.

Yep, that is a damn fine recording.  Nice setlist as well, love the cover of ELP's "From the Beginning".  No doubt a nod to Keith Emerson. :'(

As far as mic recommendations, the other suggestions in this thread are good ones: AKG, Beyer, Peluso, Line Audio, MBHO are all solid SDCs.  I would also throw the Audio-Technica AT4051 into the ring.  Different capsules available for it and, generally speaking, AT mics are woefully underappreciated.  An excellent bang-for-the-buck microphone line. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.15 seconds with 62 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com