Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Alternative to Countryman B3's  (Read 7327 times)

backwhereubelong

• Trade Count: (0)
Alternative to Countryman B3's
« on: May 13, 2016, 06:14:00 AM »
Has anyone had any experience with these mics?  Specs look amazing.  Any thoughts?

http://www.microphonemadness.com/lapel-hair-microphones-micro-miniature.html

It plainly states "AS GOOD AS THE COUNTRYMAN B3 OR YOUR MONEY BACK" ...

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Alternative to Countryman B3's
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 11:49:01 AM »
Looks promising. Do they say what the powering requirements are?
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

backwhereubelong

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 04:46:26 PM »
Looks promising. Do they say what the powering requirements are?

I didn't see that listed anywhere.  I have sent them an email, hopefully, I'll get a reply.

backwhereubelong

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 06:43:22 PM »
Try searching the LMA I've hear many recordings from back in the dats days with them  and they can be ok or not depending on venue and crowd.
What's wrong with B3's?
I got some unterminated ones for a little more then those... and am quite happy with them if I want  tiny omnis

I didn't say anything was wrong with Countryman's.

As for the "they can be ok or not depending on venue and crowd" ... that is true for ANY mic, so that tells me nothing.

I've priced the B3's and they are about $200 more a set than these so I'm not sure you're pricing info is correct.

Anyways, I highly doubt these are the same mics used "back in the DAT days" as this is a new line for MM.
The brand has been around for a while, but not this model.  Does anyone have any real info on these that they can
share?

backwhereubelong

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 04:26:11 AM »
Try searching the LMA I've hear many recordings from back in the dats days with them  and they can be ok or not depending on venue and crowd.
What's wrong with B3's?
I got some unterminated ones for a little more then those... and am quite happy with them if I want  tiny omnis

I didn't say anything was wrong with Countryman's.

As for the "they can be ok or not depending on venue and crowd" ... that is true for ANY mic, so that tells me nothing.

I've priced the B3's and they are about $200 more a set than these so I'm not sure you're pricing info is correct.

Anyways, I highly doubt these are the same mics used "back in the DAT days" as this is a new line for MM.
The brand has been around for a while, but not this model.  Does anyone have any real info on these that they can
share?

Don't be so harsh...
Microphone Madness has been around for a while... Just remember NOT being impressed with their sound.  If you're looking for real info  buy a pair your self, if you don't like 'em sell in the YS.

EDIT: PS Perhaps you should title this thread as a question , rather than a statement Suggest: MicrophoneMadness, Alternative to Countryman B3's?
done with replies on this thread...

Whatever man.  My comments were not "harsh".  If you think that's harsh you are one thin-skinned person.  The subject description is fine, you're now all tore up because you added your 0.02 worth of comments ("they can be ok or not depending on venue and crowd") that wasn't worth 0.02 ... Thanks for hijacking this thread.  I was hoping to get some real feedback.  Oh well.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 01:16:33 PM »
States in the description that it's an omni mic but the polar pattern shown is for a hypercard cap.  A little confusing. 

That aside, I don't have any experience with MM microphones.  I have one of their battery boxes and it does its job well but that's a different animal.  With a money-back guarantee, you don't have much to lose by giving them a try. 

backwhereubelong

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 01:59:38 AM »
States in the description that it's an omni mic but the polar pattern shown is for a hypercard cap.  A little confusing. 

That aside, I don't have any experience with MM microphones.  I have one of their battery boxes and it does its job well but that's a different animal.  With a money-back guarantee, you don't have much to lose by giving them a try.

I was confused as well about the polar pattern.  I don't mind spending the money on a try out, but I would need to have them MOD'd which would eliminate my ability to return the item.  I was looking at buying two and having Darktrain join them into a single TA3 or 3.5mm stereo plug.  I sent them an email the other day but haven't heard back from them yet, so I plan on calling them on Monday.

backwhereubelong

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 10:06:18 PM »
UPDATE:

The email I used to email them the other day was wrong (MY mistake, not theirs), so I emailed them using the correct address and got a response in just a few hours.  All the questions I had concerning modifications can all be handled "in house", which is a BIG plus.  I have sent three emails and all three have been responded to very quickly.  Even emails from today (Sunday) were answered.  So far I am very impressed with the service and attention to detail.  Looks like I will place an order this Tuesday.  Thanks to everyone who offered help either through email, this board or PM.

I'll keep this updated throughout the process!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:13:56 AM by Roots To Branches »

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 04:21:57 PM »

In the past the mics this company produced were real turds. Maybe these new ones will be something different and considering the tiny size, an alternative to the Church CAFS or Countryman.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

backwhereubelong

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 06:24:48 PM »

In the past the mics this company produced were real turds. Maybe these new ones will be something different and considering the tiny size, an alternative to the Church CAFS or Countryman.

That's EXACTLY what I am hoping.   ;D

Offline Perry

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 03:08:16 PM »
Marking this thread...
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

Offline Bullet1979

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 08:00:14 PM »

Where would DPA 4060/4061's fall when comparing these small omni's?  Forgive my ignorance if this is a dumb question.

ilduclo

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 09:04:35 PM »
dpa's are better sound, IMO, also I know that they are very very well built (my 4061's are 11 years old and I bought them used!) And I use them a LOT and in a lot of bar shows with slam dancing, heat, spilled drinks, etc

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 10:43:20 PM »

Where would DPA 4060/4061's fall when comparing these small omni's?  Forgive my ignorance if this is a dumb question.
Dpas are the high end of super small omnis
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 06:12:01 AM »

If you are looking for a small Omni mic the DPA is the best option at least IMO.  Since I owned a pair of DPA 4061, Countryman B3 with 4.7 mod and had/have access to a pair of CASF......

Just my 0.02$

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com