Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rotate right angle Neutrik connectors on Dogstar cables?  (Read 3184 times)

Offline terabyte23

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Regular
Rotate right angle Neutrik connectors on Dogstar cables?
« on: January 05, 2009, 01:12:49 AM »
Hi folks.  I got a used set of Segue Dogstar cables recently to go with my R-44.  They are great, but the right-angle Neutrik connectors attach to the R-44 such that the cables point straight down (see picture).  This is fine if I am set up on the edge of a table, but I am often not set up on the edge of a table (nor do I typically want to be).

Is it possible to modify/rotate the right-angle connectors so that the cables extend out toward the front of the R-44?  This would be great for having the unit in the gear bag.  I am a newbie when it comes to cable modification, but I am fairly handy.  Thanks for your advice.
AKG ck61/ck63 > Naiant couplings > Naiant Tinybox > M10
CA-14 cards/omnis > SP-SPSB-8 > M10

Offline RobertNC

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Rotate right angle Neutrik connectors on Dogstar cables?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 01:44:06 AM »
Yes the barrels can be rotated.  I bought a set of Hydra cables from Nick (great cables by the way, have since bought another pair and love them) with RA Neutriks and in the config I bought them they did not fit my deck at all.  If you open one up you will see how they are constructed and how the inner barrel that provides the pin alignment can be rotated to I think 6 or 8 different positions relative to the outer shell.

Doing so I guess depends on just how handy you are.  I'm not very handy at all myself, lol I tried to do it myself and ended up sending them back to Nick to do it right, lol, but I'm not good with this kind of stuff and don't own a soldering iron.  But yes, they can be realigned.

Also you may want to think about exactly how you realign them and how they fit in the deck afterwards.  My RAs are currently aligned like this - it was really the only way they had room to fit:

This was all well and good and worked great in my bag... until I set up a M/S rig and got careless with the cables and could not just swap them on the deck.    Duh.

After that incident I decided that while I still really prefer RAs on the mic side for setting up LDs in vertical coincident, after looking at my hands I came to the sad conclusion that while I have evolved opposable thumbs, I'm still dumber than a basic mic cable so now I go for straight XLRs at least on the deck side.   ;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 02:07:07 AM by RobertNC »
SD:  Microtech Gefell M210 > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
LD:                   ADK A51 TL > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
Guns:               DPA 4017    > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 04:10:51 AM »

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 02:36:09 PM »
I think the newer RX series are smaller. http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/audio/204_997818242/RX_Series_productlist.aspx

Roger

Careful with those newer ones as you aren't able to rotate them as much as the above older series, unless you modify some of the internal pieces, just an FYI ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline terabyte23

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 11:11:07 AM »
I took the cover off one connector and was able to rotate the barrel a bit without stressing the wires too much.  But I can see I would have the same problem as RobertNC, where there isn't enough room for the RA connectors to be adjacent to one another if they are rotated.  Oh well.  Thanks for the replies.
AKG ck61/ck63 > Naiant couplings > Naiant Tinybox > M10
CA-14 cards/omnis > SP-SPSB-8 > M10

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 01:00:54 PM »

Careful with those newer ones as you aren't able to rotate them as much as the above older series, unless you modify some of the internal pieces, just an FYI ...

According to the assembly instruction you should be able to rotate them up to +-90 degrees.

Roger

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 04:00:52 PM »
The set I have says otherwise, YMMV of course ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com