Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ROLAND R-07 "Sweet Spot"  (Read 3557 times)

ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (0)
ROLAND R-07 "Sweet Spot"
« on: April 18, 2019, 02:08:59 PM »
I recall people not liking the term "unity gain", but for lack of a better term, what is the unity gain for the Roland R-07?  The Sony PCM-M10 was between 4 and 5. I'm looking into one of these and I'm hoping that they are worthwhile.

ThePiedPiper

Re: ROLAND R-07 "Sweet Spot"
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 10:12:35 AM »
 :shrug:

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 11:51:02 AM »
I don't think I have been hanging out around here long enough to know what precisely you mean, but as I am very happy with my R-07, I might as well throw something at you while we are waiting for a more qualified response.

I am pleased with the results through-out the input range (1-100), however, there seems to be a transitional spot between 59 and 60 as if the device is switching between circuits - when moving over this point it results in an audible artefact on the recording.
When set to 60 and above with the limiter ON and NO safety track engaged, the device is said to engage a hybrid limiter function that substitutes clipped material on the fly (poorly described in the documentation) - I guess this functionality could be related to the 59-60 phenomenon.
I imagine therefore that there could be a difference in self noise above and below 60 although I haven't noticed it personally.

I am recording my stuff in the 60-70 space and don't sweat the small stuff, so I have no complaints or desire to make measurements :)

(I should perhaps underline that this is NOTHING like the Zoom H1 which engages digital attenuation below 34(?) and introduces a significant amount of noise.)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 12:00:36 PM by Niels »
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RĂ˜DE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 05:15:03 PM »
Niels,
Welcome to the coolest site on the Web! I love it here. There is so many experienced and knowledgeable people to learn from. I do appreciate your comments as I will be keeping those in mind when I take one out for a test drive (I'm going to borrow a friends before purchasing one). I tend to record on the lower side of the spectrum and raise the overall volume using Audition and/or iZotope.
Thanks again for the input and I hope you enjoy this place as much as I do!

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 01:02:53 AM »
This has been discussed in the main R7 thread, and there hasn't been a definitive answer, I believe.

I run Schoeps mk4's > PFA (0 gain) > R7. Super close to stacks at unusually loud show, levels were 22. Most often, I'm at around 44-50.

Testing in quiet room, I heard a bit of zipper noise quickly changing gain. In practice, and using just the '+' button to change level 1 unit at a time, I haven't heard anything.

Using via line-in I think it sounds nice. iOS app works great for me, and makes  >:D super low stress.

15 hours on 2 eneloop pro's.

Thumbs up
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 02:54:16 AM »
This has been discussed in the main R7 thread, and there hasn't been a definitive answer, I believe.

I run Schoeps mk4's > PFA (0 gain) > R7. Super close to stacks at unusually loud show, levels were 22. Most often, I'm at around 44-50.

Testing in quiet room, I heard a bit of zipper noise quickly changing gain. In practice, and using just the '+' button to change level 1 unit at a time, I haven't heard anything.

Using via line-in I think it sounds nice. iOS app works great for me, and makes  >:D super low stress.

15 hours on 2 eneloop pro's.

Thumbs up

Thank You!  I read all the Roland pages (a BUNCH of them) and like you mentioned I didn't see a definitive answer, but you gave some great guidelines and I think I'll go with your settings. Thanks for the follow up.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com