Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Internal mics question  (Read 64047 times)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
Re: Internal mics question
« Reply #180 on: August 27, 2017, 09:50:35 AM »
this is from before I even knew what I was doing with the internals.

werd:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=599523

internal mic recording from 4 years ago. and it sounds fantastic.

now that I know what I'm doing, this may be easier than I thought.

I'm gonna hit Winwood and Mavis regardless of what Douchespy does.

as I don't expect her to walk the walk.

#wordsarecheap

Crawl back under your rock.  I am sure you picked those shows because you saw I was going to be out of town.  My trip was booked last October and has been discussed on this thread and others.   Why don't you postpone your trip for this http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/2017/     It is free,  just your style. 

Doesn't matter what you do, your recordings aren't any good.   Doesn't matter how hard you fluff them.   I'm sure you plan on doing Winwood from the last row since there are no good seats available I would tape from.

please don't flatter yourself, you're not so important that I pay attention to what you're doing...it's always a bunch of tired oldhead garbage anyways...

if I want a good Winwood seat, I get a good Winwood seat...money is not an object at this stage of the game...I just choose to not waste it on fluffed microphones.

my recordings actually are pretty good, sorry to break it to you...

go have fun with the AARP crowd...I'll just keep doing my thing.

:knew you'd run scared:

Not afraid of you, never have been, never will be.  Why should I cancel a trip booked a year ago because it works for your schedule.  Funny how you made the
 suggestion for Winwood and Mavis when the Magpie Salute shows are in SF.  Could it be you don't want me in the seats I prefer to give yourself the advantage you need.  I don't need to overpay for Luther Burbank venue, I just ask my friend who has access when seats go on sale?   :banging head:  If you are so hung up on Winwood, lets do Reno.  Will you change your plans, of course not.

Off to tape Mavis and to make a better recording that you will ever make.  Just stating the obvious.

BTW pretty good is not great.  You fluff your shit as great.  REAL tapers don't need to fluff their recordings. 

Yes, I will enjoy my AARP crowd as you describe it.  Lots of great friends to spend time with and the chance to meet REAL tapers not a  :zoomie1: clown.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #181 on: August 27, 2017, 10:38:22 AM »
this recording is a *perfect* example of why I would never, ever spend a dime on Schoepps mics, or use a mic stand.

what an utterly, muddy burpy mess.

everything to the left of 400hz is jumping up to +10-+12dB, then by the time you get to 1khz, the entire spectrum struggles to hit -12dB (nee: no mids or highs)

it *could* be fixed with some moderate EQ, but as is, what a waste.

smh:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=594883
I downloaded this and improved it with a few minutes work. That can be done because it's made with good microphones. Even untouched it sounds far better than any of the Sonics or internals garbage you post here. I know you're too stupid to understand any of this (or the sonic effects of a microphone stand  :lol:), I'm leaving this here for others.

Offline inoutoffocus

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #182 on: August 27, 2017, 06:45:02 PM »
Here's a gem by the master himself. Bow down to turdburglar. Sweet kenwood eq.  ::)
What happened, you get too spun, warfield too much for you? Jerry was laughing at you. :o
As we all do every time you speak. You literally give me douche chills every time you post
Just go away.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=594430

VS

http://db.etree.org/shn/12254

Offline nak700s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #183 on: August 28, 2017, 04:44:46 PM »
Ahhhh, the ongoing source of entertainment that is this thread... Honestly, this is funny at this point.  I save this thread for when I'm bored at work to catch up and make me shake my head at something other than the people I speak to here.  Guys, don't take it so seriously.  Really, don't. Furburger just wants to get a rise out of Daspyknows.  I think it's safe to say that everyone on this site knows that internal microphones, although can surprise us when the stars align, are generally all crap and make recordings that reflect their quality as a microphone.  Real mics, on the other hand will have a sonic leg up on all internals.  Tiny stealthy mics, although often a necessary evil for what many of us do, aren't all that bad, and can make a nice recording.  They are certainly not as high end as a full-sized, high quality microphones, but they can make a very good recording in the right situation.  Sonics, dynamic range, depth, etc are all going to factor into the sound and richness of the recording.  The bottom line, however, is that some people are tone-deaf and won't hear the difference.  That isn't an insult, it's a fact.  Not far above that bottom line is the simple fact that different people like different things, and sound.  Additionally, there is a certain pride
(perhaps not the best choice of words) in our own recordings - when they come out to our liking, of course.  All of these factors come into play when it comes to our opinions about this stuff... so I think everyone needs to be a little bit kinder.  Just sayin'.
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #184 on: August 28, 2017, 08:12:05 PM »
One of the greatest threads in the history of Taper's Section.  The insults are priceless. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #185 on: August 28, 2017, 08:54:39 PM »
A Recap, for Those Who Missed the Highlights:

"utterly, muddy burpy mess"

"faux-elitism"

"Did George Martin or Tom Dowd ever use internal mikes? I disagree with your concept 100%."

"Wait, you're running a bass rolloff and saying the resulting bass sounds thin? Having the roll off on is pretty much a sure fire way to decrease bass response."

"Just because they're asking $600 doesn't make them good."

"A lot has happened with technology the last twenty years. What was "pretty good" back in the 90's most likely can't compete with today's standards. Compare the Sonics with other stealth mics like Church Audio and it's obvious that things have developed for the better. My Schoeps MK4 caps are 25 years old and sure hold their own. 

"The Sonic Studios are entry level stealth mics, nothing more.  yeth dathpy, we *get* that all stealth mics are "entry level mics".....***in your opinion***"

"I'd be surprised if my Ben Harper show tomorrow doesn't smoke all of your BH recordings."

"It's especially funny when you try to pick a fight when someone is at least partly agreeing with you."

"mine will get more snatches than yours, then you'll blame geography."

"you *could* make an *equal* recording (I've never said that internals were better-than), if you had the brains."

"were you the "parent of the year", or was that Sloan?  perhaps you should focus on that instead of taping a bunch of dead, bloated crap."

"Clapton's last "amazing" playing was with Cream, he's been coasting ever since...one of the most overrated players I've ever heard, the junk took his skills away quick. what's the difference between a 4 year old and a bag of heroin?  Clapton won't drop the heroin."

"my father he didn't farm me out because he failed on numerous fronts as a father. do you even take your kid to shows? "

"a crappy 2 dollar Panasonic mic capsule Ben Harper show already has equalled, make that exceeded snatches of your fancy-schmancy microphone recording....in less than 24 hours daspy."

"again, your recordings aren't as good you think they are that much is certain."

"Which source are you referring to as the "fancy-schmancy" one?  daspys schweppes bottlerockets ben harper on dime, two months or so back or whatever foo-foo thingamabob he swears by."

"if one is into compression, then daspy is their man!"

" I've been a taper for 25 years on August 25. "

"Thank you for taking the time to 'translate', though I have trouble reconciling it with furry's arrogant, binary, and hyperbolic commentary."

"Sorry, but you are achieving the same level of douchenozzlery as him at this point. "

"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it."

"wonder when this moron is going to realize daspy still doesn't use a mic stand."

"for my favorite terrorist daspy...."

"I'm gonna hit Winwood and Mavis regardless of what Douchespy does."

"Crawl back under your rock"

"While you are visiting don't forget visiting the Castro for seeds so you can them ballsdeep."

"go have fun with the AARP crowd...I'll just keep doing my thing."

"Doesn't matter what you do, your recordings aren't any good.   Doesn't matter how hard you fluff them. "

"You literally give me douche chills every time you post"

"Just go away. "

Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #186 on: August 30, 2017, 04:08:42 AM »
another fantastic recent internals recording:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=599943

it's not that hard to make them record well.

they easily outperformed the Sonics this night.
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #187 on: August 30, 2017, 05:51:57 PM »
Actually with the way the venue sounded and where I was positioned, I'm thinking my AT hyper might end up sounding better.

It sounds like a PA mix in a not great room recorded from back of room will sound. 

The AT hyper may seem to sound better because it will roll off some of the frequencies where the echo is most pronounced. 

More fine tuning would certainly help, though there is some degree of mud in this that will remain inherent (due to the character of the mix and placement in room - not the mics used). 

I'm certain a raw internal mic recording from this same position would sound worse and there would be a lower quality signal to work with (or more work to do) in post to get that resembling something listenable. 

I'd agree with a general assertion that if you have to record from the back of the room to use a mic stand it makes more sense to apply 007 principles and record from where it sounds better.  No argument there (just a matter of will/personal comfort/preparation or whatever factors). 

It is completely irrelevant to compare a solo acoustic show recorded up front (and heavily processed through Izotope) to a raw recording of an electric full band from back of room.  There's nothing to compare between apples and oranges (though they're both fruit). 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #188 on: September 01, 2017, 04:56:10 PM »

werd:

Except for the phase shifting and dropouts, it sounds OK. Were you having a seizure?

"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2017, 08:24:56 AM »

Except for the phase shifting and dropouts, it sounds OK. Were you having a seizure?

dropouts?

that's a new one.

as for 'phase shifting', yeah, it was outdoors on the banks of the Mississippi, so there *may* have been a bit of wind.

said fuck the oldhead Winwood (as it was clear daspy would rather dream of sitting on Clapton's wrinkled root/short & curlies), but I did hit Mavis.

both Tom Waits AND Charlie Musselwhite made appearances.

or, it's clear I made the right decision.

the security guard thought my tits were so awesome, that she invited me as her guest.

all that said, 5 shows in 5 days (4 The Magpie Salute and Mavis), and a 6th (TMS in Fresno) tomorrow.

it's probably unfair of me to pick on the elderly, but it is what it is....

suck it daspypants, as if it were Clapton's hairy root.
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #190 on: September 12, 2017, 08:27:55 AM »
A Recap, for Those Who Missed the Highlights:

"utterly, muddy burpy mess"

"faux-elitism"

"Did George Martin or Tom Dowd ever use internal mikes? I disagree with your concept 100%."

"Wait, you're running a bass rolloff and saying the resulting bass sounds thin? Having the roll off on is pretty much a sure fire way to decrease bass response."

"Just because they're asking $600 doesn't make them good."

"A lot has happened with technology the last twenty years. What was "pretty good" back in the 90's most likely can't compete with today's standards. Compare the Sonics with other stealth mics like Church Audio and it's obvious that things have developed for the better. My Schoeps MK4 caps are 25 years old and sure hold their own. 

"The Sonic Studios are entry level stealth mics, nothing more.  yeth dathpy, we *get* that all stealth mics are "entry level mics".....***in your opinion***"

"I'd be surprised if my Ben Harper show tomorrow doesn't smoke all of your BH recordings."

"It's especially funny when you try to pick a fight when someone is at least partly agreeing with you."

"mine will get more snatches than yours, then you'll blame geography."

"you *could* make an *equal* recording (I've never said that internals were better-than), if you had the brains."

"were you the "parent of the year", or was that Sloan?  perhaps you should focus on that instead of taping a bunch of dead, bloated crap."

"Clapton's last "amazing" playing was with Cream, he's been coasting ever since...one of the most overrated players I've ever heard, the junk took his skills away quick. what's the difference between a 4 year old and a bag of heroin?  Clapton won't drop the heroin."

"my father he didn't farm me out because he failed on numerous fronts as a father. do you even take your kid to shows? "

"a crappy 2 dollar Panasonic mic capsule Ben Harper show already has equalled, make that exceeded snatches of your fancy-schmancy microphone recording....in less than 24 hours daspy."

"again, your recordings aren't as good you think they are that much is certain."

"Which source are you referring to as the "fancy-schmancy" one?  daspys schweppes bottlerockets ben harper on dime, two months or so back or whatever foo-foo thingamabob he swears by."

"if one is into compression, then daspy is their man!"

" I've been a taper for 25 years on August 25. "

"Thank you for taking the time to 'translate', though I have trouble reconciling it with furry's arrogant, binary, and hyperbolic commentary."

"Sorry, but you are achieving the same level of douchenozzlery as him at this point. "

"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it."

"wonder when this moron is going to realize daspy still doesn't use a mic stand."

"for my favorite terrorist daspy...."

"I'm gonna hit Winwood and Mavis regardless of what Douchespy does."

"Crawl back under your rock"

"While you are visiting don't forget visiting the Castro for seeds so you can them ballsdeep."

"go have fun with the AARP crowd...I'll just keep doing my thing."

"Doesn't matter what you do, your recordings aren't any good.   Doesn't matter how hard you fluff them. "

"You literally give me douche chills every time you post"

"Just go away. "

:like:

don't forget to add in the Clapton comments.
-------------

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #191 on: September 12, 2017, 08:30:18 AM »

werd:

I'm gonna hit Winwood and Mavis regardless of what Douchespy does.

as I don't expect her to walk the walk.

#wordsarecheap

Crawl back under your rock.  I am sure you picked those shows because you saw I was going to be out of town.  My trip was booked last October and has been discussed on this thread and others.   Why don't you postpone your trip for this http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com/2017/     It is free,  just your style. 

Doesn't matter what you do, your recordings aren't any good.   Doesn't matter how hard you fluff them.   I'm sure you plan on doing Winwood from the last row since there are no good seats available I would tape from.

please don't flatter yourself, you're not so important that I pay attention to what you're doing...it's always a bunch of tired oldhead garbage anyways...

if I want a good Winwood seat, I get a good Winwood seat...money is not an object at this stage of the game...I just choose to not waste it on fluffed microphones.

my recordings actually are pretty good, sorry to break it to you...

go have fun with the AARP crowd...I'll just keep doing my thing.

:knew you'd run scared:

Not afraid of you, never have been, never will be.  Why should I cancel a trip booked a year ago because it works for your schedule.  Funny how you made the
 suggestion for Winwood and Mavis when the Magpie Salute shows are in SF.  Could it be you don't want me in the seats I prefer to give yourself the advantage you need.  I don't need to overpay for Luther Burbank venue, I just ask my friend who has access when seats go on sale?   :banging head:  If you are so hung up on Winwood, lets do Reno.  Will you change your plans, of course not.

Off to tape Mavis and to make a better recording that you will ever make.  Just stating the obvious.

BTW pretty good is not great.  You fluff your shit as great.  REAL tapers don't need to fluff their recordings. 

Yes, I will enjoy my AARP crowd as you describe it.  Lots of great friends to spend time with and the chance to meet REAL tapers not a  :zoomie1: clown.

5 for motha fuckin' 5 there pookie.

soundchecks...filmed 3 of 4 TMS shows.

met Rich and Marc....got invited in.

maybe you and Clapton can play pinochle then go out for tea and crumpets afterwards.

the diff between a 4 year old and a bag of smack is EC won't drop the smack.

and, as always, it shows.
-------------

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #192 on: September 12, 2017, 08:31:03 AM »
this recording is a *perfect* example of why I would never, ever spend a dime on Schoepps mics, or use a mic stand.

what an utterly, muddy burpy mess.

everything to the left of 400hz is jumping up to +10-+12dB, then by the time you get to 1khz, the entire spectrum struggles to hit -12dB (nee: no mids or highs)

it *could* be fixed with some moderate EQ, but as is, what a waste.

smh:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=594883
I downloaded this and improved it with a few minutes work. That can be done because it's made with good microphones. Even untouched it sounds far better than any of the Sonics or internals garbage you post here. I know you're too stupid to understand any of this (or the sonic effects of a microphone stand  :lol:), I'm leaving this here for others.

yeah, but who in their right mind would put it out sounding like that?

for shame.
-------------

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #193 on: September 12, 2017, 08:36:42 AM »
finally, one last little morsel of thought for all you spent idiots

my source for this was put up *LAST*, yet has 35 more pulls than the DPA's and 60 more than the Schoeps....

why is that (nothing against Alex OR Ted, both great guys, though I'd give the nod to Ted for congeniality)...but aren't DPA's AND Schoeps s'posed to be *better* than my shitty Sonics?

AND aren't etree'rs more discerning in their choices?

Other    The Magpie Salute 2017-09-08 San Francisco (Steve Hagar master)    [download]    41    12    09/09 22:32    937.75 MB    170 times    35    1    dorrcoq
Black Crowes    The Magpie Salute - Sept. 8, 2017 - San Francisco (DPA 4023)    [download]    25    7    09/09 12:30    1.022 GB    135 times    27    1    vwmule
Black Crowes    The Magpie Salute 2017-09-07 The Fillmore, San Francisco, CA, Schoeps MK5 (cardioid) > Nbob > Naiant PFA > EAA PSP2 > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade SuperMod)    [download]    26    13    09/09 11:18    834.09 MB    111 times    17    0    tedyun

uploaded last, shittiest mics, and the most pulls.

oldhead expensive-mic glorifiers sure aren't good at math.

and, as always, it mothafuckin' shows.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 08:44:01 AM by furburger »
-------------

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #194 on: September 12, 2017, 08:38:41 AM »

It is completely irrelevant to compare a solo acoustic show recorded up front (and heavily processed through Izotope) to a raw recording of an electric full band from back of room.  There's nothing to compare between apples and oranges (though they're both fruit).

um, I only listen to my raws at home.

as they sound pretty fucking good as is.

man, you folks sure are funny,.
-------------

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com