Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ran V3>722 line in to the 722 last night and  (Read 6469 times)

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
Re: Ran V3>722 line in to the 722 last night and
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2005, 03:25:00 PM »

wha ??? Is there an onboard pad on the 722?

Sorry, wrong word...  I should have said Trim.  You've got to Trim the gain knobs to attenuate the signal by somewhere around -7dBFS..  or atleast that's been my experience.

marc0789

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2005, 03:38:58 PM »

Sorry, wrong word...  I should have said Trim.  You've got to Trim the gain knobs to attenuate the signal by somewhere around -7dBFS..  or atleast that's been my experience.

ah, makes sense. easy to confuse me...Marc not understand tapeless gear. ::)

Offline wboswell

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2005, 04:20:46 PM »

mics and pres included, right?

Offline Zee

• Taperssection Member
  • Knuckle!
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2005, 04:22:50 PM »
What was your "Line In" gain set at? I ran the V2>722 and the line in I left at 0db it has an adjustable range from -6db - 18db I think.
4022>v2>722
Please dither and resample as you see fit!

marc0789

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2005, 04:29:17 PM »

mics and pres included, right?

smart*******ass. ::)

Offline wboswell

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2005, 04:45:56 PM »
What was your "Line In" gain set at? I ran the V2>722 and the line in I left at 0db it has an adjustable range from -6db - 18db I think.

I guess I was wrong.  Line in must have been set to somewhere around -5 or so on the dial when running the V3 to push decent levels (w/ cANSR on) to a 16 bit device. 

Sorry Marc, you left yourself wide open...

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2005, 05:29:44 PM »
I used to hit tons of reds on the v3, never an audible clip or even mild distortion. I think they must be off a bit.

It's not off, it's just more accurate than we're otherwise used to. :P  I have no idea about the 722, but lots of equipment uses analog metering, eg. the sony D7/D8/M1/SBM1.  Meaning that these units sense the voltage level of the analog signal and try to correlate that to OdbFS in the digital realm.  This type of metering isn't all that accurate or precise, and often varies a bit from unit to unit.

The V3 uses digital metering, meaning it is getting the info for the LEDs, including the over LED, from the digital representation of the signal at every given moment (eg, 44,100 times per second, or 48,000 times per second, or whatever).  The over lights light on the V3 by definition when there are 3 or more samples in a row that are 0dbFS.

3 samples at 48k sampling equals one-sixteen thousandth of a second.  If your overs are of such short duration, there is no way in the world that you will hear it.  So it is not that the V3 has so much headroom or that its meters are off.  As folks have said, if you look at the waveform in an audio software package, you will see the clipping.  It's just that if you're just barely setting off the clip indicators, your clips are likely to be so very short that you'll never have a chance of hearing it.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline nedstruzz

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2005, 05:42:12 PM »
No onboard pad on the 722 however when running line in you can attenuate the level using the gain pots.  The gain can be decreased down to -6, not sure what this represents in db but I would be interested to find out.

B&K 4023's >Neve Portico>744T

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.201 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com