Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AETA Mix 2000 4 Channel Portable Field Mixer  (Read 9749 times)

Offline hammerhorror

• Trade Count: (54)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
AETA Mix 2000 4 Channel Portable Field Mixer
« on: October 29, 2007, 08:43:27 PM »
I have purchased a used AETA Mix 2000, and I wasn't able to find any information on taperssection regarding the Aeta Mix 2000, so I figured that I would start this thread on it.

It supposedly uses the same transformer preamps that the EAA/AETA PSP-2 does. Instead of only 2 channels though, this offers 4. It also features a mid-side decoder and a slew of other features (see below).

The model I am receiving has the A/D converter upgrade that will output either 24/44.1 over spdif or 24/48 over AES/EBU. Not all models contain the A/D converter (it was an upgrade that you had to pay extra for).

I am really looking forward to trying this out in the field. As I learn more about it, and get a chance to play around with it, I will update this thread with links to recordings, etc....

Below is an excerpt from the website, and links to the owner's manual & specifications:

http://www.aetausa.com/Media/PDF/mix2000_manual.pdf

http://www.aetausa.com/Media/PDF/Mix2000_lit.pdf

Following extensive consultations with film sound recording engineers and the electronic newsgathering requirements of the television industry, AETA has developed the MIX2000 Portable mixer.

Incorporating the latest audio circuits to reduce size while increasing overall performance,
The MIX2000 is the most advanced portable ENG mixer available. Weighing less than 2 kgs (4.4 lbs.) the unit is equipped with insulation transformers and offers a remarkable 46 dB input headroom with an equivalent input noise of almost 130 dB. Master control stage uses VCA circuits allowing outstanding precision and stability of the built-in selectable limiter and compressor.

An optional AET/EBU digital output enables a direct connection with linear and non-linear recording and transmission devices.

This four-channel mixer also provides all types of microphone supply, pre-fade, independent monitor and master output, MID/Side coding/decoding, panning and an adjustable brightness monitoring bar-graph display with a scale ranging from –40 dB to +8 dB.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 04:53:37 PM by hammerhorror »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & MK41, AKG CK63 (Naiant Actives)

Preamps: Naiant KCY Littlebox

Recorders: Sound Devices 664, Sony PCM-M10

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re: AETA Mix 2000 4 Channel Portable Field Mixer
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 09:04:21 AM »
Hey, congratulations!  AETA are good people; they showed me love so I show them love back.  I would be very interested to hear how this sounds.  They said that the preamp designs they have in the MIXY (their 3-channel mixer) are the most advanced they have ever designed.  It looks like this one is different, however, because they told me that they are not using transformers anymore.  If you have some recordings and such, I would love to hear them.

Also, shoot me any questions you may have about the device; I am on good terms with their sales director and can probably get an answer for you pronto.

I sound like a shill for these people.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 11:09:36 AM »
They said that the preamp designs they have in the MIXY (their 3-channel mixer) are the most advanced they have ever designed. 

I wonder  how they quantify that statement and how that translates to actual real life sound? The pres in the psp2 and psp3 both sound nice, but different.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 11:34:57 AM »
Metering is out-dated. Sonically probably really nice.
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 11:36:28 AM »

huh?
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 03:19:47 PM »
They said that the preamp designs they have in the MIXY (their 3-channel mixer) are the most advanced they have ever designed. 

I wonder  how they quantify that statement and how that translates to actual real life sound? The pres in the psp2 and psp3 both sound nice, but different.

The PSP-2 uses transformers and the PSP-3 does not.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 01:35:58 PM »

huh?

:yack: yea it's not a 722, but nicer than the v3 (meters y'all)

Seriously very nice score. Looking forward to hearing this.  T+
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 04:20:22 PM »
I cannot seem to find any pricing online.

What is the cost on this unit?  W/ and/or w/o the AES digital upgrade. 

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 04:23:01 PM »
I cannot seem to find any pricing online.

What is the cost on this unit?  W/ and/or w/o the AES digital upgrade. 

I think it's been discontinued for a while now.  It came out in late 2000 I believe.  I looked at it a couple of years ago but I couldn't ever find any place to buy it either.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 04:30:25 PM »
I think it's been discontinued for a while now.  It came out in late 2000 I believe.  I looked at it a couple of years ago but I couldn't ever find any place to buy it either.

:shrugs: thanks.

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 04:46:34 PM »

The PSP-2 uses transformers and the PSP-3 does not.
Indeed, and I have used them both. They both have a high quality sound, but are different. i wonder which way this thing leans?
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline hammerhorror

• Trade Count: (54)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 09:37:31 AM »
They both have a high quality sound, but are different. i wonder which way this thing leans?

The AETA Mix 2000 definitely sounds alot like the PSP-2 to my ears. In the home tests I have performed, the pres sound nice and warm, definitely NOT bright sounding.

The bass sounded killer on the home stereo recordings I made. There are a few shows I am interested in taping this week, so I should be able to post some samples soon.

-John
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & MK41, AKG CK63 (Naiant Actives)

Preamps: Naiant KCY Littlebox

Recorders: Sound Devices 664, Sony PCM-M10

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 05:21:11 PM »
OK, now that I was lucky enough to purchase this off John & run it last night for the first time all I can say is WOW. I have never used a mixer so I ran it at home for a few days to learn how to run it. First thing using my 2600 mah  AA batteries I got over 6 hours powering my C34 on two channels, I imagine four channels will have a different power drain. So no need for a battery pack with this bad boy at a normal show. Next thing I can say is that is it bigger than I imagined but still manageable. The feature set is incredible, again I have never owned a mixer or even know how to use one but it has more features than most of us will ever use taping concerts, still I love it. I have to say it is the nicest piece of gear I have ever owned & went through a major slutty faze back in the day. I bought it since I felt it was probably the equiviliant of two PSP-2's in one chassis, why not it's four transformers in one box.

Now finally onto the sound? Well it smokes quite frankly. I knew it would but I needed to run it in the most horrible room you could ever imagine taping the worst sound system I have ever heard. I ran it at the Word last night at the Webster Theater. Crappy venue & crappy sound. The house music was boomy & ear piercing grating, I can't even explain. At one point during the show I noticed the sound man sleeping at the board! Can you imagine? OMG, maybe it was just the house board but are freaking kidding me? So anyway, I ran the C34 90 degrees at Cardiod with the HPF set at 80hz in the AETA. Look for samples real soon as well as a BT of the entire show. I have to say I am pleased, I love the feature set of the box, I think it is a real quality & unique piece plus it sounds bad ass, what more could a taper want? So looks like the Portico is for sale officially now.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 07:00:16 PM »
OK, now that I was lucky enough to purchase this off John & run it last night for the first time all I can say is WOW. I have never used a mixer so I ran it at home for a few days to learn how to run it. First thing using my 2600 mah  AA batteries I got over 6 hours powering my C34 on two channels, I imagine four channels will have a different power drain. So no need for a battery pack with this bad boy at a normal show. Next thing I can say is that is it bigger than I imagined but still manageable. The feature set is incredible, again I have never owned a mixer or even know how to use one but it has more features than most of us will ever use taping concerts, still I love it. I have to say it is the nicest piece of gear I have ever owned & went through a major slutty faze back in the day. I bought it since I felt it was probably the equiviliant of two PSP-2's in one chassis, why not it's four transformers in one box.

Now finally onto the sound? Well it smokes quite frankly. I knew it would but I needed to run it in the most horrible room you could ever imagine taping the worst sound system I have ever heard. I ran it at the Word last night at the Webster Theater. Crappy venue & crappy sound. The house music was boomy & ear piercing grating, I can't even explain. At one point during the show I noticed the sound man sleeping at the board! Can you imagine? OMG, maybe it was just the house board but are freaking kidding me? So anyway, I ran the C34 90 degrees at Cardiod with the HPF set at 80hz in the AETA. Look for samples real soon as well as a BT of the entire show. I have to say I am pleased, I love the feature set of the box, I think it is a real quality & unique piece plus it sounds bad ass, what more could a taper want? So looks like the Portico is for sale officially now.

nice Carl - looking forward to hearing this  ;D
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 07:07:30 PM »
Here it is on E-Tree in 16 bit:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=511960
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 07:17:46 PM »
Here it is on E-Tree in 16 bit:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=511960

trying to tease us with the email with no link in it eh?  ;D
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 10:24:12 PM »
Congrats Carl! John is a standup guy also!
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 11:03:50 PM »
NOICE!!!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Stagger

• Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 01:18:10 AM »
What'd I tell ya buddy!?! wait till you hear these!

[BT] WsP 2007-12-30 Philips Arena * Atlanta, GA AKG c34>PSP2 16bit & 24Bit

and

[BT] WsP 2007-12-31 Philips Arena, Atlanta, GA *6 Channel* 16bit & 24bit

Happy New Year buddy... hope 2008 is a good one for you and Stacy and i get to see y'all soon!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 01:19:10 AM by Stagger »
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 07:23:14 AM »
Nice, drop me a line when the 24 bit is seeded.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Tim

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 07:36:59 PM »
What'd I tell ya buddy!?! wait till you hear these!

[BT] WsP 2007-12-30 Philips Arena * Atlanta, GA AKG c34>PSP2 16bit - for now

Holy shit. This tape is a SMOKER

well done Stagger. I was walking down the hall when it came on my stereo and I stopped in my tracks and came back into the room :lol:

very nice
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 50 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com