Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Does anyone use Iphone or Ipd to record shows  (Read 13962 times)

Offline BobbyPlant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Does anyone use Iphone or Ipd to record shows
« on: January 25, 2018, 09:57:57 AM »
Just curious if this is a good idea? I am sure there are drawbacks, such as Iphone 8 not having the headphone jack.
Thanks

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Does anyone use Iphone or Ipd to record shows
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 10:20:38 AM »
Is this another stealth info  thread?  :cheers:
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline BobbyPlant

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 10:57:21 AM »
I've never posted here, so I plead ignorance on that. I see the advantage of using the iphone and Ipod in some venues with security concerns, but, I also see this as a possible secondary recording device. I've heard issues that Apple may only record in mono. Other issues might be old information, such as the overall sound quality.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 11:20:11 AM »

The search function is your friend...it's the button right between HELP and PROFILE in the header bar. I would suggest narrowing your search by choosing specific topics to search in.

There have been numerous threads here about using an iPhone as a recorder
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 11:26:43 AM »
Some people have had success using the DPA d:Vice to record using an iPhone.  It's not cheap, but seems to be working well from the little I've read.  Here's the thread about it: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=181868.0
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline BobbyPlant

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 09:52:49 AM »
Some people have had success using the DPA d:Vice to record using an iPhone.  It's not cheap, but seems to be working well from the little I've read.  Here's the thread about it: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=181868.0
Thanks,
I have a pretty basic setup right now with Church audio mics and tascam DR-05.
Without investing a lot  in equipment, does it make sense to use the iphone instead of the DR05?

I have searched through threads and not really hear a lot of opinions. There's posts about the gear,but, not a lot of comments on the actual recordings.
I do look at the bit torrent sites and do not notice recordings with the ios.
Thanks

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 10:23:08 AM »
Thanks,
Without investing a lot  in equipment, does it make sense to use the iphone instead of the DR05?

I have searched through threads and not really hear a lot of opinions. There's posts about the gear,but, not a lot of comments on the actual recordings.
Thanks

Check the cost of the DPA 4060 > d:vice at B&H and you'll see why it's not being used as much.  It's VERY expensive (US$1435 for a matched pair of mics and a d:vice).  There are people using them around here and some shows have ended up on DIME. 

You can't use the iPhone (at least in a clean, true 24-bit manner) without the d:vice so since you're NOT wanting to invest a lot in equipment, it's best not to consider this.  It's an expensive outlay but a pretty simple and easy to use setup. 
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 10:50:13 AM »
It can be done cheaply and successfully, but the best method I've found is using the now discontinued Tascam iXj2.

Here's an example of a comparison I did.

https://soundcloud.com/quisquose/stealth-concert-recording-sony-pcm-m10-versus-iphone-tascam-ixj2-ver-2

Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline heathen

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 10:58:03 AM »
Thanks,

Thanks

Personally, I'd get a battery box or preamp (if you don't already have one) to run between the mics and the DR05 before I'd try to record using a phone.  That will be much less expensive and possibly more reliable.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 11:31:11 AM »
It can be done cheaply and successfully, but the best method I've found is using the now discontinued Tascam iXj2.

Here's an example of a comparison I did.

https://soundcloud.com/quisquose/stealth-concert-recording-sony-pcm-m10-versus-iphone-tascam-ixj2-ver-2

But, IIRC, it's discontinued, uses the old iPhone port, and is 16/44 only.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 11:44:57 AM »
You should be able to use a sonicport as an alternative to the D:vice or tascam (for 24/48)

microphones > battery box > 1/8 out > sonicport > iphone.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:47:03 AM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3

Offline BobbyPlant

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 03:54:58 PM »
Thanks everyone, it seems to sound like it's not a great idea.
I'll probably use my DR05, but, I thought the iphone would be good for a second source recording.

https://www.micreviews.com/guides/top-10-best-ios-microphones

The link on the articles reviews some mics, but, I wonder about the recording quality, whether the mics can handle the volume, etc.

Offline heathen

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 04:12:38 PM »
https://www.micreviews.com/guides/top-10-best-ios-microphones

The link on the articles reviews some mics, but, I wonder about the recording quality, whether the mics can handle the volume, etc.
I think somebody on here has used the Shure MV88, and got a good recording from it at a Who show.

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 04:42:46 PM »

I have both a Zoom IQ5 and a IQ7. I used them fro hand streaming via mixlr and they are pretty good. Using a lightning connected microphone to record to an iphone is certainly a possibility. Although overall audio quality would not rival better microphones etc, the ability to get in better locations sound wise is a big advantage.

Offline boyacrobat

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 09:46:32 PM »
don't ride the apple train to stupidville.

job is art
tools are everything

using good tools to get a job done right is art
that's why job is art
its always been art

if you are using a phone to rec as a tool
...............YOU ARE A TOOL.....Full stop.

happy captures people

g

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.129 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com