Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Serious Problems w/ the Tascam DR-680 (and their customer service)  (Read 41381 times)

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
Re: Serious Problems w/ the Tascam DR-680 (and their customer service)
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2011, 04:29:47 PM »
Lee,
I really have no idea what happened, the unit just failed to power up
this was after I had the problem with the firmware and battery life issue
I have the battery you suggested along with a cable
so I will soon be able to use the unit (I hope  :-\ ) for SBD/AUD MTXs
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 11:19:41 PM by darby »

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2011, 05:12:14 PM »
Their actual customer service people have (so far) handled this just fine, and pending the actual receipt of a functioning deck, I will be a satisfied customer.

^^^

The unit is now sitting on my desk and I am anxious to test it out. I was treated courteously by all Teac service representatives including a status update from the Factory Service Mgr Jim Finch who is well regarded by others in the audio community.

Assuming the deck functions correctly, I consider myself satisfied with their customer support thus far and am happy to recommend this unit and other Tascam products.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2011, 05:34:40 PM »
^^^
That's good to hear.

Darby, the DR2d I received would not power up, but B&H quickly replaced it and the new one has worked fine since then.  I'd suggest that any new buyers test these decks thoroughly during the vendor’s sales return period to make sure you have a good one.  I suspect they’re either good or bad and hopefully the user finds out quickly and can get a malfunctioning one replaced without trouble.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2011, 11:51:36 AM »

They would do themselves a favor by not letting that mysterious Tascam-affiliated poster go out and smear their reputation with his inappropriate posts.  Their actual customer service people have (so far) handled this just fine, and pending the actual receipt of a functioning deck, I will be a satisfied customer.

The idea that the poster was affliated to Teac/Tascam was pure speculation on my part.  and when I followed the link SUnjan posted the forums where that guy has posted are NOT Tascam forums but actually a third party forum. 

I think that tascam took notice of the downward spiral happening in this thread and is trying to rectify the situation. 

Offline Beedy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2011, 04:51:47 PM »
I would buy this....but....this is not that i want to hear about the dr-680......

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2011, 05:22:11 PM »
I would buy this....but....this is not that i want to hear about the dr-680......

It's an awesome recorder when it works; truly a standout from the competition. Testing the new unit last night has proven good thus far, although we have not had a chance yet to test the digital input an whether it will sync.

kirk97132

« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2011, 05:48:42 PM »

I'd buy a second one without hesitation

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2011, 07:47:18 PM »
Maybe I'll wait till they release the DR-700 :) or 880
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:49:46 PM by H²O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline asobriquet

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection Member
  • electronic ears connected to an electronic memory
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2011, 08:20:47 PM »

I'd buy a second one without hesitation

Mine has been performing flawlessly since I bought it almost a year ago.  I, too, wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.   
Mics: SP LSD2, AKG CK-61,62 & 63, Naiant AKG active couplings x4 (TB cable/PFA), DPA 4061, Avantone CK1 (card, hyper and omni caps), Sony ECM717
Pres: AKG Tinybox, CA Ugly Pre, BM2P+ UA-5, Busman T-Mod UA-5, CA Ugly BB
Recorders: Busman mod Tascam DR-680, stock Tascam DR-680 (x2), Tascam DR-2D (x4), Sony PCM A10

https://archive.org/details/@dave_id

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2011, 12:54:57 PM »
Mine has been performing flawlessly since I bought it almost a year ago.  I, too, wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.   

So would I... I Pull gold with this puppy
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2011, 12:12:26 AM »
Mine has worked flawlessly as well - sorry others have had issues and I hope none of those problems come my way, but so far mine has worked flawlessly.  I'm hard-presed to find another multitrack option out there for this kind of price that is so simple and intuitive to use.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline hummat

• Taperssection Member
    • Videos in Progress or Completed
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2011, 08:33:58 AM »
Another flawless year on this end.

-j

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2016, 10:31:16 PM »
My 680 just began giving Me the lock code. I have owned it 2 years almost with it just starting to act up in June. Gonna call their cust service tomorrow see what they have to say.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:33:15 PM by discopanic1 »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2016, 04:38:34 AM »
Wonder if anyone has had issues with the dr680mkii yet?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2016, 10:28:32 AM »
We experienced heat issues with our DR 680 mkI at Greyfox. It was about 95 degrees, but "feels like 102" on weatherunderground.
What happened is tough to describe and maybe kindms can fill it in for us:
We were recording 6 channels, all Phantom powered, with AKG 460 B/ck22, C414XLS/ST's, and ck61 naiant actives. About 45 minutes into the first 1 hour set,, 2 of the channels (3/4) started showing a constant level at about -20dB while the other four channels were moving with the music.Plugged in the headphones, solo'd to 3/4 and all we could hear was a bump-bump-bump, almost heartbeat sounding tone ABOVE the music. After listening a bit and handing the phones to kindms who agreed that the tone was present, we started planning on what to do when the set ended. (BTW, we use ecocharge dual 6/12 V newly refurbished by kindms batteries- and they have been flawle3ss for us for years)
We had a lunch break and decided to use the 414's with his HDP-2 and use channels 1/2 and 5/6 only (ck22's & ck61's). we also listened to the recording and it seemed there was no adverse affects, no added noise etc from what we could tell using earbuds on my computer.
We swapped out SD cards for one which had no data on it (deleted on computer and formatted in 680). We then went and reconfigured our set up to include the HDP-2 as above.
We still wound up with the constant levels and bumping almost 20 minutes into the set. It was about 6 PM by that time and the heat was INCREDIBLE on the hill. We touched the 680 and it was ON FIRE. we pulled it out of the bag, placed it in a cooler area and made sure to power down between sets.
When the sun went down, we had none of those issues. Truthfully, I have yet to critically listen to the offending sets as they were not the music I really wanted to listen to later (Sierra Hull and Mr.Sun).
All the other sets we recorded with the 680 have zero negative effects. Kindms tells me there is a thread, maybe this one, which indicates others have had heat issues.

When I get to listen to the Sierra Hull I will report back to this thread. We bought the deck used, so there is no warranty that I am aware of, so we will not be calling customer service, especially as it is probably our issue with heat/power and not theirs.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.355 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com