Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 Monitor SW Button Question?  (Read 10262 times)

Offline herrmann2burn

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • West by God
    • my tradelist
UA-5 Monitor SW Button Question?
« on: July 15, 2003, 04:42:25 PM »
 ??? Does the UA-5 Monitor SW Button have to be turned ON, in order to  give someone an Analog Patch thru the RCA Outs?  

I wasnt sure, and someone who I had given a patch to, said they werent recieving a strong signal.  I only recently thought that may have been the cause, but i dont remember if it was on/off at the time.  

If so, does the Volume knob directly to the Left of the Monitor SW Button control the Output Level of the RCA Analog Outs?

From reading the Manual, this appears to be the case, but i wasnt sure if the Modded Units still follow these descriptions in the Manual.
Any Advice is Appreciated!!!! :bigsmile:  

Thanks,
Rhys
Take me home, country roads...to the place, i belong...

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/herrmann2burn

jessedscott

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:UA-5 Monitor SW Button Question?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2003, 05:41:02 PM »
I belive that the Gain knob you speek of works for both RCA's in and out's. But if they were not getting a strong signal, they need to turn up there gain. If running to DAT you are obviously using the 1/8" line in, in which he/she would HAVE to turn the gain up on the DAT. MD same thing, but I know once you start recording w/ a MD, you cannot change your record levels, this must be done before recording. I could be wrong on this.

I know when I run a 3rd mic into the RCA IN on my UA5, I turn the gain knob up all the way and it gives me between 12 and 6 db's, just with the 3rd mic. Then I plug in the XLR and adjust from there.

Hope this helps, but unless you really care about the "PATCHER'S" levels, I would not worry about it, just my opinion on that one.......

JDS

Offline mirth

• Needs to get out more...
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2003, 07:05:05 PM »
Rhys - the knob on the front controls the level of the RCA out. Turned all the way to the right is essentially the same level of signal going to your laptop.

To control gain on the RCA *in* there is a little knob on the back of the unit.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline mirth

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2003, 07:06:51 PM »
Also, the only thing that the modded units do is just allow the ua5 to run without a computer and allows for both digi outs to work at the same time. The mods don't affect the function of any of the controls.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 11:48:15 PM »
The digi mod does disable playback through the USB though.
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline mirth

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2003, 11:54:14 PM »
True 'dat.

Offline herrmann2burn

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • West by God
    • my tradelist
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2003, 02:43:50 AM »
Also, the only thing that the modded units do is just allow the ua5 to run without a computer and allows for both digi outs to work at the same time. The mods don't affect the function of any of the controls.
I thought i remember Doug Oade saying that the Hi/Lo Impetence Button is non-functional once its been modded.  Thats why i wondered about any other of the functions on the UA-5.
Take me home, country roads...to the place, i belong...

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/herrmann2burn

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
  • I regret selling my rig :(
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2003, 05:36:12 PM »
True 'dat.
anyone know how I can test record out of my UA-5 to my computer? I'm trying to create some samples to test the mics

Offline mirth

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2003, 05:40:58 PM »
Umm... hook up USB cable, install driver, install wavelab, configure to use UA-5 for input, hit record.

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2003, 05:42:00 PM »
Umm... hook up USB cable, install driver, install wavelab, configure to use UA-5 for input, hit record.
all i ahve is cool edit i borrow from a friend. How would i configure it to record

Offline mirth

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2003, 05:46:03 PM »
Sorry Geoff, can't help.... All I know is WaveLab & Sound Forge.

Anybody else wanna step up?

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2003, 05:47:19 PM »
Sorry Geoff, can't help.... All I know is WaveLab & Sound Forge.

Anybody else wanna step up?
well... how would you set it up for those. I installed the driver for it already

Offline mirth

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2003, 05:51:02 PM »
Umm... hook the unit up, power it on, go into your app, and open up the application preferences. There should be an option for input/output devices.

FYI - ASIO devices only show up under Playback devices so don't be suprised when/if the input device box greys out.
Your other choice for the driver will be the MME or WDM, depending on which one you chose to install with the ASIO driver.

After that, it should be just a matter of finding the record button & making sure your sample rate matches the UA-5. Bitrate can be selected on the fly, sample rate changes will require closing your recording app & doing a power cycle on the UA5.

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2003, 05:59:12 PM »
I cant find out how to get this to work  :(

Offline mirth

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2003, 06:03:32 PM »
Sorry I can't be more help.... Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2003, 06:08:57 PM »
I found the devices but still get no recording sound

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2003, 06:22:59 PM »
Got it!  ;D They sound amazing too :(

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2003, 06:40:13 PM »
I got a question. If you didnt have a sound card is it possible to run Dat > UA-5 via the coaxil in> computer via USB?

Offline mirth

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2003, 09:44:07 PM »
Yes. Keep in mind that the D > D in the UA-5 is not bit perfect. Plenty of discussion on that subject lately...

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2003, 10:46:18 PM »
Yes. Keep in mind that the D > D in the UA-5 is not bit perfect. Plenty of discussion on that subject lately...

ah... its still for sale

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.186 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com