Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Good alternative to a T+ UA5 mod?  (Read 7562 times)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
Re: Good alternative to a T+ UA5 mod?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 10:50:32 AM »
The UA-5 does have analog out  ???

True, but it's not analog passthrough.  Analog passthrough = signal coming in from the mics, amplifying, and then outputting directly to analog-outs (no ADC/DAC involved).  The UA5 takes in the signal from the mics, performs ADC, then performs DAC, and then outputs to the analog-outs.

Gotcha.  I forgot about that.  Thanks for the reminder, Brian.  +T
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 11:10:33 AM »
I missed the part about not wanting a ua-5 because of pass through, which makes my suggestion useless  :banging head:

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 12:35:12 PM »
Not to into the UA-5 anymore as I never knew about the no audio through.  That sucks. 

Huh?  Someone care to elaborate?  I' m confused  ???

I think he meant to say that he is not liking the UA-5 anymore because it does not have analog pass through capabilites like the v2/v3, etc. 

Right  ???

You are correct sir.  Now if only someone could do a mod to make it work it would be fantastic!  You'd think it could be done.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 12:53:19 PM »
Not to into the UA-5 anymore as I never knew about the no audio through.  That sucks. 

Huh?  Someone care to elaborate?  I' m confused  ???

I think he meant to say that he is not liking the UA-5 anymore because it does not have analog pass through capabilites like the v2/v3, etc. 

Right  ???

You are correct sir.  Now if only someone could do a mod to make it work it would be fantastic!  You'd think it could be done.

It probably could be done, but I'm not the guy to ask for that.  It definitely would be cool to run an external ADC behind the UA-5 for some comps.  Although to my ears the ADC sounds fine.

I wonder what Roland/Edirol thinks of us tapers, we have literally destroyed their product with all the digi/Oade/busman mods, as well as replacing the knobs, installing a digi mod switch, etc!

Pretty funny if you think about it.

EDIT:  One of the things that I would really like for the UA-5 to do is be able to convert coax> optical and vise versa.  If someone figures out how to do a mod for that, I will NEVER get rid of my UA-5!!  Is this a pipe dream? 
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 01:08:18 PM »

EDIT:  One of the things that I would really like for the UA-5 to do is be able to convert coax> optical and vise versa.  If someone figures out how to do a mod for that, I will NEVER get rid of my UA-5!!  Is this a pipe dream? 

Couldn't you go coax in > optical out or optical in > coax out? The UA-5 isn't bit perfect (it resamples a digital input), though, so even if that works you're not passing on the same digital data.

Offline tms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2006, 01:17:06 PM »

Coax-in mod on a UA-5?  Or coax-in to UA-5 plus an optical-out (or two)?  Either shouldn't be a problem.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP battery box > Edirol R-09

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2006, 01:28:08 PM »

Couldn't you go coax in > optical out or optical in > coax out? The UA-5 isn't bit perfect (it resamples a digital input), though, so even if that works you're not passing on the same digital data.

No, you can't unfortunately.  :(  That's why I was saying that if the UA-5 had that capability, then it would be the ultimate all in one unit. 

Coax-in mod on a UA-5?  Or coax-in to UA-5 plus an optical-out (or two)?  Either shouldn't be a problem.

Well, it's already got a coax in, but that signal cannot be passed to the optical out.  The UA-5 basically cannot perform the function of a C02 or a ODL-276. 

It also cannot be blended with any of the analog ins, which is not that big of a deal to me.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline tms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2006, 12:41:14 PM »

No, you can't unfortunately.  :(  That's why I was saying that if the UA-5 had that capability, then it would be the ultimate all in one unit. 

Well, it's already got a coax in, but that signal cannot be passed to the optical out.  The UA-5 basically cannot perform the function of a C02 or a ODL-276. 

It also cannot be blended with any of the analog ins, which is not that big of a deal to me.

Ok, I'm confused.  Why would you run coax-in to a UA-5?  Was it originally to act as a pass thru to USB?

So someone might want to take the coax-in and pass it thru to one or more optical-outs for patching or something?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP battery box > Edirol R-09

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2006, 01:44:22 PM »

Ok, I'm confused.  Why would you run coax-in to a UA-5?  Was it originally to act as a pass thru to USB?

Exactly.  This is one of the primary functions of the box as it was originally designed by Edirol (before the taping community got to it...), so that people could work with a computer and other sound sources, be they analog or digital.  Half of the functionality of the UA-5 is disabled by the digi-mod that people do so that the unit works without the computer in that the USB connection into the UA-5 no longer works.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com