Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help! Me recover a missing file on Roland R-07  (Read 4958 times)

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
Help! Me recover a missing file on Roland R-07
« on: December 06, 2018, 01:39:09 PM »
Tommy Emmanuel and Jerry Douglas were soooo good last night! With stricter bag policies and wands at this venue now, I relied on only one rig... :facepalm:
All looked great but when the show ended and I went to power down the R-07 it was already off - I had lost battery power at some point very close to the end of the show :'( :'( :'( :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
 (I'm not familiar with Roland recorders, this is really my first one. Most of my other decks will save the file if they lose power.

Is there any way to recover the missing file?
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
Re: Help! Me recover a missing file on Roland R-07
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 03:49:53 PM »
Its likely a corrupted file header.  Do a search on here.  Many threads on how to do it.  Just don't write to the card before you try to recover.

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 04:15:52 AM »
It might also be wise to make a block-based backup of the card. On Mac or Unix systems, you can use the dd command. I have no idea if there are alternatives on Windows, though.

If you don't see the file, then your card's partition table might not have been updated with the file info. However, your file might still have been written to the card. Think of it as a chapter in a book without an entry in the table of contents. The content is there in the book, but you can't easily find it without the missing entry in the table of contents.

I actually wrote myself a little program some time ago that searches a disk (or disk image created with dd) for all data that looks like a WAVE file. It then backs up that data to new files on another disk. I was able to restore files that I deleted with this method.

Which operating system are you running?

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 05:01:44 AM »
It might also be wise to make a block-based backup of the card. On Mac or Unix systems, you can use the dd command. I have no idea if there are alternatives on Windows, though.

If you don't see the file, then your card's partition table might not have been updated with the file info. However, your file might still have been written to the card. Think of it as a chapter in a book without an entry in the table of contents. The content is there in the book, but you can't easily find it without the missing entry in the table of contents.

I actually wrote myself a little program some time ago that searches a disk (or disk image created with dd) for all data that looks like a WAVE file. It then backs up that data to new files on another disk. I was able to restore files that I deleted with this method.

Which operating system are you running?

Mac OS Sierra. I opened the card on my computer and can now see a file that wasn't visible to me at all on the R-07, but it's showing up here. It has a little padlock icon next to it, where all the other files look normal and play.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 05:09:32 AM by down2earthlandscaper »
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 05:25:49 AM »
I can actually see the file in the "finder" on the R-07. It also has a padlock icon

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 06:56:40 AM »
I can actually see the file in the "finder" on the R-07. It also has a padlock icon

The padlock icon means that the file is locked using a file system attribute (right click -> Information) to display and/or unlock it.

But it's great news that you can see the file and it also has a plausible size. Does it actually play? If not, you might need to import it into a wave editor as a raw wave file.

Offline rhinowing

• Trade Count: (0)
    • SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 10:03:36 AM »
I believe I used this app to rescue a file like this some years back: http://www.robthenerd.com/projects/wavrepair
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 12:33:50 PM »

You could try this workaround to unlock the file:
https://www.cnet.com/news/managing-locked-files-in-os-x/

But in any case, as others have already suggested, create a 1:1 backup of the card first (using dd or an equivalent tool).

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 03:01:10 PM »
once you make a dd copy, you can try ZAR on it, Zero Assumption Recovery on the PC has worked for me a few times, but it can't bring back data that's not there.
Free download of the basic version here- https://www.z-a-recovery.com
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 03:10:32 PM »
I'm not sure how to do the "DD" thing (or what that is)  but I used the "Disc Utility" app to create an image of the entire memory card. Does that accomplish the same thing?

Oddly, I was trying whatever I could to open/play the wav file with no luck and then just randomly decided to try opening it in xAct and I was able to encode to mp3! Still, of course am hoping to access the lossless file...

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 03:18:58 PM »
I'm not sure how to do the "DD" thing (or what that is)  but I used the "Disc Utility" app to create an image of the entire memory card. Does that accomplish the same thing?

Oddly, I was trying whatever I could to open/play the wav file with no luck and then just randomly decided to try opening it in xAct and I was able to encode to mp3! Still, of course am hoping to access the lossless file...
I'm not sure if Disk Utility is actually using DD to capture the raw data from the track. Certainly if you compress the image, it will be throwing things away.

Here is a page which tells how to use dd in the terminal. It seems to indicate that disk utility is equivalent, but it doesn't come out and say that Disk utility actually uses the dd command.
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-create-disk-image-on-mac-os-x-with-dd-command/

That page also links to an app called Etcher which I think I've used to create bootable images on SD cards.
https://www.balena.io/etcher/
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 08:08:31 PM »

I'm not sure if Disk Utility is actually using DD to capture the raw data from the track. Certainly if you compress the image, it will be throwing things away.

Here is a page which tells how to use dd in the terminal. It seems to indicate that disk utility is equivalent, but it doesn't come out and say that Disk utility actually uses the dd command.
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-create-disk-image-on-mac-os-x-with-dd-command/

That page also links to an app called Etcher which I think I've used to create bootable images on SD cards.
https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Thanks for the links. I will check these out!

Offline furburger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 04:46:45 PM »
www.recuva.com

have used 10 of the recovery programs, this one is the best!
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 05:53:02 PM »
www.recuva.com

have used 10 of the recovery programs, this one is the best!

Thanks Steve. I’ll check it out.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 05:05:54 AM »
The R-09 and R-09HR have a file recovery function built in that works great. I once used it with the R-09. Since the R-7 is made my the same company, it may have one as well

Here is how it is done with the HR:

With the card in the R09HR, press the Finder Button.  The Repair option is in that menu.

From p. 80 of the manual (found HERE).  Illustrations are in the manual.

This feature allows you to repair files that cannot be played because an accident occurred
during recording; for example, an adaptor was mistakenly disconnected or a card was
removed.
When the R-09HR detects a damaged file, the “Repair” Menu is shown in the Finder.
elect-e.eps_80
Select a song from the <Finder Screen>.
Use the [PLAY Button ] and [STOP Button ] to select
a song, then press the [REC Button].
g.copy-e.eps_80
Select “Repair.”
Use the [PLAY Button ] and [STOP Button ] to select
“Repair,” then press the [REC Button].
This menu is displayed only when the R-09HR detects a damaged
song.
fig.copy3-e.eps_80
Press the [REC Button] to repair the file.
A confirmation screen is shown. Press the [REC Button] to
repair the song.
To cancel, press the [FINDER Button] before pressing the [REC
Button].
Do not turn off power while repairing songs.
fig.open-main-e.eps_80
Return to <Main Screen>.
Press the [FINDER Button].
This feature cannot restore all files. Do not turn off the power or
remove the memory card while the R-09HR is being used.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com