Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Integ/pre's with tone controls? Thoughts on tone controls in playback?  (Read 2412 times)

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
Hey all,

What are some high-end manufacturers who have tone controls on their stuff?

I was just thinking that a lot of live recordings sound better with a bit of bass attenuation for home playback. I have been considering a new integrated for my next playback system, so what are some good manufacturers that offer these controls on their gear? I would hope there would be an indent also, where the tone controls are out of the circuit. I was drooling over the Simaudio I7 integrated for a while but noticed there are no eq capabilities. I know Mcintosh has bass/treble adjustment available on their integrated amp line, can anyone suggest other brands?

Also, what do you all think about tone controls on your gear? Not very purist/audiophile, I know, but I think they can help make many live audience recordings more listenable at home. Opinions?

Thanks,
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re: Integ/pre's with tone controls? Thoughts on tone controls in playback?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 01:36:36 PM »
my arcam receiver does (but it's a HT receiver so i'm not sure that's what you are looking at). it has overall tone controls, and also the ability to set each speaker's tone controls independently.  then, you can enter direct mode from the remote which removes all processing and tone controls from an analog source if you want it to be completely untouched.  i'd bet that their 2 channel integrateds have a similar functionality.

i agree that many live recordings need some low-end attenuation.  i typically do it by reducing the level on my sub which tends to help and i like to leave the tone controls flat.  but not sure if you are running a sub or not.

Offline Wiggler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 07:49:58 AM »
I use the tone controls on my Mcintosh pre and think its a useful feature for aud recordings.
You could just add a Mcintosh EQ and use with any pre or integrated amp.
One is for sale on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/McIntosh-MQ-101-EQ-Mac-Equalizer-w-cab-99_W0QQitemZ180058557438QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3271QQcmdZViewItem

If you want more control you could go with this Ashly on audiogon.
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?misceqal&1170366597

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 07:18:37 AM »

tone controls are typically used to make bad recording sound better.  My system has no tone control, same for most of the systems ive owned.  and when they do have them (Sony ES receivers for example), I disable them.

I was spoiled by having a stereo that could easily handle any amount of bass, and as a result seldom did a recording sound "too much" in that regard.  Very rare in fact. 

that said...
I have to admit that miss dicking around w/an EQ, and am reminded of my days w/cassettes and EQs and long dubbing chains.  I loved tone control then.  I guess my new approach to tone control is "if it needs it, listen to something else that doesn't".
Still, you can also make a "eh" recording very listenable with a little tone influence.  so, i suppose it goes both ways and is a matter of preference.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 07:20:45 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 07:32:05 AM »
i agree that many live recordings need some low-end attenuation.  i typically do it by reducing the level on my sub which tends to help and i like to leave the tone controls flat.  but not sure if you are running a sub or not.

Not a bad idear, but sometimes it can suck trying to get it set back to where you want it.  It took me a while to get my sub dialed in nicely...
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 06:39:58 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, I have been thinking about the Mcintosh MA6500, looks pretty sweet! And has tone controls.

Gotta start saving...

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?hid=1&id=17&cat=Integrated+Amplifiers&prodid=1010&product=MA6500

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 08:43:14 PM »
I have now started considering gear from TACT audio, this is EQ taken to a whole new level. Time, phase, and amplitude correction based on room/speaker interaction.  :o

They have a line of "digital amplifiers". Not the typical class D switching amps you commonly think of, these keep the signal digital all the way up to the speaker-level amplification stage. Looks like some really neat stuff.

http://www.tactaudio.com

http://www.stereophile.com/roomtreatments/437/index.html

Playback is an evil, evil hobby!!  >:D 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com