Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: vocal/inst mic recommendations  (Read 9107 times)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
vocal/inst mic recommendations
« on: November 05, 2003, 06:41:29 PM »
so the band i'm in needs to pick up some mics for a gig on friday at a place that won't have any equipment.  we've got a couple of crappy vocal mics (not sure what models) but we need at least 2 vocals and about 3 instrument mics for the amps, we've already got a set of drum mics and i could use my oktavas over the percussion.
looking for relatively cheap solutions that will deliver good sound to the mixer.  any help is much appreciated, thanks.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re:vocal/inst mic recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 06:49:04 PM »
cheap and easy, they aren't standards for nothing either....

Shure sm58's for vox and sax
Shure sm57's for instruments
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline chuckcage

• Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 06:59:47 PM »
Here's what I use (not the cheapest, but not the most expensive, by far):

For drums, I use two C1000s as overheads and an AKG D112 on the kick.  This kick mic sounds great -- requires very little EQ.  I've tried my MC-012s as overheads, and they're acceptable, though I like the C1000s better.  Sometimes I'll use an SM57 on the snare at larger venues.  I have three AKG C418s (the MicroMic II clip on condensers) which I can use for toms, etc., but generally they're not needed.)

For guitar amps, I have two SM57s.

Lots of people use SM58s on vocals, and there's no arguing that they're great.  I use Sennheiser E835s instead because they sound identical to my ear and they're a little more durable and transmit less handling noise.  They're normally around $99 each (just like the 58s), but there's a three-pack available at discount sometimes.  If you want to spend less, the E825S is cheaper and still sounds pretty decent.  I carry two for when "someone wants to sit in."

For saxophone, I have an AKG C419.  It's essentally a C418 with a little better response and a longer flexible mount that makes it perfect for bell mounting.  Sounds great.

Best of luck.  I've been schlepping around my PA for five years now and have learned a lot about what works and what doesn't.  Good mics are a start, but do you have the rest?

Chuck
« Last Edit: November 05, 2003, 07:01:10 PM by chuckcage »
---
Currently:
C1000s/MK012 > PB224 > AD-20 > NJB3

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 07:03:46 PM »
yeah i know those are standards...but their like $100 a pop which is more than i care to spend right now.  any other cheaper alternatives?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline chuckcage

• Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 07:19:26 PM »
yeah i know those are standards...but their like $100 a pop which is more than i care to spend right now.  any other cheaper alternatives?

The bad news is that there isn't much in the sub $100 range that doesn't suck.  The E825S (vocals) is $99 with a stand and cable from Musicians Friend.  The mic itself is $89.  They have an 815 kit (not much mic, but hey look at the price) for $79 with stand and cable.

I don't know that you'll have time before Friday, but eBay has a three pack of E835's that's $160 right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2570517344&category=41468

I guess my question was sorta like the one everyone asks people here -- are you just looking for mics, or do you need things like stands and cables, too?

Is there someone you could borrow from there?  Maybe trade some recording favors to another band?

Chuck
---
Currently:

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 07:23:01 PM »

I guess my question was sorta like the one everyone asks people here -- are you just looking for mics, or do you need things like stands and cables, too?

Is there someone you could borrow from there?  Maybe trade some recording favors to another band?

Chuck

well, yeah we're gonna need stands i think and it would be a good idea for us to replace some cables, most lie in a crate all tangled up and shit which i know isn't very good for them.  so a package would probably be the best way to go.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 07:24:03 PM »
yeah I was trying to give the cheap alternatives, shure is definitely on the cheaper end money wise
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline sexymexi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2003, 07:28:27 PM »
yes their is if you know where to look, i got some of these AT mics, they retail for 99, when i looked in a dealer book at a buddy's studio. but they have a great price, and sound really good for the money.. great bang for the buck, if you wanna hear a room recording from my band practice i have one using just 2 of them, we're still recording on break right now.  but if you wanna hear it, let me know i can transfer some to listen to.

vocal AT-1 for only $29
http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/cart/default.asp?Prod=AT1

instrument AT-2 for $29
http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/cart/default.asp?Prod=AT2
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2003, 07:47:28 PM »
probably would be a better idea right now to try and find some mics to borrow...i don't to be a cheap ass and go out and buy whatever crap is on sale because i don't have a lot to spend at the moment, and i don't want to make an uneducated decision in the spur of the moment.  true i know the shure's are standards and i am sure (no pun intended) that they will be just fine for the situation but i don't really have the $$$ to put down on them at the moment.  i'll most likely end up borrowing some equipment for now and then later on when i have some money saved up (or when the band account gets a little bigger) we'll pick up some quality gear.
i do really appreciate all the advice tho.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2003, 08:17:52 PM »
what tim said.

but, if you can borrow...

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline sexymexi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2003, 09:33:55 PM »
if you wanna borrow a few i got some. i got 4 of the instrument mics, and another instrument AT ATM63.  let me know if you wanna borrow them, and i can get them out.  oh yea, forgot i have a few vocal mics laying around too some ibanez one, an AKG, shitty ol' EV (my first mic, cost $10 not a good mic), i personally like to use my 391's for voice, but usually for recording...

matt
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 12:47:15 AM by meximo »
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline chuckcage

• Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2003, 11:29:26 PM »
probably would be a better idea right now to try and find some mics to borrow...i don't to be a cheap ass and go out and buy whatever crap is on sale because i don't have a lot to spend at the moment, and i don't want to make an uneducated decision in the spur of the moment.  true i know the shure's are standards and i am sure (no pun intended) that they will be just fine for the situation but i don't really have the $$$ to put down on them at the moment.  i'll most likely end up borrowing some equipment for now and then later on when i have some money saved up (or when the band account gets a little bigger) we'll pick up some quality gear.

This is really good thinking.  Junk equipment is junk equipment, and you'll always wonder why there are problems.  

A few things I've discovered:

<soapbox mode on>

Don't invest in any high-dollar gear unless you can afford to protect it properly.  For example, don't buy a $1k mixer and have nothing left over for a case.  You'll pay for the case on the first repair.   Mics especially fit this issue; I've seen bands carrying around $500 in mics (not hard to come by, right?) in a f***ing cigar box.  In short, calculate in the cost of proper cases when you buy gear.

Buy a cable tester.  Behringer makes one for ~$30.  I did an inventory a while back and discovered that I'm carrying around over $750 in cables alone with the PA rig.  It's easier than you think.  Take the time every now and then to go through them all with the tester.  Repair or discard bad cables.  Don't just tie a knot in them and let them get back into the mess.

Speaking of mess, don't keep all the cables in a bag.  It'll vastly shorten their life, but that won't matter because you'll never find one when you need it anyway.  Mic cables and speaker cables (you'll end up with a s***load) can be reeled on $5 cable reels you can pick up at any hardware/home improvement store.  All your oddball cables (inserts, patches, adapters, spares) can go in quart storage ziplocks with labels *then* in a bag.  This also helps when you ask someone helping you for a "3' insert" -- they just bring you the bag that says that instead of rummaging through everything you own while asking, "What's an insert cable?"

Finally, I'm sure you already know this, but an ounce of reading and learning kicks the crap out of a pound of gear every time.  Invest your first $35 in the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook by Gary Davis & Ralph Jones.  Put it on your crapper and read the thing.  I'm not kidding; It's worth it.

<soapbox mode off>

Hope I'm not coming across badly here.  I just hope you can avoid some of the stupid things I did over the years.  Damn sure wish I could have.  :-\

Good luck, and keep playin'.

Chuck
---
Currently:

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2003, 12:56:37 AM »

This is really good thinking.  Junk equipment is junk equipment, and you'll always wonder why there are problems.  

A few things I've discovered:

<soapbox mode on>

Don't invest in any high-dollar gear unless you can afford to protect it properly.  For example, don't buy a $1k mixer and have nothing left over for a case.  You'll pay for the case on the first repair.   Mics especially fit this issue; I've seen bands carrying around $500 in mics (not hard to come by, right?) in a f***ing cigar box.  In short, calculate in the cost of proper cases when you buy gear.

Buy a cable tester.  Behringer makes one for ~$30.  I did an inventory a while back and discovered that I'm carrying around over $750 in cables alone with the PA rig.  It's easier than you think.  Take the time every now and then to go through them all with the tester.  Repair or discard bad cables.  Don't just tie a knot in them and let them get back into the mess.

Speaking of mess, don't keep all the cables in a bag.  It'll vastly shorten their life, but that won't matter because you'll never find one when you need it anyway.  Mic cables and speaker cables (you'll end up with a s***load) can be reeled on $5 cable reels you can pick up at any hardware/home improvement store.  All your oddball cables (inserts, patches, adapters, spares) can go in quart storage ziplocks with labels *then* in a bag.  This also helps when you ask someone helping you for a "3' insert" -- they just bring you the bag that says that instead of rummaging through everything you own while asking, "What's an insert cable?"

Finally, I'm sure you already know this, but an ounce of reading and learning kicks the crap out of a pound of gear every time.  Invest your first $35 in the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook by Gary Davis & Ralph Jones.  Put it on your crapper and read the thing.  I'm not kidding; It's worth it.

<soapbox mode off>

Hope I'm not coming across badly here.  I just hope you can avoid some of the stupid things I did over the years.  Damn sure wish I could have.  :-\

Good luck, and keep playin'.

Chuck

chuck, i can't tell you how much i appreciate your post.  that's some of the best advice i have read on this board ever.  +T to you every time i see your name around here (or every 12 hrs, whichever comes first ;) )
seriously that just blew my mind how right on you are.  and i've been meaning to get a copy of the handbook, too.
anyways, thanks very much :coolguy:
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2003, 01:43:55 AM »
yes their is if you know where to look, i got some of these AT mics, they retail for 99, when i looked in a dealer book at a buddy's studio. but they have a great price, and sound really good for the money.. great bang for the buck, if you wanna hear a room recording from my band practice i have one using just 2 of them, we're still recording on break right now.  but if you wanna hear it, let me know i can transfer some to listen to.

vocal AT-1 for only $29
http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/cart/default.asp?Prod=AT1

instrument AT-2 for $29
http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/cart/default.asp?Prod=AT2

I'd stay away from these AT mics... we have about 8 of them at my church and they sound like SM58's with brown bags over them.  Borrow until you can get the goods.

And +T chuck for the good advice, I'm going to reorganize all our stuff this weekend!
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2003, 04:21:37 PM »
Shure's are the standards, but I get a lot better sound from the AKG D770 & D790s...Pricing is similar, so pick your own flight...
Southern Recording, Inc.
High Fidelity Audio Capture

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.142 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com