Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best camera to record concerts? - no budget  (Read 13109 times)

Offline -jnl-

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Best camera to record concerts? - no budget
« on: July 03, 2019, 03:26:19 PM »
Greetings!

I like to record my favorite bands from the rail.  Ive been doing it on my Huawei Mate 20 Pro, which is great for a phone, but I want even better.
Better video, more zoom (it has 3x optical zoom, 5x hybrid).  And better ability to zoom - the phone i have to pinch on the screen to zoom in/out and sometimes it lags and that makes the zooming choppy.
My favorite bands allow recording, tho the camera cant be "professional".  Venues also limit cameras to not looking professional.

What is the BEST cameras that venues would allow that will record great audio/video?

I want good sound from rail, right in front of the speakers (my current phone actually has pretty good audio).  i dont want to have to rely on merging a different audio source to my video.  i would be ok with a camera that can have a good mic plugged into it.
I am hoping to find one that can do 4k video that is not time limited.  Usually the shows I record are ~2 hours long.
I require minimum 5x optical zoom, and the more the better.
Must be good at low light.
Must be very fast so its not blurry
Multiple focus points so everything can be in focus not just one point.
Image stabilization so when the ground starts to shake it still looks decent.
Must be good at handling flashing lights going between dark and bright very quickly
I really want the ability to do widescreen.  My current phone can do 0.6x zoom widescreen which is great so I can get the whole stage in, or zoom out if the artist gets really close.
I want the ability to record the whole show without having to stop recording to change a battery.....so either it needs a big battery, or the ability for me to plug it into an external battery pack while in use.
Needs to handle smoke machines well...My fav band uses a lot of smoke.
Also, some of the shows i record they have a projector projecting stuff on stage and so that can go on the faces of the artist, which can confuse my phone sometimes.

I dont mind spending a couple thousand bucks.  I might consider spending more tho i doubt there would even be cameras small enough that venues allow that are over the 2k price range.

So what is the best out there??

Offline -jnl-

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Best camera to record concerts? - no budget
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 06:23:54 PM »
(i am looking for a camera, not a phone)  phone is what i currently use and i want a camera that will do a better job than my phone. 

the sony AX100 is a camcorder, i highly doubt many venues would allow that in.....what is peoples experience with trying to use something like that??

thanks!

Offline xjsb125

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • An Our Lady Peace Fan Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 11:26:34 PM »
At best, most venues will only allow point and shoot style cameras. DSLR style cameras with removable lenses, or even cameras that have a large lens housing on the front, are generally not allowed for your standard concert goer. You're asking for a lot of professional grade features into a pocket sized device. Even though budget is no issue for you, you're probably not never ever going to find a device that's going to have all the things you've listed. If such a device was out there, we'd all be rocking it on our stealth missions. For what you are asking for, most of your expectations are unrealistic, especially for cramming them all into a pocket sized device. With that said, you'll need to do your homework to even remotely meet your expectations. This means everything from reading camera reviews, to learning tons of photo/video basics. Once you've settled on a camera, lots of practice and understanding how all of those manual controls work together and effect each other.

Audio is an entire other story. Even the best of cinematic cameras out there aren't designed to handle the sound pressure levels of concerts (and I'm assuming these are at minimum rock concerts) you're going to with their internal mics. For acoustic shows or classical/orchestral performances, there are probably some decent options out there.

You might take a look at Panasonic's Lumix, Sony's Cybershot, or even FujiFilm's FX10 series of cameras and see what you think of their body styles and your ability to get them into whatever venue. There are and infinite number of other things to learn about recording shows. Don't be afraid to ask questions. You might not always get the answer you hoped for, but we'll shoot straight. We're here because we love to document concerts, and if we can help you develop a love for it to it makes us a better community. Welcome aboard!
"I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I want to."

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 09:42:54 AM »
cameras that have a large lens housing on the front, are generally not allowed for your standard concert goer.

I have a buddy who shoots a lot of concert vids with a Panasonic FZ2500.  My first thought was it must really be a hassle with that camera because it looks so much like a DSLR.  He said on a couple of occasions, security at the door tried to deny him.  He asked to speak with the manager and showed that the lens was not detachable and pointed out that the venue's policy was to allow cameras with non-detachable lenses.  And he has always been successful in getting his camera in.  Of course, that's not to say you won't ever run into a security team that says they don't care what the policy is, and "You're not bringing that camera in."

Here's the Pany FZ2500:

Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 12:52:34 PM »
I don't think that photo is the FZ2500.
Looks more like an interchangeable lens system.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 12:56:25 PM »
True. This is the FZ2500:

"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 01:11:32 PM »
I have a Panny FZ2500.  Takes wonderful video.  I've been denied by venues who have a "no detachable lens" policy.  Probably 50% success rate.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline guitard

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 09:49:10 AM »

I just searched for a random FZ2500 pic and came up with that one.  It's from a website selling the FZ2500:

https://compareindia.news18.com/specification/digital-cameras/panasonic-lumix-fz2500/442833

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline guitard

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 09:54:16 AM »
I have a Panny FZ2500.  Takes wonderful video.  I've been denied by venues who have a "no detachable lens" policy.  Probably 50% success rate.

But what do they say when you show them that the lens isn't detachable?

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 07:28:43 PM »
One of those pics in not like the other.  Last pic is not correct.  I love my GH4 and GH5 and 3 GH3's.  But you need approval to run those cams generally.

I just searched for a random FZ2500 pic and came up with that one.  It's from a website selling the FZ2500:

https://compareindia.news18.com/specification/digital-cameras/panasonic-lumix-fz2500/442833

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 03:59:19 AM »
One of those pics in not like the other.  Last pic is not correct.

What? Last pic is correct. Here's another pic from the side with the FZ2500 turned off (lens is inside).

"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 09:42:09 AM »

"sorry, no" is a common response.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 11:05:06 AM »
“The policy is clearly stated, and I believe I am in compliance with it. May I please speak with your manager?”

"sorry, no" is a common response.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 07:18:16 PM »
Seriously?  Last pic has a prime lens 12-60 MM f2.8.  The FZ2500 had an attached lens with 8.8-176 MM.  If you do not see that I am sorry.   Carry on.

One of those pics in not like the other.  Last pic is not correct.

What? Last pic is correct. Here's another pic from the side with the FZ2500 turned off (lens is inside).

Offline guitard

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 09:35:25 PM »
The FZ2500 had an attached lens with 8.8-176 MM.  If you do not see that I am sorry.   Carry on.

According to DPReview (a very reputable camera review website), the FZ2500 is a fixed lens camera.

Fixed-lens filmmaking: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ2500/FZ2000 Review

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz2500-fz2000

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com