Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY-Simple ORTF/DINa Combo Active Bar-VM-44-links  (Read 8358 times)

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
DIY-Simple ORTF/DINa Combo Active Bar-VM-44-links
« on: February 02, 2009, 06:10:32 PM »
DIY-Simple ORTF/DINa Combo Active Bar-VM-44-links

my first try at this ORTF/DINa Active Bar for the Milab VM-44 links, using parts of the supplied mic clips.This configuration is similar to those seen here, and could be adapted for other brands of Mics.

Made from a simple piece of 1/2" PVC pipe  I had layin around - I noticed that the "walls" or difference between the OD- and ID were a bit thicker than some of the other PVC pipe I had here.

I cut the piece to 11cm - the distance which I determined that the caps would be at ORTF (17cm  at 110° ) in the standard supplied mic clips which use a simple wire clip to hold on the rubber of the end of the active capsule. Then I drilled a hole in each end of the cut pipe. Next was cutting side slots at 90° from the drilled holes, and rounding the created "tabs" or ears, much like any other mic clip end.

here are the standard supplied mic clips and parts.  I used the Brass ring with the wire Mic clip, and the nut/shaft to screw in a different longer bolt. The nut/shaft is metric, used a M5 with.80 pitch bolt, also used a few nylon washers on the bolt end. The original nut/shaft was used since it fit into the machined brass ring the "wire clip" was connected to.

did a quick "sanding" with very fine steel wool, cleaned it up with some rubbing alcohol and sprayed it with black textured plastic spray paint. The Shock mount is a Busman shock, with a small piece of foam weather stripping stuck on the bottom to make the clip more snug. I have just left the active bar mounted in the shock mount its still small enough to easily slip into my gear bag.

Finished:

Top ORTF:

Back view ORTF:

This DIY  active ORTF/DINa combo bar is a bit rougher that I would have liked- the bottom bolt sticks out more that I would like. mostly this is because it was made with PVC pipe, and I have no machine shop. The Active Bar would be nicer if it were machined from a sold rod of delrin. also If one would have access to more metric parts the same size as  the supplied  nut/shaft, it could be slicker.

I made this as I almost always run 110° ORTF (17cm 110°) with this bar and the style of how the clips hold the capsules can easily also do DINa (17cm 90°) which still uses the "average human head ear spacing" at a closer angle  and work well further from the source (IMO).  One could probably run a spaced XY with this bar, though I am not fond of the stereo image XY creates, to me it seems narrow and hollow. I realize this bar may  be limiting  for many, though like I said, I usually run ORTF, and now can also easily run DINa which works for my needs.

hope this sparks others imagination
peace
-- Ian

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:13:51 PM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
Re: DIY-Simple ORTF/DINa Combo Active Bar-VM-44-links
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 06:25:18 PM »
looks nice!
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Əkoostikal

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 06:43:44 PM »
Nice work! +T for the DIY

I noticed that the "walls" or difference between the OD- and ID were a bit thicker than some of the other PVC pipe I had here.

FWIW, the difference in wall thickness of the PVC pipe has to do with the "SCH-40" on the Pipe. The 2 most common thicknesses of pipe are SCH-40 and SCH-20. The Higher the number, the thicker the wall size and greater PSI handling capability.
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 06:48:10 PM »
Nice work! +T for the DIY

I noticed that the "walls" or difference between the OD- and ID were a bit thicker than some of the other PVC pipe I had here.

FWIW, the difference in wall thickness of the PVC pipe has to do with the "SCH-40" on the Pipe. The 2 most common thicknesses of pipe are SCH-40 and SCH-20. The Higher the number, the thicker the wall size and greater PSI handling capability.

I figured it was someting like that
thanx
:)
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak

Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 09:46:16 PM »
And SCH-80 is even thicker.  Plus it's already grey
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 10:26:15 PM »
Beautiful work.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 10:41:56 PM »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 10:51:16 AM »
Very cool Ian!  The design looks great, but I don't think I'd want to use it myself since I use different patterns at different times and wouldn't want to disassemble my milab mic mounts.

It does make me wonder about a way of making the same type bar and fashioning a diy-version of the actual mounting portion so you don't need to cannabalize the milab mounts. :hmmm:

I just got one of Darktrain's delrin bar mounts so I can run 4ch mics off one bar.  The 1.5" riser he included works pretty well as a DIN kwon-type bar.  I'll try to take some pics of it and upload them.

Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 11:17:21 AM »

Looks great Ian!
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 11:20:03 AM »

It does make me wonder about a way of making the same type bar and fashioning a diy-version of the actual mounting portion so you don't need to cannabalize the milab mounts. :hmmm:

I just got one of Darktrain's delrin bar mounts so I can run 4ch mics off one bar.  The 1.5" riser he included works pretty well as a DIN kwon-type bar.  I'll try to take some pics of it and upload them.

I'm very interested in seeing those pics from you and any further developments from you or Ian on VM-44 link active bars...

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 01:55:26 PM »
Very cool Ian!  The design looks great, but I don't think I'd want to use it myself since I use different patterns at different times and wouldn't want to disassemble my milab mic mounts.

Todd
yes I know you are correct.
like I said I mostly run ORTF I like the stereo image it "creates"
also I really wanted as low a profile as possible since I sometimes run in the "danger zone" or  inthe "Mouth Of The Beast"
however;
my original design idea  was to use a piece of PVC pipe with a threaded rod in the middle which would fit the 3/8 size reduction fitting , and to use the mic mounts un-altered, you could then use a number of pipe lengths  to achieve the spacing you wanted.  you might try that

I am thinking of trying to order a second set of clips/mounts in case I ever wanted to run something different. Though I am not sure how difficult it would be just to get a set of the clips/mounts?

peace
-- Ian
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:59:31 PM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 02:08:27 PM »
Looks great Ian!

thanx
have your VM-44's arrived?
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
looks professional

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 09:58:56 PM »
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 10:08:32 PM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 09:52:33 PM »
As an update
I have been mostly runnin DINa  (17cm @90°) with this bar
it's small lightweight and easy to mount (with the bogen rapid adaptor) and adjust.

peace
--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline Giant_Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 10:59:03 AM »
Sorry for the silly question, but where can I find those elements in Europe (and are compatible with the CA mikes?)?

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 03:06:11 PM »
^^^^^^^
Those are the clips that are supplied with the Milab VM 44 links
I don't think they are easily available, or know if any other mics would fit them. I doubt that they would work on other mics, they are very specific to the unique double grommet system on the VM 44 links

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com