Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SE4400a w/sample  (Read 3481 times)

Offline AsGoodAsGone

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Nowhere Man
SE4400a w/sample
« on: August 07, 2010, 07:38:46 AM »
http://www.seelectronics.com/sE4400a_st.html

Might pick 'em up.  I searched for info and it seems nobody has really given Se a fair shake.  I might take the plunge to pair em with a Busman W/T Mod R4.

Figure it might be a long shot but anybody have any input?

Thanks for time and space!

AGAG

So I decided to pull the trigger with these and just got them out for their and my first pull (with my own complete rig).

Pics:

Sample:
SE4400a>CM PMD661
Point at the Stacks - Cardioid - no pads engaged
My first time doing anything post.  Used Audacity.
-12db on 661; added +3db in post and fade in/out

1/2 of Rugged Russian Bear - "Faces"
http://www.sendspace.com/file/mmgsud
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 08:45:00 PM by AsGoodAsGone »
"Treat the earth well; it was not given to you by your parents but loaned to you from your children."

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: Anyone familiar and/or have experience with...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 07:54:40 AM »
sE is so confident you’ll be able to really hear the difference, that they offer a completely free loan service for all of their products! The range includes three superbly tailored ‘pencil’ instrument mics, two large diaphragm solid-state condensers, two incredible performance tube mics, and the world’s first dual tube, transformerless, studio mic in the form of the award-winning Gemini.

I have no experience with the brand,, however, being early in the morning with my first cup of coffee I took a look at your link. sE seems like an innovative company. the polar patterns they show for the sE 4400a you are looking at seem similar to the AKG 414 XLS series. and the company history in the about section is interesting.  I didn't dig deep enough to look for price, but overall, I'd check for pricing on the matched pairs.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline AsGoodAsGone

• Taperssection Regular
  • Nowhere Man
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 10:00:41 AM »
sE is so confident you’ll be able to really hear the difference, that they offer a completely free loan service for all of their products! The range includes three superbly tailored ‘pencil’ instrument mics, two large diaphragm solid-state condensers, two incredible performance tube mics, and the world’s first dual tube, transformerless, studio mic in the form of the award-winning Gemini.

I have no experience with the brand,, however, being early in the morning with my first cup of coffee I took a look at your link. sE seems like an innovative company. the polar patterns they show for the sE 4400a you are looking at seem similar to the AKG 414 XLS series. and the company history in the about section is interesting.  I didn't dig deep enough to look for price, but overall, I'd check for pricing on the matched pairs.

Thanks for the input. 

Best price I've found new is $1499 but I haven't looked that hard yet.

I found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL7113jaf_Q

Not extremely helpful but something at least.

I'm still rather new to the tapir world and part of me says go with something proven and get more shows under the belt.  The other side of me says try something new and share with the community.  If I were to get these I'd be willing to loan them out to Brian or the like to get a comp.

Best,
AGAG

EDIT:
Just found this:

http://emusician.com/mics/se-electronics-quick-pick-review/

Unlike vintage mics designed for the tape era, the sE4400a was specifically calibrated to work well with digital gear. I liked the detail in the top end, which was present but never harsh. Male vocals sounded warm yet articulate, with a solid midrange. The mic captured plenty of body on female vocals, and the track sounded rich and thick without that muffled tone some so-called warm mics deliver. Those same qualities were superb on flute.

For electric guitar, one slightly off-axis mic in cardioid worked especially well on an overdriven tube amp. Though some recordists prefer small-diaphragm condensers on acoustic guitar, the sE mics were responsive enough to capture plenty of attack, and they translated the instrument's body and overtones ably. Low-mid response was terrific on cello, both bowed and plucked. The pair also worked well as room mics, capturing a nice sense of space and direction.

With excellent sound, versatility, and rugged good looks, the sE4400a hits the target nicely. A matched pair definitely isn't cheap, but it's a worthwhile investment.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:10:01 AM by AsGoodAsGone »
"Treat the earth well; it was not given to you by your parents but loaned to you from your children."

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 10:22:38 AM »
Interesting looking mics.

See if you can find a dealer that will let you audition these. I did this when I bought my Nevaton mc51 large diaphragms. I could find no field recordings made with them and I was leery about dropping almost 2k on relatively untried mics(untried for what we do). I worked a deal out with a dealer (thanks Dirk!) that I would pay so much money to audition / rent them for a month or so, with the agreement that if I purchased them, the rent fee would be applied towards the purchase price. It worked out well and I ended out buying the mics.

Good luck, and thanks for being willing to take a chance on something different!

jd
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 11:03:41 AM »
http://www.seelectronics.com/loan.html  and from http://www.seelectronics.com/howtobuy.html
it shows the US distributor has the free loan service. Definitely worth asking.

Offline AsGoodAsGone

• Taperssection Regular
  • Nowhere Man
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 02:53:26 PM »
Interesting looking mics.

See if you can find a dealer that will let you audition these. I did this when I bought my Nevaton mc51 large diaphragms. I could find no field recordings made with them and I was leery about dropping almost 2k on relatively untried mics(untried for what we do). I worked a deal out with a dealer (thanks Dirk!) that I would pay so much money to audition / rent them for a month or so, with the agreement that if I purchased them, the rent fee would be applied towards the purchase price. It worked out well and I ended out buying the mics.

Good luck, and thanks for being willing to take a chance on something different!

jd

That there is a fantastic idea! Thanks  ;D

http://www.seelectronics.com/loan.html  and from http://www.seelectronics.com/howtobuy.html
it shows the US distributor has the free loan service. Definitely worth asking.

Great find!

I'll look into these options.

Offline AsGoodAsGone

• Taperssection Regular
  • Nowhere Man
Re: SE4400a w/sample
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 08:41:28 PM »
Bip

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com