Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT853 and AT933 Phantom Mod  (Read 5690 times)

Offline AT853rxwh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
AT853 and AT933 Phantom Mod
« on: May 16, 2004, 03:52:30 PM »
Ok, this info is scattered across a bunch of threads, and I thought it would be a good idea to get it into a single thread and maybe the archive.

(Will try to give credit where due!)

By doing this mod you will increase the max spl by 12db or so.

SP offers this as a option or a service, but you can save a fair amount by doing this yourself.

Here is a pic of their mod (they use mini stereo plugs and Samson adaptors.)

Basically LeeGeddy's diagram below describes the options of doing this mod

There are a few options for powered Xformers.

Samson - These are the cheapest - Round $30 ea from Sound Professionals.  (found em for $25, see link in parts section) Here is a pic of them from Hoyt:

AT8533x (Pic from Dano420) Bout $70 ea The 8533's are also available but they have a mini xlr instead of hard wired)

Here are the step by step pics with instructions following... credit to LeeGeddy

-undo the heat shrink on the stero mini and remove silicone and cut the wires.

Step 2:

-insert the mini xlr components as shown.
-pre-tin the 2 yellow conductors, the 2 red conductors and the shield

Step 3:

-solder the connections.  

NOTE:  on a separate note, when i shortened my AT853 cable from 25' to 6', i noted the pin assignments respect to the conductor colors.

Yellow > Pin 2 (+)
Red > Pin 3 (-)
Shield > Pin 1

Step 4:

-assemble the mini xlr connector by crimping the 4 holders to the cable.

Final Step:

-the finished modification. ready for phantom power module and phantom power from your preamp.

If using 8533x you will need 2 male and 4 female if you want to be able to switch between phantom and battery.  If you are using 8533's you will need 2 male and 2 female.

An alternative to all the extra connectors required when using 8533x's is to use 5 pin mini xlr's like Dano420 did.

Sources for parts:

AT8533 http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=560&item=AT8533&type=store

AT8533x http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=163118&is=REG

Samson Adaptors PM4's http://floridamusicco.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SPM4

Mini XLR Female 3 pin http://www.trewaudio.com/catalog/items/item669.htm

Mini XLR Male 3 pin http://www.trewaudio.com/catalog/items/item670.htm

Mini XLR Female 5 pin http://www.trewaudio.com/catalog/items/item673.htm

Mini XLR Male 5 pin http://www.trewaudio.com/catalog/items/item674.htm
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: AT853 and AT933 Phantom Mod
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 11:46:18 AM »
this may be a long shot, but any chance for the step by step pics to be reposted?  I'm thinking of trying this myself, but would like to see exactly what's involved before going through with it.

also, probably a stupid question, but I assume I can just add xlr cables after the samson power modules to connect to my ua-5, or do the power modules need to be directly plugged into the phantom power source (ua-5, in this case).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 11:51:48 AM by Chad817 »
studio projects c4 > edirol ua-5 [digi mod] > Microtrack II

laying around: sp cmc-4, power supply and jb3

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 02:15:13 PM »
this may be a long shot, but any chance for the step by step pics to be reposted?  I'm thinking of trying this myself, but would like to see exactly what's involved before going through with it.

also, probably a stupid question, but I assume I can just add xlr cables after the samson power modules to connect to my ua-5, or do the power modules need to be directly plugged into the phantom power source (ua-5, in this case).

plug the power modules right into the ua-5, pretty simple.
mics & cameras

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 05:18:53 PM »

I guess to clarify..I run a 15' extension cable off my mics right now (soundpro model terminating in the miniplug).  The cable from the mics is only about 5-6 feet (for a total of about 20 feet, if I need to run the stand high).  So, what I was wondering is if I need to have that cable extended before it terminates in the samson power modules, or if i can just attach the modules to the mic cable length I have now, and just throw, say, a pair of 15' xlr's after that going into the ua-5. 

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 05:29:28 PM »
Well so long as you use two extension cables not just one see diagaram below:

You could mod your extension cables and retain functionality for battery boxes as well.  If not hack off the miniplug on your SP pair and copy the rest of your setup off the diagram. 

Another option would be to replace the Miniplug you have now with a 5 pin xlr cable, however the wiring for this is out of my league but it can be found here.  The 5 pin cable would connect to a new extension cable you could make and then you could put the power modules on the extension cable. 

In addition you could make a 5 pin to miniplug cable for when you strictly want to use the battery box.

so recap:

Option A: See picture

Option B: see below ghetto picture
Mic---------\                                                                     minixlr>power module
            [5 pin xlr female]  [5pin xlr male]===========<                     
Mic---------/                                                                      minixlr>power module

for batt box:

[5 pin xlr male]--------------1/8 stereo plug
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 05:31:04 PM by Sanjay »
mics & cameras

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 11:42:05 AM »

I guess to clarify..I run a 15' extension cable off my mics right now (soundpro model terminating in the miniplug).  The cable from the mics is only about 5-6 feet (for a total of about 20 feet, if I need to run the stand high).  So, what I was wondering is if I need to have that cable extended before it terminates in the samson power modules, or if i can just attach the modules to the mic cable length I have now, and just throw, say, a pair of 15' xlr's after that going into the ua-5. 

If I understand you correctly, the answer is yes, you can put a pair of XLRs between the Samsons and the phantom source. But the SP miniplug extension cord will only be useful for the battery box scenario anymore.

I run my (self-unmod) 933s this way because my mic cables that now terminate in mini XLRs are only about five feet long. So I have a 20' pair of mini star quad XLRs I run between the adapters and the UA-5 when I'm doing some "creative clamping" and need to run the mics pretty far away from my bag. So it winds up looking like this:

Mic---------|minixlr>power module>20' XLR>|------|
                                                                 | UA-5|>---->JB3
Mic---------|minixlr>power module>20' XLR>|------|

for battery box I took the original SP miniplug that I cut off and terminated the cut ends in mini XLRs so I have the option of running:

Mic---------|minixlr>---\
                                  >--1/8 stereo plug>--->Batt box-->JB3
Mic---------|minixlr>---/
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 01:19:05 PM »
great, that's the answer I was looking for.  Thanks +T

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com