Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MM-HLSC-1 > MZ-RH1 (mic in)?  (Read 2628 times)

Offline attheshow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
MM-HLSC-1 > MZ-RH1 (mic in)?
« on: October 13, 2007, 02:50:59 AM »
Wooohooo! My GF just gave me an early B-day present! A nice plastic ziplock bag containing MM-HLCS-1 mics, shiny brand new!

Will the Mic in on a MD give enough power for the MKE40s? I plan to get a pre (probably CA-9100) for this setup eventually, but with a 2-3 week lead time, even if I order now I won't have it in time for a couple of shows... So, can I get away with no pre/bbox? If not I could probably build a homemade bbox (or fix the one I built before), but I'm frankly a little nervous about running $250 mics off it.

How about the mic in of the Edirol R-09? I've been eyeing these for a bit. Perhaps I should get myself an early B-Day present.  ;D

Also, any ideas for mounts (open) for these mics? Configuration for up front in a smallish music hall? Further away  and probably mezz or balcony at a smallish theatre? TIA.
Mics: MM-HLSC-1, ECM-737, ECM-719
Recorders: R09, MZ-RH1, MZ-R70, MBP
BBox: Greenmachine DIY, CA-UBB (on the way!)

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
Re: MM-HLSC-1 > MZ-RH1 (mic in)?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 08:23:52 AM »
for silent to moderately loud shows you can choose mic-in with low-sens mic-setting on the rh1.
any louder amplified stuff will make the internal preamp distort.
if you need to lower gain to 10 or 11 or even below, the internal pre will distort using mic-in.
try to get a 9V bbox and choose line-in.
2.39V plugin-power on the RH1 mic-in (measured it myself with my multimeter) are ok for silent stuff.
your HLSC mics can take up to 12V and the 138db SPL were measured at 5V according to Mike from mmadness.

the edirol r-09 can take much higher levels on mic-in and it´s almost impossible to overload the internal pre on the r-09. BUT it´s more noisy than the rh1 preamp AND the input jacks might break even when using right-angle plugs. happened to me 2 times...got 2 new r09 on warranty but sold the last one unwrapped as i don´t trust the r09´s jacks anymore. always handled them carefully as i knew about the input-issues.

good luck and happy birthday ;)

I can mail you a sample of a small club show with hlsc-1=>mic-in on the rh1 at level 12/13, so you get an idea of what SPL are possible on mic-in. PM me your email....

You DON´T need an external preamp using the RH1!
silent shows: MIC-in at low-sens-mic setting
loud shows: LINE-IN with a 9V bbox

Your HLSC mics are NOT low-sensitive mics. They actually provide a pretty hot signal.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 08:37:06 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 10:41:32 AM »
Arni knows.  I have used the same setup.  Just get that battery box.   8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

nameloc01

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 12:45:31 PM »
Anything other than very soft music use line in.

Offline attheshow

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 02:10:33 PM »
Thanks for all the advice! I understand I won't need the gain of a pre going into the RH-1 with these mics, but I could run the pre with zero gain and it would act as a batt box, right? I'm just thinking that the external pre will be a more versatile purchase in the long run, as I expect I'll end up with a collection of mics/recorders some day.

Maybe I'll try building that (9v, greenmachine) batt box again from scratch (I think I have enough leftover parts) and give that a go until I can get one of the package deals from CA...

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 03:11:46 PM »
Thanks for all the advice! I understand I won't need the gain of a pre going into the RH-1 with these mics, but I could run the pre with zero gain and it would act as a batt box, right? I'm just thinking that the external pre will be a more versatile purchase in the long run, as I expect I'll end up with a collection of mics/recorders some day.

Maybe I'll try building that (9v, greenmachine) batt box again from scratch (I think I have enough leftover parts) and give that a go until I can get one of the package deals from CA...
using all gain from the external pre might overload the pre´s output(or the line-input) which results in a distorted recording, although levels show no clipping on your recording device. happened to me once when i 1st used my external MM-StereoPreamp at a really low-SPL recording in a theater...no music only spoken words.

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 03:44:26 PM »
Arni, I think he meant set the gain to zero gain, not zero dB.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline attheshow

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 07:12:44 PM »
Yeah, a pre set to zero gain = a batt box, right? If not, what is the difference?

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 03:19:25 AM »
Arni, I think he meant set the gain to zero gain, not zero dB.
in iriver-terms gain is measured and adjusted in dB on the recording screen for each channel  ;).
0dB gain means no internal amplification.
for loud shows this might be ok using an external as you only need a little external preamplification, so the input might not get overloaded.
for silent stuff it´s a deadly combination on the iriver with 0dB gain and all amplification coming from the external pre. even spoken words without any music in a theater will distort ;)....I tried it.

my external pre set to zero gain(knob all the way left) ATTENUATES the signal considerably.
unity gain is about 9 o´clock position on MY MM-StereoPreamp.
you need to find out yourself in your living room recording loud music what unity gain is on your external pre.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 03:28:40 AM by Arni99 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.218 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com