Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Phantom power question  (Read 4189 times)

Offline nolajay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Phantom power question
« on: February 19, 2017, 09:52:08 PM »
Sorry if this is a really elementary question, but I've read so many of the postings here and I haven't seen this one.

I have both Church Audio and Core Sound omnis and cards for stealth recording. I have been using a Tascam iXJ2 for A/D and my iPhone as the recorder. I've gotten OK results with this, but I would like to eliminate the battery box and I want to step up to a better recorder.

I bought a Tascam D40 from craigslist ($95), thinking it would provide phantom power for the microphones. Now that I have it, I realize that it provides either 24 or 48 volts, plus I have to get am adapter to go from the 1/8" plug to two 1/4" plugs (I assume the microphones are unbalanced like the 1/4" would be). I gather that the microphones use 9 volts phantom power (I saw that somewhere on one of the forums here).

So my question is, among all the different brands of recorders (Tascam, Roland/Edirol, Sony, etc.) discussed on these forums, is there one which would allow me to simply plug in my microphones directly?

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: Phantom power question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 04:10:31 AM »
There is really no such thing as 9V phantom power.

Phantom power is normally 48V ±4V.

There are also, lesser used, phantom standards of 24V and 12V - also ±4V.

Some microphones work from 12V to 48V ±4V.

Phantom power is *only* on balanced microphones and normally via an XLR (sometimes on a 3-pole standard jack, but not very often).

Low voltage power for an unbalanced mic. (normally from about 4V to 12V) is "plug-in power".  This is for unbalanced electret mics.

Unfortumately I have seen some US companies calling "plug-in power" as "phantom power", but this is very wrong as it causes confusion and could damage a microphone.

For phantom power, you will need a recorder that has the XLR microphone connectors - and make sure that it can provide proper the 48V required and the current capability to power a pair of microphones.

The spec. states 48V ±4V and 10mA per mic. (most mics will require about 4mA on average).

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 08:40:12 AM »

What you are looking for in a deck is "plug in power" usually supplied by the 1/8th inch input on miniature recorders.

Most miniature recorders supply less than 5V on the plug (some as low as 2 or 3V) so you will need a battery box/preamp for your mics to perform to spec in most instances. A million people have been burned trying to eliminate the batt box. Just use it.

I can say that the Marantz PMD620 supplies around 5V and I have used a pair of DPA 4060 directly into the input at moderately loud volumes with good results.

I took a quick look at the D40 and it's unclear just looking at the pictures if it actually has an 1/8 input. If you plan on keeping it I guess you could go mics > batt box > 1/4 inputs.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline nolajay

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 03:16:27 PM »
Thanks for the clarification/advice.

You're right that the DR40 doesn't have 1/8" input (I thought it might but it doesn't). So if I stick with it it'll be as you say mics > batt box > 1/8 to 1/4 Y adapter > 1/4 inputs

Oh well...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 03:18:22 PM by nolajay »

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 05:54:03 PM »
There are also, lesser used, phantom standards of 24V and 12V - also ±4V.

P12 is specified as +/-1V.

Thanks for the clarification.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 11:26:56 PM »
I have several ruined recordings from the period of time when I thought, "With decent mics and plug-in power, I don't need a battery box." It's a small price to pay for knowing you're getting the best out of your equipment.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com