Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: B&W 802 Matrix?  (Read 17993 times)

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
Re: B&W 802 Matrix?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 04:04:12 PM »
Concerning amps, I've been reading good things about the Hypex based kits on some DIY and mastering forums.  I'm thinking one UCD400 module per speaker should do it.  I'd like to build them as individual monoblocks but that would get too costly, so I'm considering a 3 channel amp for the fronts (possibly this diycable.com kit) or maybe one big multi-channel amp for the whole system along the lines of their 5 channel version.

Interesting, I've haven't kept up on digital amps in a while (hugs his cheap Sony STR-DA3000ES digital amp) but didn't know that that digital amps without digi-in were flourishing.  What are you planning on using as DAC and pre infront.

The existing pair I have now have the Sound Anchor stands, the pair in route do not.  I plan on building some nice matching stone or cast concrete plinths for all of them.  It will be interesting to see if I hear a difference with the stands vs other ways of getting the tweeters up to ear height.

What I really like about the Sound Anchors is the ability to slightly tilt the plane of the speakers up to increase the vertical image.   After having them I'm surprised that this kind of adjustment isn't something more people would like. 
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: B&W 802 Matrix?
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 05:38:44 PM »
Technically they aren't actually digital amps but use an analog class D scheme. Here's an interesting article by Hypex designer Bruno Putzeys titled "All Amplifiers Are Analogue But Some Amplifiers Are More Analogue Than Others"

Currently I'm using a receiver very similar to yours, a Panasonic XR-55.  Very nice sounding for the price,
it's treated me well.

Not sure yet what I'll do upstream.  I really like the Mytek converters, but a Mytek multi-channel setup gets pricey.  Considering looking a used Lexicon MC series surround controller.  I'll be using some form of computer source playback so I'll probably need a soundcard > multi-channel DAC setup.  I don't think there are any networkable media devices that support unencoded multi-channel.  Most are stereo + digital pass through of DTS/Dolby encoded surround at best.

I do plan on designing the bases to allow some tilt with threaded studs to the exiting mounting points on the speakers.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com