Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: VSA VR4 speakers  (Read 19183 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
VSA VR4 speakers
« on: December 19, 2005, 05:41:23 PM »
I recently missed a pair of VR-1's on audiogon.. While waiting for another pair to come by, I've been reading about the other VSA models.  The various VR4 models have my attention.

How do the older VR4's compare to the newer?  What to snag, what to avoid?

Thanks!

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: VSA VR4 speakers
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 06:56:47 PM »
They sound awesome and are the best bang-for-the-buck VSA speakers (used). I've seen pairs go for $1500 on A'gon. The downside is that they're freakin' HUGE and ugly. The 4jrs are probably another $1k above that used, but are much nicer looking. The soundstage of the jrs isn't as expansive as the original 4s, but I think this can be a good thing depending on your room. The jrs can live in a smaller room.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 07:30:21 PM »
if you can find a pair locally for 1500, you should grab them.  Vsa has an upgrade program to turn them into vr7's for around $2k.  I'd fluff them more, but I'm on my bberry!
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 10:07:45 PM »
I have the JR's & Nick has the SR's. According to VSA & my own ears, the SR's go deeper & higher than my JR's. I love the SR's & would buy a pair in a second, especially with the upgrade. If you do not have the room then the JR's will get you almost there for more money. the look 20x better than the SR's also.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 06:52:43 AM »
Carl,

Nick has the VR-4SR or the older VR-4's?  I thought the VR4SR was a larger better sounding VR4jr at 2x the $$.  VR-4SR retail is about $8k.  I've heard the VR-4jr and VR-4 IIISE.  I found the IIISE to be a little better, but not as good looking.  THey had that ugly cloth wrap.

sc

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 07:57:27 AM »
i've got the original vr4 gen I.
they are not all that ugly actualy.  you get  used to them.  they are not killer looking though.  not much fit and finish.

but they fuckin' rock the house. 

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 09:00:31 AM »
There was a pair of SRs on agon for 5K a few weeks ago.  I wish I could have done that.   

I want to try stands to get the JRs off the floor.  For my seating prosition and my height, I think the JRs sit too low, even with the angled baffle.  I traded emails with someone who raised them 8" and he claims to have heard a decent improvement in image and bass response.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 09:05:29 AM »
I recently missed a pair of VR-1's on audiogon.. While waiting for another pair to come by, I've been reading about the other VSA models.  The various VR4 models have my attention.

How do the older VR4's compare to the newer?  What to snag, what to avoid?

Thanks!

When's the listening party?     :)
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 09:52:44 AM »
Thanks guys, very helpful.

FWIW, SR's for $5999/obo in african haze, east side of NY:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1140059576

VR4 gen I + $2000 to get something like a VR7 seems a great deal. I have heard others suggest that upgrade is a great value. I wonder about the specifics, how it compares to the VR4SR...

The VR4's, especially upgraded, are too much for my current space.  But isn't that how it is supposed to be?  Overbuild the playback and hope the house catches up?  I'll be moving next year and I'm trying not to do anything too crazy but want to be ready if a deal comes up.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 10:30:22 AM »
In talking with others that have heard the VR-4SR and VR-4 xxx, they mentioned the time aligned VR-4SR sounded a little better.  Not sure if they were comparing the upgraded VR-4 or not.  They felt this time alignment made a pretty big difference.

Maybe someone else can comment here?

sc

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 10:51:05 AM »
I thought all VR4's were time aligned.  Earlier versions had the "stepped" housings for mid and high drivers.  Later versions used a flush cabinet with passive circuits in the crossover to achieve time alignment.  I think I read this info in the VR4>7 upgrade page.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 11:54:03 AM »
Most of the discussion on this VR4 upgrade page focuses on comparisons to the VR5.  I wonder how the VR5 compares to the upgraded VR4..

http://www.vonschweikert.com/modifications.html

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 02:37:06 PM »
Most of the discussion on this VR4 upgrade page focuses on comparisons to the VR5.  I wonder how the VR5 compares to the upgraded VR4..

http://www.vonschweikert.com/modifications.html

A couple months back there were two pairs of VR-5s on Audiogon for a pretty nice price...I think around $4000 for the HSE version with the Hovland crossovers and the magnesium woofer upgrade.  They were on there over a month before they sold.

This guy has had his advertised for at least two months -
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1139710947
He may be getting desperate to sell.

If I ever get rid of my VR-2's, it'll probably be for the VR-5 HSE.

Later,
   pjdavep

Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2005, 03:27:56 PM »
This guy has had his advertised for at least two months -
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1139710947
He may be getting desperate to sell.

Schwing! *sigh* if only ...

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 05:46:31 PM »
the VR4's are probably one of the best gems in the used game.
so accurate and powerful.  hard to believe these mid sized refridgerators can image like they do.  I love Carls 4jrs, but I like my 4s a lot.  Especialy for the short money I paid.  I can upgrade the back end of my system forever before I ever outgrow these or make demands on them that they can't deliver.

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 06:23:56 PM »
Sorry Scott, you are correct as far as the Sr. is concerned but I call all the original VR4 Sr's now since they introduced the Jr's.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2005, 06:59:02 PM »
the VR4's are probably one of the best gems in the used game.
so accurate and powerfull

Are you powering these with the Sony?

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2005, 07:26:18 PM »
yes.  A 3000es.
they could be powered better though.  the McCormack DNA-1 I used to have had much more "impact" than the sony.  These things would make your ears hurt at low volume just due to room presurization.  I loved it.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005, 09:24:03 AM »
Ugh!!  A pair of month old VR4Jr's just went up for sale 60 miles from my house!

I never thought I'd catch myself saying this but .... that wood is sexy. 

I have the cherry because that is what was available used at the time but I'd rather have those.  You will be happy with the 4JRs if you decide to go that route.  Maybe not the bargain that the VR4IIs are right now, but worth the expense.  Also, they tend to sell easily so if you get them and then change your mind, you aren't really out anything since you won't pay shipping for those.

Actually if you (or anyone) get them and decide you prefer the cherry, I'm up for a trade.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2005, 09:47:29 AM »
Ugh!!  A pair of month old VR4Jr's just went up for sale 60 miles from my house!

I really am leaning towards just getting a nice pair of VR4's and _maybe_ having them upgraded..  But those VR4jr's sure are purty...

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1140317044

Damn you those were my secret!  Pass through 48307 everyday to and from work (about 20min) from me now.  If I pick them up maybe a trade could be had.  I plan to go all red cherry.  Only thing I've been waiting for is for Albert to design a new center channel.  LCR-15 = WEAK!!  Right now I plan on holding what I have and upgrading the front end and then upgrade speakers. Planned overhaul to take place Q3 '06.  As bad as I want to do it all now, the boat is FS and I've got my eye on a new larger/faster/louder one.  HT gets majority of use Oct-Apr.  Season is already half gone.

Freelunch, buy those 4jr's!!!  Best price I've seen considering you could pick them up!

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2005, 10:01:00 AM »
african hazelwood is the way to go

and damn, those vr4srs in suffern are tempting.  though my room isn't even big enough for the vr2s...

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2005, 11:04:33 AM »
Cherry is nice but the AH is definitely my favorite finish. Don't care for the light maple at all.

The point about resale is well taken. I could enjoy these while I decide my next gear move. Whether that is 'find VR4 and maybe upgrade' or something else..  And the vr4jr would easily sell.. It shouldn't cost me much at all to play with these over the next year..

As I mentioned, any VR4 is too much for my current space. But given the appearance of the old VR4 and the reasonable cost, I could see sticking them in the new basement listening room without much guilt (which at 11x20 is really sized more for VR-1's).  My current upstairs floor plan is mostly an "L"  (or "C" with the kitching in the middle) and also not well suited to big speakers.  The VR4jr looks so good, it would be hard to stick them downstairs out of sight and away from where I spend the most time.  The livingroom would be okay except for the fireplace in the corner..

Tough decision. I sent the seller a note.

Scervin, I didn't know you were in this area.. But it makes sense based on your comments in the auto industry threads.  Is team mich going to see you out taping anytime soon? (trying to remember if I have and don't remember..)

Has anyone ever heard the nucleus ref 3's?  They are getting a fair bit of press. There is a dealer in town but I haven't stopped by..

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/newsletter/150/gallo.html

Offline cdevs

• Taperssection Regular
  • I got a pork roll egg cheese & bacon
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2005, 02:11:58 PM »
I heard a pair of those Gallos here in Portland. Nice imaging but a bit of a cold & clinical sound to my ears. LF extension wasn't the best either. They are also rather short. Worst of all are the looks. Kinda like sitting in front of a science project dreamed up by the car stereo salesman at Circuit City.

But other than that they're great, Im sure you'll love them :-*
Gefell MG300s> Bumblebees> Apogee Mini-MP> Edirol R-09hr

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2005, 02:26:25 PM »
Worst of all are the looks. Kinda like sitting in front of a science project dreamed up by the car stereo salesman at Circuit City.

But other than that they're great, Im sure you'll love them 

Funny cdev.. I was, for a moment, suspending my concerns about their appearance. After all, I am considering VR4's.  :P

I love the "must be made up" quote from the wife: 'As my wife said, "With these speakers, the music just happens within its own space; you can see the Gallos in front of you, but you don't even have the sense that they're on."'  "Honey, if you let me attribute this quote to you, I promise that they'll be gone by the end of the month..."

I've been thinking about those damn vr4jr's all morning.. I have the seller's number. I know my old plan was the best: Get some nice VR-1's and wait for some VR4's. But you know how it goes..

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2005, 03:48:21 PM »
It may be a good idea to audition some Dali Helicon or Euphoria's and maybe some Revel Performa series. 

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2005, 04:31:37 PM »
If I could do it again I would also get the African but I had no choice at all, mine are the first pair ever made (serial number 0000 & 0001) They were on display at all the shows & the pics on the website as well as the magazines.

I think the 4Jr's are outstanding but if you have the room go big or go home!

>:D

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2005, 06:05:02 PM »
I've been thinking about those damn vr4jr's all morning.. I have the seller's number. I know my old plan was the best: Get some nice VR-1's and wait for some VR4's. But you know how it goes..

I say this with all sincerity and not just because I'm a recovering upgrade junkie:  you really should consider making any purchase a two step upgrade.  That will allow you to upgrade other parts of the system without the component in question falling behind.  Since I started doing this, letting different components leap frog each other wrt upgrade level, it's led to less frequent upgrades and a lot more satisfaction.  ymmv.

But you already know the VR4JRs are the right thing to do ;-).

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2005, 06:26:51 PM »

I say this with all sincerity and not just because I'm a recovering upgrade junkie:  you really should consider making any purchase a two step upgrade.  That will allow you to upgrade other parts of the system without the component in question falling behind.  Since I started doing this, letting different components leap frog each other wrt upgrade level, it's led to less frequent upgrades and a lot more satisfaction.  ymmv.

But you already know the VR4JRs are the right thing to do ;-).

This is exactly why I keep telling my wife we need to get a 28' with a 525efi!!  Then she brings up her home furnishing upgrade plan...... ;D

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2005, 12:45:33 PM »
When I read that the VSA warranty transfers to the second owner.. That signals that it might not transfer to a third owner?  If so, I would imagine that there is a ding in value when reselling to a third owner.

Anyone know?  I can't find a copy online and it appears that vsa is off for the holiday..

Offline SonicSound

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2005, 01:12:58 PM »
How big of a room do you need for these?
SD: Schoeps  M222/NT222's & CMC6's - MK 41V's, 21's, 5's, 8's
LD: Microtech Gefell UM900's, Shure KSM44's
V3, 744t

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2005, 01:15:07 PM »
for what?  the stright 4?
I'd say anything 15'x15' or larger would be ideal.  12x12 could work too, but the bass might knock you into the next room.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2005, 02:17:08 PM »
as long as it's not a square 12x12   ;D  Square room=bad 

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2005, 04:33:50 PM »
When I read that the VSA warranty transfers to the second owner.. That signals that it might not transfer to a third owner?  If so, I would imagine that there is a ding in value when reselling to a third owner.

Anyone know?  I can't find a copy online and it appears that vsa is off for the holiday..

Officially it's only to the second owner, but when I sold my VRS/1 sub, I spoke to Kevin at Von Schweikert and he said it wasn't a big deal to transfer the warranty so long as they have it tracked at their office (ie. there is a gap in ownership that was not reported to them).  I obviously can't say that's the standard with them, but I did transfer the warranty to the guy I sold my sub to, and he is now the 3rd owner.

Later,
   pjdavep

home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2005, 12:30:54 PM »
That "new design coming soon" has been there for a long time.  I'm just waiting to see a new center channel added!  I guess you can special order an LCR-40 or something like that at around $2500

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2005, 09:35:54 AM »
Here's another one of those "Hi I have my VR4JRs for sale I bought them last month from the dealer."

There have been some threads about the number of vr4jr's on the market and the number of folks who buy them and sell a month later.  Kinda weird.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1141094380

Some VR-4 gen2's came up yesterday but they're just a little too far away.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1141078947

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2005, 10:07:51 AM »
I notice a lot of people saying that they scratched the bass cabinet putting the monitor on top.

They used the wrong damn spikes is the problem.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2006, 11:42:20 AM »
go get them now!!  Best speakers I've heard to date!!  A guy in Novi has them and he might let you listen if he is still around. 

sc

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2006, 12:02:28 PM »
I would agree, when I am ready to go bigger I will sell my Jr's & get the 4's with upgrades.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2006, 01:26:56 PM »
Nick had some ML's & now has the VR4, I am sure he will check in.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline pigiron

• Taperssection Member
  • I just did what I did
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2006, 01:33:50 PM »
How big is the sound stage with the 4's?  I have no doubt they'll tear the roof off.

I am coming from a funny perspective.. Martin Logan CLS.  Lousy bass but they image amazingly well.  Great 3d soundstage that extends well past the edges of the speakers and has nice depth. Nice transparency.  It is very hard to give that up.

I think I understand where you're coming from... I've demo'd the ML's and Maggies long and hard... and own Klipschorns... all of which have that beautiful imaging to die for... and won't do without... but I kept hearing about these damn VS's.

So as an experiment, I bought the VR5's... which is insane... I never buy a speaker I've never heard before.

Only had 'em for a short time, but so far I'm guessing that VS is probably the only dynamic speaker that may match or better what you've got. There's still that sound that seems to come from the whole back wall (but you may find the "sweet spot" is smaller than the ML's, but it's much bigger than the razor sharp horns)... they're articulate and detailed... and a hell of a lot better bass, but not overly so... in fact, the whole audio spectrum blends together very, very sweet.

But I'm still undecided as to which I like better... it's missing that "in your face" punch that I get from the horns... but I'm guessing they may be under-driven... so the next stage in this overpriced experiment is another amp for bi-amp... 'cause I'm thinking I may keep 'em.

You probably shouldn't do what I did though... don't buy before listening... but you should definitely give 'em a shot if you're considering leaving the ML's... but as always, these thoughts ain't even worth a warm beer ;D
skm184, lsd2
v2, sd722, mini-me, jb3

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2006, 02:01:12 PM »
IMO, all things equal in a great room , large MLs (cls may not apply here) are more transparent and have the most 3-d soundstage i've ever heard.

that said, in "real world" living rooms, the VR4s are awesome.  they totaly disapear in my VERY less than acousticaly perfect room.  A room that I thought my ML sl3's would sing in.  but you need perfection to get the best out of a true bipolar speaker like those.

the VR4s are more dynamic than any panel you'll come across.  they have a big fat sweet spot where as panels tend to have that 12-18" zone of magic.  the bass energy from Vr4s will kick your ass.  You need to run two seperate pairs of speaker cables to these boxes to get the full benefit.  They image like carzy as well, and have no trouble reproducing any PA i've ever recorded.  Including the energy from a large outside venue.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2006, 06:29:47 PM »
Thanks guys.. Very helpful.

My CLS are old. It is impressive that they can still do what they do. The panels were last replaced around '89.  Yep, they like a Really Big room.  I have to say I have never had a room that did them justice. Still, I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of them.  Needless to say, I did originally demo them in a room larger than any I have ever had  ::)

Their sweet spot is extremely tiny.  I guess I always need to keep that in mind when thinking about that great sound stage.

I dropped the seller a note. He has one guy in line ahead of me who will decide by tomorrow evening.

So if you do get them, what will you use to drive them?  I've heard them with Rotel>Bel Canto evo6 III and a Spectron Musician (forget the pre).  Both were great, but I'm betting the Bel Canto>VR4 III would have been much better given a good pre. 

I'm getting jelous at all this VSA talk.  Just got to wai until fall until I strat to spend money again.  Hoping a nice Pass Labs X250.5 comes along with an X3

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2006, 09:01:47 PM »
fwiw fellas, I can get some fairly crfazy deals on B stock Von Schweikert stuff. 

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2006, 10:55:33 AM »
I have a DNA-125 and a Linn LK280/Spark now.  I'm running straight out of a squeezebox3 into the DNA.  I see a DNA-250 came up on a-gone today for about $1500.  I probably need better amplification (or bi-amp) more than I need 'more watts'.  I still need to do a good comp between those amps.  I have the DNA downstairs on the CLS and the LK upstairs on my Linn SARAs. It is possible that I will keep the CLS.  Not sure what they're worth but they are still impressive even 18 years later.  The VR4's would be upstairs where they would get the most use.

Still haven't sprung for a DAC.  I was leaning toward the m902 or a canto (obviously, they're very different feature-wise). I like the idea of going straight out of the DAC into the amp but I need to accomodate my turntable.

I found a thread where the squeezebox had some problems with some DACs (Canto was mentioned) getting a good lock. Turns out that it was only a problem on much older units.  Another thread mentions some channel swapping problems. Still trying to determine if that is a current issue.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2006, 11:40:42 AM »
Get a Dodson DAC, smokes the others mentioned!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2006, 12:17:03 PM »
smokes the m902?
i've yet to hear anything else this side of 10k that does.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2006, 12:43:35 PM »
a meitner dcc2 can be had for less than 10k! :)

(now who wants to spot me?)

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2006, 12:43:41 PM »
smokes the m902?

I've not heard these new units, but the old 218 was unreal!

http://www.dodsonaudio.com/products.htm

Offline pigiron

• Taperssection Member
  • I just did what I did
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2006, 01:28:54 PM »
smokes the m902?

damn... sorry to hear that now... I pulled out my plastic just last week to order one... but I just happened to wander over to the headphone nuts sites just before punching in the numbers.

They did a head to head between the m902 and the Benchmark DAC1... outcome was that the m902 had a better amp, but the DAC1 had a better DAC... so I changed my order... oh well, hopefully they're both good... but what's bad is that the DAC1 is on backorder (from Benchmark) for 2-4 weeks  :(
skm184, lsd2
v2, sd722, mini-me, jb3

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2006, 07:25:29 AM »
a meitner dcc2 can be had for less than 10k! :)

(now who wants to spot me?)

i was thinking "new" prices.
the Meitner is the dac of all dacs, imo.

as for the Headphone nuts...
I read that too.  take it w/a grain of salt.  when we did a head to head w/the 901 and the DAC1, we all preffered the 901. 
i'm guessing th e902 sounds even better.

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2006, 08:03:32 AM »
Personally, fellas, I don't see what the hoopla is surrounding these speakers.  My local dealer got a pair of SR's in and I was drooling when they were being broken in, they were freaking gorgeous.  Some kind of ebony, I think, a striped red-and-black finish.  *Really* well-made, and imposingly large.  I had heard *so* many great things about them from the taper crowd that I was really pumped to finally sit down for a listen.

But I was dumfounded when we first listened--they were OK, but nothing special.  I felt the top end lacked sparkle, and the midrange was decidedly ho-hum.  The far-less-expensive 3A DeCapo's he had kicked their arse in the mids.  The Living Voice Avatar OBX-R2 walked all over them in every area but bass depth and solidity.  I even preferred the Induction Dynamics ID1, not my favorite speaker by a long shot, on 7 out of 9 cuts.  Now bass, yes, the VonSchweikerts were up there with anything I've heard at the $8k price, going deep and solid at any level you chose.  And they soundstage well, with nice, solid 3-d images.  The problem, for me, is they lacked the sheer communicality that involves me in the music.  I kinda sat back and twiddled my thumbs while listening.  A huge disappointment for me!!  For 8 grand, you better get decidedly better than "OK," in my opinion.

My dealer went back and forth with VSA and Albert is considering building an upgraded VR4SR based upon our listening impressions.  He should. 

The JRs?  Haven't listened to them yet, so I can't comment there.  I'd probably pit them vs. the Totem Forest if you're into bass, even though they're cheaper.   And I like the Avatar OBX-R2 (~$8k+) alot, so perhaps the Auditorium ($3.5k) would be an interesting choice, although I've never personally heard those and don't know if the magic boils down well.  I did listen to the VR1 and VR2 and found both even more ho-hum (for their respective price points) then the VR4SR, and not very well finished. 

I know some of you fellas listen differently than me; I don't recreate an outdoor PA in my home and I'm not going for sheer SPLs, instead preferring a more nuanced, light-and-shadows, communicative presentation.  (Incidentally, one might thing 'statics would be my bag, but they aren't either as I don't like the lack of physical impact to their sound).  I know this is what makes the world go round--there is no one perfect speaker, or there would only be one speaker :)  But I gotta go against the grain here and go on record as saying I wasn't impressed...

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2006, 09:08:37 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, ducati.  My bank account has been granted a temporary reprieve - the first buyer took the speakers (but can't fit them into his Kia).

So I guess I'll grab some discs and hit the local hifi places to see what I like in new designs.

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2006, 09:49:25 AM »
but what's bad is that the DAC1 is on backorder (from Benchmark) for 2-4 weeks  :(

Audiogon is your friend!  :)

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2006, 01:00:02 PM »
Check out Jim Salk at Salk audio or designs.  He makes the speakers in Auburn hills or Rochester MI

sc

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2006, 05:50:54 PM »
Different strokes............................................

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2006, 06:19:14 PM »
thats the way I like it Carl !
I knew you'd know.

« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2006, 05:20:52 PM »
These are really close to me but... BLUE GRAY?!

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1143646987

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2006, 05:33:59 PM »
UUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYY but so worth it

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2006, 07:32:03 PM »
These are really close to me but... BLUE GRAY?!

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1143646987

Tell him to knock off another $500 b/c they're ugly!

« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2006, 07:35:07 PM »
Wonder how they'd look with a wrap of regular speaker cloth on top?

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2006, 07:39:12 PM »

or how they'd sound with Chad Johnson and Ben Roethlisberger Fatheads wrapped around them
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 08:05:44 PM by goose »

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2006, 08:16:08 PM »
Those are speakers are fugly.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2006, 11:39:16 PM »
I kinda like 'em.  But then again, no one's ever accused me of having any sort of aesthetic sense whatsoever.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2006, 06:59:11 AM »
you can always resock them white, red, black..etc.

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2006, 07:32:14 AM »
Ha, proving that beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder...  I like the color!  But, like Brian, I have never been accused of having any aesthetic taste...  And in fact am color-deficient, so what I see is invariably not what you see.  But really, I think they look nice.

I found the description humerous: "I have listened to them for maybe 15 hours total. These are the speakers I have used as a benchmark because they are the best I have heard."

The guy's personal benchmark, but only listened to for 15 hours?  Pu-leeeeze.  Regardless, they look to be in good shape.

This weekend I had a listen to two speakers in this general price range: Totem Forest and Reference 3A Veena.  Different interpretations of the music, but both valid.  I believe both are in the 3K new range.  Veena was warm and cozy, a smoky jazz club...  Forest was punchy and hit with a bigger hammer.  I'll have to demo vs. VR4JR in the coming months.

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2006, 10:08:57 AM »
Another local pair of VR4s just popped up and I just sent an email.  They look like gen 1 VR4's.  What's the scoop on the gen 1's?

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrfull&1143866956

« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2006, 10:40:27 AM »
I'm going for it.  Jumping in the shower and hitting the road.  He is buying the barney VR4's btw and expressed significant concern about his wife killing him over the color. He says he's been shocked by the interest in the vr4's.

He's offered to sell me the kimber's and the speakers for $2100.  So that's about $750 for the cables. I am not up to speed on cables so any comments on those would be appreciated.

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2006, 11:00:38 AM »
2100 :o  They'd be worth that alone even if they were hot pink. :P

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2006, 11:57:07 AM »
I'm going for it.  Jumping in the shower and hitting the road.  He is buying the barney VR4's btw and expressed significant concern about his wife killing him over the color. He says he's been shocked by the interest in the vr4's.

He's offered to sell me the kimber's and the speakers for $2100.  So that's about $750 for the cables. I am not up to speed on cables so any comments on those would be appreciated.

Just saw these and was going to PM you.  Those are right around the corner from me!  Now just have them sent in and upgraded  :o

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2006, 12:56:19 PM »
Nice score Freelunch.  I'd love to hear them ho's sometime soon bud!  I've wanted a pair of VR4s for a while...

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pjdavep

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2006, 01:37:42 PM »

Kimber's 8TC is great cable for the money!  It looks like you have two biwire/shotgun runs of 14'...meaning two runs of 14' to each speaker (and 4 runs total), correct?  His ad doesn't state implicitly.  The good thing about the 8TC with your setup is that you can wire the top cabinet directly, as the VSA's should be wired for best sound.  And 14' should give you plenty of room for moving them things around.  Worst case is that you resell the 8TC and if you do, you could probably get your $750 back pretty easily.

Later,
   pjdavep

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2006, 02:26:23 PM »
Hey guys..  Thanks for all the help as my questions have come up!  And thanks for keeping an eye peeled, Scervin.

I just got back and they're in the truck, waiting to be unloaded..  He is picking up the blue VR4's tonight.  His wife doesn't know about the color yet!!  They are not a match for their home decor. If he doesn't soon perish, he should be a good source of feedback on the upgrade.  He bought some crazy new cables for the new speakers but he won't get those for a couple weeks.

Really nice guy.  His wife recently freaked about cable mess and so he just put together a nice enclosure for his stereo and tv.  His old cables were too stiff to route into the enclosure, hence the kimbers.  He was going to let me borrow the old cables to decide between them. I can't recall the mfgr but they were extremely magnetic.  Ultimately, I decided to pass since I knew I wouldn't be able to give them a decent and timely eval with the speakers being so new to my system, etc.

The kimbers are currently terminated for a single amp system.  So I would have to re-term in order to go bi-amp.

Can't wait to get them setup..

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2006, 02:31:27 PM »
+T for toys

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2006, 02:58:04 PM »
8TC is a classic cable.  Right up there with AudioQuest Type 4+ in my favorite bang-for-the-buck category.  Good stuff, you won't need to upgrade for awhile, maybe never.

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2006, 09:54:53 AM »
The bass on these is insane!   I am not used to it at all.  Definitely hearing stuff in my recordings that I didn't know was there.

They are on wood floors and are temporarily setup on cork/rubber squares. Suggestions on how to optimally support them would be appreciated. I don't think I want to spike them into the floor at this time..

The previous owner had the top cabinets resting on some foam isolators (which he kept). Suggestions on what to run there would also be appreciated.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2006, 11:45:33 AM »
the previous owner of mine used to float the top monitor on a partialy inflated bicycle inner tube.  said it helped w/the imaging. 
I just run them stock...and they image VERY nicely.

its amazing what a full range speaker can do for your recordings eh?
:)

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2006, 12:35:00 PM »
Use Mitchell Tendercups under the spikes.

Use Black Diamond Racing cones between the MT and bass cabs.  My local dealer suggested this method years ago and now Albert builds this into his new products.  This isn't a real secure method of mounting, so if you have rambunctious kids or dogs be careful. 

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2006, 11:29:10 PM »
Use Mitchell Tendercups under the spikes.

Use Black Diamond Racing cones between the MT and bass cabs.  My local dealer suggested this method years ago and now Albert builds this into his new products.  This isn't a real secure method of mounting, so if you have rambunctious kids or dogs be careful. 

The VR4JRs come with two sets of spikes, one set for the floor and one set for between the cabinets.  The latter have a rubberized tip to protect the bass cabinet finish.  You see lots of VR4JRs on agon that are described as having minor dings near the cone seats because people use the wrong spikes for the monitors and then let them slip when mounting them.

« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2006, 11:06:38 PM »
Who's up next! 

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1144943600

The subject says gen II or gen III.  $1350.  MA area.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2006, 11:07:47 PM »
Aside: anyone having trouble logging in to Audiogon or sending email?

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2006, 12:30:21 AM »
I was able to login fine. Didn't try mail.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2006, 06:44:36 AM »
wow.
thats cheaper than i'd sell mine for.  and mine are genI.
thats a steal.

Offline jpschust

• Padres Rule Your Face
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2006, 11:16:33 AM »
anyone out there using their vr's with a phono stage?  if so, what are you using for your table, arm, cartridge and pre?

very curious.  trying to make a rec for a friend.
Quote from: Todd Snider
They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain
97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain
I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime
99 percent think with 3 percent 100 percent of the time

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.237 seconds with 108 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com