Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Playback Questions: Source (?) > PHP-850 preamp > HCA-1200II amp > VR-4's  (Read 22292 times)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
I haven't decided if I'm going to techflex it or not.  If I do, I'll probably do each paired run in one techflex sheath.  Although, I kind of dig the look of the white cables that you posted, Brad.  I'm interested to hear them as well.  The HD14g cables and crappy rca interconnects I'm running now sound pretty damn good to me, so it will be sweet to get all silver cables in the system.

Forgot to mention that I called VS to get some carpet spikes & new socks for the speakers today, and in response to a question about spades, they suggested running bare wire.  Evidently Albert recommends this.  I'm still going to go with the spades, but found it interesting non the less. 

I've definitely got to get the HD based playback started.  Having to switch CD's is no fun (neither is the fact that my pre-amp doesn't have a remote), but I'll make do.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline bkirby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
Here's a messy pic of what the back of my amp looks like when using the 6ga. silver shotgun wires...

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
your lucky you have that much space between the posts.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper

No kidding!  I don't have that much real estate unfortunately, but I'll make do.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline bkirby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722

No kidding!  I don't have that much real estate unfortunately, but I'll make do.

Geez! I still think this is a tight fit, but of course things could be tighter! I will soon be switching my main amp to a GFA-5802 which has four posts for each channel which will clean things up even more! Good luck with ya'll's endeavors and Matt, let us know how you like the new cables. +T ya'll...

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
Just run a pair of mono blocks, you have room to spare  ;D
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
For speaker wire, I would have to reccomend going this route (http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,72088.0.html). I finally finished mine yesterday and WHOAH! Unbelieveable after experimenting with many different DIY and manufactured cables! And they aren't even broken-in yet! My VR-2s have never sounded so good!
I have these set-up as shotgun with four separate cables to each speaker. I tried to add techflex to these, but the wires are so stiff that it just wasn't working out for an eight foot run. I have a couple pix that I can add later tonight...
The only spades I could find that would accomodate these giants are from Vampire Wire (6ga. spades)! They were a bitch to crimp, but finally got them done! Of course I will know more once they are finally broken in, but so far I am very impressed!!!

Finally got these put together this weekend.  Installed them in the chain along with the speaker carpet spikes I ordered, and DAMN it sounds tight.  The bass tightened up a lot & I lost some dead noise during the black.  I figured it was all due to not having a power conditioner, but the cables played a part in it evidently.  These cables are stiff as shit, but sound great and look sexy in black techflex.  Thanks for the tip, Brad & Nick.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
cool.
I've since refined my setup to a smaller gauge wire, somewhere around 12awg.  its thin, yet still has plenty of wire.  Easy to run in shotgun and mount bare wire in the standard 5way post. 
I keep thinking about every extra piece of metal being another layer (however minute) of resistance for the signal to pass through.  Bare wire is where its at, and the thinner wire works out super fine.
My shotgun wires are two individual runs.  a Y pair in black and a Y pair in red.  Very easy to setup.  Nothing like that BANG factor of good wiring when it all falls into place.  I am such a firm believer in shotgun wiring.  Its the only way I'll run when I have 4 posts to do it on.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 06:41:30 PM by Nick's Picks »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com