Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Maybe a decent Universal Player option?  (Read 28047 times)

Online Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re: Maybe a decent Universal Player option?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »
24/96 via coax for DVD-V and/or DVD-A?
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 03:13:00 PM »
also...There is an audio -centric version, priced at 149 USD, ...that is the one I bought. the one with the whatever it is video engine upsampling blah blah(I am a moron with video terms) is 229 I think. They will tell you of the other one if you ask. Mine should be here via fedex today or tommorow. I dont have the slightest interest in video or HD so the 229 one was a waste of money for me. I simply wanted a universal player for my Audio Setup.

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 05:07:45 PM »
*Bump*

Don't forget to post a review!
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

RebelRebel

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 08:29:48 AM »
well, i dont really know how to write reviews other than to say that the unit has handled every format i have thrown at it(*sacd, dvda, every format cdr, dvd r/rw, mp3, vcd, etc etc), sounds better than my Denon, is smaller, more sleek, internal mechanical noise is nil, and so far, I really, REALLY love it. I cant comment on the video quality as I dont use it for that purpose.

what do people want to know, specifically? I will be glad to answer questions.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 08:33:49 AM »
does it best the Toshiba in terms of redbook and DVDA ?
:)

Teddy...give me a call.

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 09:35:35 AM »
So, what was the specific model that you got?  You said that you got the audio-centric version for $149, but I'm not sure which one you consider to be the audio-centric version.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Online Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 11:12:46 AM »

does it output 24/96 via coax for DVD-V and DVD-A?  Some players won't go higher than 24/48.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 11:57:43 AM »
well, i dont really know how to write reviews other than to say that the unit has handled every format i have thrown at it(*sacd, dvda, every format cdr, dvd r/rw, mp3, vcd, etc etc), sounds better than my Denon, is smaller, more sleek, internal mechanical noise is nil, and so far, I really, REALLY love it. I cant comment on the video quality as I dont use it for that purpose.

That's a good start....I think you have me sold on it!

+T
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

RebelRebel

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 01:43:11 PM »
you call them and ask the model...they will tell you. I dont have mine in front of me, (at work) but they(at oppo) will know what you are talking about.
So, what was the specific model that you got?  You said that you got the audio-centric version for $149, but I'm not sure which one you consider to be the audio-centric version.

SPark....  http://www.oppodigital.com/dv970hd/dv970hd.html

also..

does the oppo support gapless playback>?>??There are a small number of SACD discs on the market that are mastered to play continuously without pause between tracks. Starting with the "Batch: 4A-0111" firmware, the DV-970HD supports gapless playback of SACD. Earlier firmware could cause a silent gap of about 1 second between each SACD tracks. Gapless playback of audio CD is also fully supported with the DV-970HD product.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 01:48:48 PM by Teddy »

Offline Mike R.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 02:16:50 PM »
Do you think that an upconverting DVD player like the one above would have a better upconverting engine as compared to the one in my TV (Sony Grand Wega SXRD 1080p 55")  ???

My current DVD player is great, except it does not upconvert....

It's pretty much of a random guess which component is going to have a better scaler.  New, better, cheaper video processing chips are coming out pretty quickly these days.  It's hard to make a guess on whose is going to work better.  Also hard to guess if a new design is going to have a scaler that is _better_ or one that's _cheaper_.

There is often an advantage of letting the DVD player do the deinterlacing.  A correctly mastered DVD has information on each field that can help tell the deinterlacer how to do its job.  This information is not passed across any of the analog or digital interfaces to the TV.  Sometimes even a cheap DVD player will have better deinterlacing than an expensive TV -- given a correctly mastered disc.

I would not go buy a new DVD player just to move the scaling into the DVD player unless your TV is doing a particularly bad job.  Sometimes you're happier transmitting lower frequency (lower resolution) stuff over the cables.

AE5100
AT3032  --> MixPre-3ii
M-88TG

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 02:25:39 PM »

does it output 24/96 via coax for DVD-V and DVD-A?  Some players won't go higher than 24/48.

I second this question as I'm currently building a new playback system...
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

RebelRebel

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 03:34:59 PM »
a user created(non-commercial) dvd-a should output whatever rate you choose over the coax outputs...however, COMMERCIAL discs will not play over the coax outs because of the inability to implement copy protection over that coaxial connection....so show tapes should be fine..

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2007, 03:48:13 PM »
a user created(non-commercial) dvd-a should output whatever rate you choose over the coax outputs...however, COMMERCIAL discs will not play over the coax outs because of the inability to implement copy protection over that coaxial connection....so show tapes should be fine..

I've seen some units that resample commercial discs on the coax-out for that purpose.  This one won't even send a digi-signal for a commercial disc?  ..not that I have alot of commercial DVD-A's at 24/96  :P
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

RebelRebel

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2007, 04:36:34 PM »
  This one won't even send a digi-signal for a commercial disc?  ..not that I have alot of commercial DVD-A's at 24/96  :P
[/quote]

not through Coax, no...through HDMI ..yes..though I guess it depends on if the disc is copy protected or not.

Online Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2007, 04:48:17 PM »
thanks.

gapless playback of non-commercial recorded DVD-V or DVD-A?  this has been hit/miss on the cheaper players, especially burned DVD-V's with 24/96 audio.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com