Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Dat xfer (Sony LP setting) A/D question  (Read 11342 times)

Offline indietaperwloo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Dat xfer A/D question
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 07:29:12 PM »
For my DAT transfers, I use this:

Fostex D-5 > (TOSLINK S/PDIF) > Radio Shack TOSLINK to coax format converter > (Coax S/PDIF) > M-Audio Audiophile Delta 2496 (via S/PDIF/MIDI dongle to DB9 port)

Does the conversion from TOSLINK to coax cause any issues?

I have a D-5 that is sitting idle and have always liked that deck over my Sony PCM-R500 which I currently have running to my M-Audio 2496 because it has coax outs. I may pick up a converter though if there are no issues. Im just getting back into things and trying to archive my DATs. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

I've never had a problem with my Radio Shack unit but if you want something bi-directional and something that's more of a sure thing, get the M-Audio CO-2.
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/CO2.html
MSRP is around $80 but I think the street price is usually around $60-70 and I'm sure you could get one on eBay for a lot cheaper.
Portable 2 track:
Sennheiser MKE2 (HRTF) > Edirol R-09
AT822 > Edirol R-09
Studio Projects C4 (ORTF/XY) > Presonus Firepod > Edirol R-09

4 Track Open Rig:
Studio Projects C4 (ORTF)/FOH Feed > Edirol R4

FOH:
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > dbx 215 Graphic EQ > Behringer PMX2000 (Power Amp Section) > Behringer B1220 Mains

Multitrack:
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > Tascam DA-38 w/Burr Brown Op-amps

Out:
M-Audio Fast Track Pro > Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > ESI nEar05 nearfields OR AKG K99 Headphones

kirk97132

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 02:13:01 PM »
UPDATE:
Came to find out that some of the Dats were recorded on D8 LP setting which the P1 does not support so I got a Sony PCM-R500.  Now I wish I still had a P2 just for the AES input but I'm sure the coax will be fine.  Thanks again everyone, Kirk
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 04:38:06 PM by kirkd »

Offline mc1620

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 03:56:56 PM »
Cool. Thanks for the tip!

[/quote]

I've never had a problem with my Radio Shack unit but if you want something bi-directional and something that's more of a sure thing, get the M-Audio CO-2.
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/CO2.html
MSRP is around $80 but I think the street price is usually around $60-70 and I'm sure you could get one on eBay for a lot cheaper.
[/quote]

kirk97132

Re: Dat xfer (Sony LP setting) A/D question
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2008, 04:31:52 PM »
Some of the tapes were recorded in LP setting on a sony D8.  I'm using a Sony PCM-R500 for playback now and there is no problem playing the tapes....BUT.... I can't get the Edirol R-44 to lock on the didgital signal. It seems that the R500 is passing the signal bit for bit but its at 32hz.  So do I use the A/D  in the UA- 5 Bmp2+ or the R-44? Is there some way to get "bit perfect" copies from32 Hz? I'm thinking UA-5 To the R-44 @ 24/44.  Kirk

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2008, 04:36:58 PM »
no, its the same digital data over fiberoptic vs hardwired.

think of your computer receiving hte same data over ethernet or wireless, same concept

Fostex D-5 > (TOSLINK S/PDIF) > Radio Shack TOSLINK to coax format converter > (Coax S/PDIF) > M-Audio Audiophile Delta 2496 (via S/PDIF/MIDI dongle to DB9 port)

I have a D-5 that is sitting idle and have always liked that deck over my Sony PCM-R500 which I currently have running to my M-Audio 2496 because it has coax outs. I may pick up a converter though if there are no issues. Im just getting back into things and trying to archive my DATs. Any help appreciated. Thanks!
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Roving Sign

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 09:06:19 AM »
no, its the same digital data over fiberoptic vs hardwired.

think of your computer receiving hte same data over ethernet or wireless, same concept

Pretty sure it's the same...

Roving Sign

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 09:08:28 AM »
Some of the tapes were recorded in LP setting on a sony D8.  I'm using a Sony PCM-R500 for playback now and there is no problem playing the tapes....BUT.... I can't get the Edirol R-44 to lock on the didgital signal. It seems that the R500 is passing the signal bit for bit but its at 32hz.  So do I use the A/D  in the UA- 5 Bmp2+ or the R-44? Is there some way to get "bit perfect" copies from32 Hz? I'm thinking UA-5 To the R-44 @ 24/44.  Kirk

Can you come with a JB3? I think they will lock on to the 32khz rate...

(no settings or menus you are missing on the R-44 to make it lock???)

kirk97132

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 10:44:15 AM »

Can you come with a JB3? I think they will lock on to the 32khz rate...

(no settings or menus you are missing on the R-44 to make it lock???)

I tried every setting just to be sure but the R-44 won't lock on 32hz and there is no 32hz setting on the R-44.  I used the UA-5 for A/D since Busman Audio advised that it is a little better than the R-44.  It's not a pure clone of the recording but it is a solid xfer (IMHO).  As I stated before I liked the way the BMP2+ sounded.  I guess at some point I was going to have to up the bit rate anyway to be able to put it on cd.  I can only hope that I still feel that it sounds good as I change listening gear.  T to ya!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 12:45:17 PM by kirkd »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.222 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com