Gear / Technical Help > Photo / Video Recording

4K video advice

(1/3) > >>

jefflester:
I'm looking for a recommendation for a 4K camera/camcorder to shoot my own band performances. I've been using a Canon HF20 at 1080p, a Zoom Q2n placed close up, and I also have an older GoPro 3+ and a GoPro knock off that I'm going to try for some guitar closeups. But I'd like one cam set in audience that pretty much captures full band but then will allow post-production zooms without getting too grainy. Audio synced in post-production.

Camcorder wise I've been checking out Sony AX100 (probably more than I want to spend), AX33, AX53. Panasonic VX981 is more around the price I'm interested in ($500-$800). Some reviews of VX981 mention not so good in low light. Most times I would be using in club/party situation where there is only stage lighting.

Camera would be unattended for up to 2 hours running off an external battery or AC. What is the state of point and shoot and DSLR type cameras that have 30 minute max video recording length. Is that still a thing?

Here's an example. The full band shot is the Canon and the closeup of the lead guitar are the Zoom Q2n.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAOyTe9X2JA

beatkilla:
I have the Sony ax100 and it's an amazing video cam....you can't go wrong with it and has all the manual features needed.I have a 256gb card installed and i think that gets me around 4 .5 hours of 100mbps 4k 30p.

Although im not a fan of trying to crop,zoom in post production.I would highly suggest finding an experienced video shooter if you can.

mountaintaper:
I also have the AX100 and love it.

MicheleVR5:
I just got the step down from that model, the Sony FDR-AX53, and I'm happy with it. Only been to a few shows though, haven't been to an extremely low light show yet with it.

MicheleVR5:
I'm having to deal with HDMI output quirks with my FDR-AX53. Likely not applicable if you're just shooting video and using the built in monitor or viewfinder, but wanted to note it here.
No 4K HDMI output
general output display issues

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version