Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SD MixPre Series firmware v. 3.0 (and fix, v. 3.01) out  (Read 14774 times)

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
Re: SD MixPre Series firmware v. 3.0 (and fix, v. 3.01) out
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2018, 04:58:36 AM »
Early Adopters = Headache Sufferers  :banging head:

YMMV, but this has been my experience.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2018, 05:16:29 AM »
Yeah, well... To be honest I am a bit disappointed in SD. I recently bought a MixPre-6 and it arrived with a dead RTC battery. No big issue (besides the fact that it can't keep time), but I had to send the new unit in to SD after a week. The firmware doesn't seem to be the most stable, either. How they could miss this file splitting bug is just outside of my imagination - and I work in software engineering. Also, I find the different modes (basic, advanced, custom) to be extremely confusing. It just does not feel intuitive to set Gain to 'Advanced' vs. 'Basic'. Every time I come across one of these settings I have to google what it actually does. Having a setting to set the "Channel Knob" to "ISO Gain" would have been way more intuitive. I actually think the Zoom F8 is more intuitive than the MixPre. Currently, the only improvement the MixPre has over the F8 for me is its size, the possibility to power it from cheap USB batteries and the (hopefully) better preamps.

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2018, 07:27:23 AM »
Yeah, well... To be honest I am a bit disappointed in SD. I recently bought a MixPre-6 and it arrived with a dead RTC battery. No big issue (besides the fact that it can't keep time), but I had to send the new unit in to SD after a week. The firmware doesn't seem to be the most stable, either. How they could miss this file splitting bug is just outside of my imagination - and I work in software engineering. Also, I find the different modes (basic, advanced, custom) to be extremely confusing. It just does not feel intuitive to set Gain to 'Advanced' vs. 'Basic'. Every time I come across one of these settings I have to google what it actually does. Having a setting to set the "Channel Knob" to "ISO Gain" would have been way more intuitive. I actually think the Zoom F8 is more intuitive than the MixPre. Currently, the only improvement the MixPre has over the F8 for me is its size, the possibility to power it from cheap USB batteries and the (hopefully) better preamps.

Also the analog limiters in the MixPre. Excellent!
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2018, 07:46:47 AM »

It's nice that they're there, but to be honest, I usually set my levels so low they'll never kick in.

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2018, 07:54:23 AM »

I agree. I owned a Zoom F8 and now several Mixpre-*'s. I like the size of the Mixpre and the quality of the recordings and I appreciate that SD has a long history of great products and support, but I find some of the design choice quite odd and their firmware updates have been quite shakey. Meanwhile, I've seen many disparagements of the Zoom products and yet the F series is quite good in my opinion and is a lot more logical design wise to me..
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2018, 08:48:14 AM »

It's nice that they're there, but to be honest, I usually set my levels so low they'll never kick in.

No need to set them so low on the MP!

OTOH, the preamps are so quiet, you can even set them lower!

There are design choices on the MP’s I don’t like, i.e., no standard transport controls, not even virtual ones in the Wingman app. And the whole gain setup is clumsy (I don’t think there is actually any analog gain control).

It’s the preamps.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2018, 10:33:05 AM »
the whole gain setup is clumsy (I don’t think there is actually any analog gain control).

I don't understand why Paul (or others) won't answer this question, which has been posed many times.

How does the gain work? When we use the knobs to adjust ISO gain, what is happening?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2018, 01:35:55 PM »

Agreed.  If limiters are engaging, I have done something very wrong.  Even good analog limiters are noticeable on music.  Limiters should only be used on dialogue / SFX recording, IMHO.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2018, 01:41:16 PM »

I agree. I owned a Zoom F8 and now several Mixpre-*'s. I like the size of the Mixpre and the quality of the recordings and I appreciate that SD has a long history of great products and support, but I find some of the design choice quite odd and their firmware updates have been quite shakey. Meanwhile, I've seen many disparagements of the Zoom products and yet the F series is quite good in my opinion and is a lot more logical design wise to me..

That's the stereotyping against products made in certain countries combined with the experience of some old Zoom recorders which had really lousy preamps.  It's outdated and needs to stop.  Judge the products for what they are.

There's a very respected pro engineer on another forum who refers to Zoom products in a derogatory way as "Chinesium".  Funny that he doesn't have the same disrespect towards Tascam, most of whose whose products are of arguably inferior build quality to the Zoom F series yet they get a pass being made in Japan.  Also, Nagra can do no wrong in his mind.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2018, 01:44:19 PM »
the whole gain setup is clumsy (I don’t think there is actually any analog gain control).

I don't understand why Paul (or others) won't answer this question, which has been posed many times.

How does the gain work? When we use the knobs to adjust ISO gain, what is happening?

Pay no attention to that man behind the [gain stage]!

Seriously, it would be very nice to know.  The knobs are ostensibly just digital encoders controlling an analog gain stage, but there are TWO gain stages, and it is not clear how they are working together.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2018, 05:18:07 PM »

If you don't mind setting your levels conservatively, you should consider giving advanced mode a try.  It does require a little shift in mindset, but I have found it to work well and I think it is more straight-forward.  It's a little extra effort to change gain (channel knob > gain button > encoder knob), but can still be accomplished rapidly.  An added bonus is that bumping a front-panel knob won't change the ISO gain.

Agreed.  If limiters are engaging, I have done something very wrong.  Even good analog limiters are noticeable on music.  Limiters should only be used on dialogue / SFX recording, IMHO.

You have clearly never made an on-stage recording of Dave King!  The MixPre limiters are very transparent, in my experience (although I have never really slammed them), and they can save your butt in wildly dynamic situations like that...

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2018, 05:23:02 PM »
That's the stereotyping against products made in certain countries combined with the experience of some old Zoom recorders which had really lousy preamps.  It's outdated and needs to stop.  Judge the products for what they are.

There's a very respected pro engineer on another forum who refers to Zoom products in a derogatory way as "Chinesium".  Funny that he doesn't have the same disrespect towards Tascam, most of whose whose products are of arguably inferior build quality to the Zoom F series yet they get a pass being made in Japan.  Also, Nagra can do no wrong in his mind.

Although I have definitely seen this on other forums, I honestly don't remember anyone here doing that with respect to the F4/8.  Maybe some initial skepticism when they were released, but I consider those recorders to be well-regarded on ts.  Maybe there are posts I don't recall, but the general opinion is pretty good as far as I can tell.

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2018, 05:53:08 PM »

Although I have definitely seen this on other forums, I honestly don't remember anyone here doing that with respect to the F4/8.  Maybe some initial skepticism when they were released, but I consider those recorders to be well-regarded on ts.  Maybe there are posts I don't recall, but the general opinion is pretty good as far as I can tell.

Actually Nak700 went on a little anti Zoom rant recently in this thread

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=186279.30

AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2018, 08:49:37 AM »

That's kind of the exception to the rule though, I think, and, to be fair, I didn't see any China-bashing in his posts.  Those posts were also made in the context of replying to one of the most irritatingly over-the-top product fluffers I have ever seen here, a guy who doesn't even have any interest in taping and only comes to prop Zoom.

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2018, 02:53:31 PM »

That's kind of the exception to the rule though, I think, and, to be fair, I didn't see any China-bashing in his posts.  Those posts were also made in the context of replying to one of the most irritatingly over-the-top product fluffers I have ever seen here, a guy who doesn't even have any interest in taping and only comes to prop Zoom.

I havent actually ever heard anyone china-bashing the Zoom (I think its Japanese anyways) but I have heard a couple of people bashing Zoom products in general, including the F series, primarily because they have traditionally produced cheaper, consumer level stuff versus prosumer or professional. In the above case, I was not aware of the persons over zealous Zoom promotion, which probably explains naks comments

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com