Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Korg MR-1000  (Read 81805 times)

Offline newblue

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "Yeah, well, the Dude abides."
Re: Korg MR-1000
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 11:00:34 AM »
I don't write many reviews but here goes nothing...

At last the moment I have been waiting for for some time, arrived last night.  I had the MR-1000 in my hands and was ready to rock n roll.  Took a little doing but I made a 4-pin XLR power cable from a bad adapter that KORG sent free of charge and ordered my XLRF > TRS cables for running line in to the deck.  I admittedly didn't read the entire manual, only hitting the high points.  The form and feel of the deck is very sufficient, I wouldn't say it's a tank and there are still some parts of the case that are plastic.  I was also expecting something bigger and was suprised at how small it was.  I was hoping that the ol' dynamite in small packages rule would apply here.  I got everything set up in my bag just so and went to the bar for the moment of truth.  Setup was a breeze compared to unpacking and setting up the V2 > MMe > HHb combo and plus my bag was lighter by about 20 lbs (at least that's how it felt).  The TRS connections for the deck are super tight.  Insertion pressure wasn't bad, but pulling 'em out was a little scary.  I hate having to tug that hard on a cable or connection.  They're new so maybe they will loosen up slightly, plus I have no real experience with TRS connections or connectors (other than headphone jacks), so this maybe normal.  The menu is very intuitive, it took no time to have everything setup to roll (pretty much a one-stop-shop, rec > play > and your going), plus the default settings (1bit, 5.6MHz) keep you from recording in multibit unless you tell the deck specifically.  I ran TLM170s (card, din, <20' from stage, 7' stand) > V2.  I had the V2's gain set at 25dB with both trim pots at 0 and adjusted the gain accordingly on the MR-1000.  The left channel ended up at about 5.5 and the right around 6.5 on the dial.  So there was plenty of headroom on the V2 or the MR-1000 for line-in.  The gain adjustment for the MR-1000 met my liking.  There wasn't much play in the knobs and there was enough resistance that it didn't 'spin away'.  The nested configuration of the knobs was at first a little irritating but the taper (not me, the shape of the knob) made it easier to turn both at once or individually.  The gain knobs are a little small (fat fingers beware!) and with a gain adjustment like this I don't see how a hold button would be able to work to make the MR-1000 completely tamper-proof  The gain knobs will still take some getting used to.  The meters on the MR-1000 are great, at least compared to what I'm used to.  The graduations are very fine and they very quick and responsive.  The peak bar hold time can be set at 0s 4s(default) or 8s, I left this at the default and found that it was good enough to make sure I wasn't blowing the top off of it.  The one qualm I have with the display is it is a backlight on or off situation (sure you can set it to go off after a set time) and the back light on setting is bright as hell.  I might have to get some window tinting for the display and see if I can still see the meters through it, doubtful.  The clip lights are nice but not as attention grabbing as the bright ass screen.  Plus they clip at +3 dB, which is alright for DSD but is too hot for PCM, but the gain can be cut in Audiogate (kinda Mickey Mouse, IMO).  On a side note, there is a DSD filter setting in the menu (on or off) which applies a -3dB cut a and above 50kHz, could someone tell me how I'm gonna be able to tell the difference in -3dBs at 50kHz and above???  I had it on for the show, but I think I will disable this in the future (and see if I have ears as good as a dog, I wish).  Listening to the show afterwards (AKG271s) was awesome, but not really the time for critical listening, but from my first impressions the detail and clarity was supurb.  I might like to use a headphone preamp and run analog from the rear panel instead of the monitor and see what difference this would make.  But for monitoring it is sufficient.  I will listen more, and not at 3 in the morning after beer, loud music and a smokey bar, but when my ears are freshly rested.  Transfering the recording to the computer via. Mickey Mouse-Gate was fairly easy once I discovered some of the pitfalls.  First, the transfer via high speed USB was a breeze, however, my computer/hdd won't save a file that is larger than 4GB in size, so I had to keep the file size limited by this constraint.  Had to save the raw data for each set of music as two files instead of one, but not a big deal for just the raw data.  The entire show was about 12GB in size (for about 2hr and 23 min of 1bit 5.6MHz audio). The conversion to 16/44.1 was at about 2X real time.  I won't go into the "how did the wave look after conversion?" right now though.  So that's that.  All in all, I'm very impressed with the form and function of this recorder at present.  Sure it's dosen't have the feature set of some of the other recorders in it's class, but it is DSD bitches!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 11:05:55 AM by newblue »
To be able to fill leisure intelligently is the last product of civilization, and at present very few people have reached this level. - Bertrand Russell

TLM170R/KM184 > V2 > MR-1000 [Zaolla Interconnects]

Offline MattH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 12:27:33 PM »
So I'm out at my first real show last night with the MR-1000 and get an error message about 5 minutes into the first song. "Disk too busy". I restart recording at the beginning of the second song and no problem for the rest of the 2 hour set. It could have been vibrations as I was taping side stage mixing a stage pair and soundboard. I'm hoping it was some fluke which will never happen again but I am very concerned that it happened at all. I never got the HDD Slow message on my R4 taping in this same spot or anywhere else for that matter.

Try again tonight.
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline mandoman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2007, 01:23:05 PM »
I received mine last night. Won't get to test it until next week though.
A few comments:

* Unit feels rugged. Mostly metal, but front and rear panals are plastic.
Pretty small size is a nice bonus. Definately more compact than
an tascam or marantz unit. About the same cubic size as a 722, but much
lighter than a 722 (not nearly as rugged as a 722, now that's a tank!).

* Buttons and knobs feel just ok. Gain knob is a little small and tight, but
not too bad.

* Screen is bright and easy to read.

* Included bag is nice, but the accessory pocket is small and just fits the power supply
and not much else. Access panal on bottom is nice, but is only over
the neutrik inputs, not the whole bottom. So you might need to get
creative routing cables to the power jack.

* NO USB Cable included!!! Come on korg, this is a frickin' $1200 unit!
You penny pinchin' corporate bastards can't include a $5 usb cable? Geez.

* Audiogate installed easy as pie on my mac. Haven't tried it yet though.

* Two sample songs pre-loaded on unit sound great.

* There are several DSD settings, I'm not sure what the difference is
between DFF and WSD, they are both 5.6mhz capable formats.
The default was set to DFF. There's a third DSF format suposably VAIO capable.

That's about it for now. I can't wait to try her out!

Mandoman
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 02:08:30 PM by mandoman »

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2007, 02:42:20 PM »
From the Manual:

Using the unit in the following locations can result in a malfunction:
-Locations of excessive vibrations
-Close to magnetic fields

Handling of internal hard disk:
-In particular, you must never move this device or apply physical shock while the power is turned on

I would expect a portable field recorder to experience some movement while the power is on. I did plug in headphones while it was recording but tried not to move the unit at all while I made the connection. This action could have caused my previously described error last night.
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
And my order has been placed. See you blokes in the team thread soon.
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

Offline newblue

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2007, 09:46:25 PM »
Another thing that I forgot to mention, heat was not a factor as far as I could tell.  After running for 2 1/2 hours (with a break in the middle) the case was only ever so slightly warm to the touch.
To be able to fill leisure intelligently is the last product of civilization, and at present very few people have reached this level. - Bertrand Russell

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 12:19:57 AM »
Out running today with a Sonosax MiniR82, so the tests on my Korg have all been just letting it run taping room noises at home.  I did get out to buy the damn USB cable, you need one with the fat squarish end not the more common USB that the Korg MR-1 and most other recorders use.

Useful but trivial facts: It does divide files at 1.049 GB just like the MR-1, and also shuts down after six hours (which is 28 1/3 1.049 GB files at 5.2Mb/s.  I am really happy with the BatteryGeek 10-14-88 powering.  I took a fully charged battery and had the machine on standby for a few hours Friday, not recording but playing with the menus, etc.  Then ran the six hours at 5.2 Mb/s with phantom to an AT835ST, then it stood a few hours with the screen showing a stop warning.  The BatteryGeek cell still shows all four green capacity lights lit, this thing will run forever.  Will play a bit with the files after I master the MiniR82 tapes tonight.

Jeff

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2007, 04:10:36 PM »
I took another test run last night running 15' from the stage. This time mics straight into the MR-1000. I had to turn the gain way down to not overload the levels. I engaged the -12dB attenuators on the mic body for the second set and could run much more comfortably at about 5 instead of 2 on the gain scale of 1-10. Felt like 2 was very close to overload and had little fine adjustment control. As suspected, this unit is not for mics with high output taping loud shows unless you have external phantom power supplies, in line attenuators, or like to tape from the back of the room.

That being said, I thought it was the best sounding audience recording I have ever made, and by a wide margin. Funny thing though it was a band I normally wouldn't tape as they are a local grateful dead cover band. Damn wish I had this for recent panic shows.

I mounted some little rubber feet on the bottom of the unit since it doesn't sit well on anything, flat or upright. I plan to keep it connected to my playback system when not in the field. I just love how it sounds in native 1-bit/5.6 MHz. I don't really want to listen to anything else now. And it's cool how you can connect this unit directly to powered monitors or your amp and just adjust volume on the unit. I plan to try this soon with my HD-1's via the XLR's.

Does everyone else have an amber battery light showing when connected to external power? No mention of this in the operators manual. Hope mine's ok. I have only run it with the AC adapter so far.

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2007, 05:43:51 PM »
I took another test run last night running 15' from the stage. This time mics straight into the MR-1000. I had to turn the gain way down to not overload the levels. I engaged the -12dB attenuators on the mic body for the second set and could run much more comfortably at about 5 instead of 2 on the gain scale of 1-10. Felt like 2 was very close to overload and had little fine adjustment control. As suspected, this unit is not for mics with high output taping loud shows unless you have external phantom power supplies, in line attenuators, or like to tape from the back of the room.
Well that's a little troubling. Guess I'll have to invest in some attenuators and hurry up on acquiring a Mini MP.

That being said, I thought it was the best sounding audience recording I have ever made, and by a wide margin.
That's a nice pick me up, though :)

I just love how it sounds in native 1-bit/5.6 MHz. I don't really want to listen to anything else now.
Now I'm all excited.

I put an order down with Sweetwater yesterday. Haven't received any shipping e-mails yet because its Sunday. But how soon do you think I can expect them to ship it out?
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

Offline newblue

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2007, 07:04:50 PM »
I get the same battery light regardless of power solution.  At first I wasn't sure if that was bad or not, but when I got the same thing using the adapter, I didn't worry.  Maybe it should have said power instead of battery  :P

This lil puppy does sound good.

Offline esteyes

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Korg MR-1000 batt cable
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2007, 02:52:25 AM »
yello, if anyone needs a 4 pin xlr batt cable i can make 90deg or straight cables cheap. price of the conn (neutrik gold) + a few bucks. the story is that in pro audio, for 12v, pin1 is neg and pin4 is +12v, if you do 6V, then pin 2 is neg and pin 3 is +6v. no cross-voltaging that way.

neil in san marcos
760-519-6569
esteyes@cox.net

dumping my 671 (from oade) if the 1k works out for you guys... will leave my Sony DMX-P01 lonely tho'. likely to front with my Shure FP33
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
AKG 460's + CK61/CK63 or A60M + CK1/CK8/CK9  or MK46/CK1X/CK8X
Sennheiser K3U + MKE-2, ME20, ME40, ME80, ME88
Sennheiser MKH 110/2 x2 + MKH 110/1 powered via custom battbox
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Shure FP33 or Sony DMX P01
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
stealth: M1 > MKE-2/ME 20/ME40 in the hat
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2007, 10:55:13 AM »

Does everyone else have an amber battery light showing when connected to external power? No mention of this in the operators manual. Hope mine's ok. I have only run it with the AC adapter so far.

Yes, running it with no internal batteries and a BatteryGeek external cell I had the amber light on all the time.  Running with internal batteries the light is green.

Jeff

Offline newblue

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2007, 11:55:11 AM »
Ah ha.

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Taperssection Member
  • Photographer:Jim Marshall - Jerry @ Woodstock
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2007, 12:20:22 PM »
How is the app that comes with it as far as play back at 1bit go's. I would love to hear some thing taped with one at 1bit but how would I if I don't have that app that came with it  ???

-Brian
MBHO KA200 N / KA500 HN > Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives > MBHO 603 A > Van Den Hul The Second >  SD722

coming soon Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives

Show I taped on archive.org http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deadhead6216

"We're the first generation that's really capable of saving this music forever. Now is the time because we finally have the digital technology that allows us to preserve it indefinitely. It's also the critical time to do this because the older recordings are really deteriorating. It's an opportunity and it's also a serious responsibility, future generations will hold us responsible for what we do or do not do as far as preserving th

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2007, 01:00:22 PM »
Jeff: Thank you very much. (Christ, Chrome II is like 3 grand!)

newblue: Looking forward to your results. Good luck!

I'm also curious how this thing handles plain PCM recording, since it seems like it can handle up to 24/192 recording. Wondering how clean that is. I just don't have the room to store 5.5 gigs worth of audio every gig :)

And the noise floor in every situation. Everything else sounds fine. If this is good, then my purchase is more or less guaranteed.

maybe look into the fostex fr2le when it surfaces..  line in 24 bit..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com