Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Korg MR-1000  (Read 81875 times)

Offline newblue

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "Yeah, well, the Dude abides."
Re: Korg MR-1000
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2007, 09:09:54 AM »
I am waiting for Jerry's pm on the hard drive error issue, that is more of a killer for me, if it can be reliably fixed forever I am hooked on the Korg.

Jeff 

Word!
To be able to fill leisure intelligently is the last product of civilization, and at present very few people have reached this level. - Bertrand Russell

TLM170R/KM184 > V2 > MR-1000 [Zaolla Interconnects]

Offline mandoman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2007, 02:42:53 PM »
The MR-1000 has a limiter switch plus the high and low gain settings.

I think the high/low gain switch is only for the TRS line in, not the mic in. Lack of a -10db pad
for the mic input is a real oversite though.

I'm using primarily an LSD2 mic with the mr-1000 which fortunately has a -10db pad built
in. It's sensitivity is 12mV/Pa=-38dB(0dB=1V/Pa), which doesn't sound as high as the Josephon's
66mV/pa cited as being problematic. Hopefully I'm covered, but only experience in the real world will
tell for sure.

Still haven't had time to give this setup a real workout though. Got a 5.6mhz recording
the other day (sounds awesome!) but haven't had a chance to convert it to PCM to see
if I'm affected by the noise filtering issue. I'll do some more test this week and will hopefully have
a report to give soon.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2007, 02:58:16 PM »

I think the high/low gain switch is only for the TRS line in, not the mic in.

That's what a reading of the manual would suggest, but it seemed too wacky to me so I tried flipping the switch with a mic plugged in (XLR) and the levels jumped.  I ran the Josephsons with the switch at low position and got brickwalling, at the high position it would have really been a mess.

Jeff

Offline mandoman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2007, 03:03:58 PM »

I think the high/low gain switch is only for the TRS line in, not the mic in.

That's what a reading of the manual would suggest, but it seemed too wacky to me so I tried flipping the switch with a mic plugged in (XLR) and the levels jumped.  I ran the Josephsons with the switch at low position and got brickwalling, at the high position it would have really been a mess.

Jeff

Jeff,

Was it just a momentary glitch when you switched L/H, which could happen since line and mic
probably share the same ground, or were the levels indeed higher with the gain switch set high?
I'll experiment tonight.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2007, 03:15:26 PM »
I just checked, feeding a phantom powered AT835ST mic in XLR and running the same wav through my computer speakers.  The high setting rings the meters on the MR-1000 around 15 dB higher than under the low setting, everything else staying equal.

Jeff

Offline mandoman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2007, 03:19:24 PM »
I just checked, feeding a phantom powered AT835ST mic in XLR and running the same wav through my computer speakers.  The high setting rings the meters on the MR-1000 around 15 dB higher than under the low setting, everything else staying equal.

Jeff

This is good info to know, thanks Jeff. Sounds like they need to update the manual.
Mandoman

PS. Hey, I just realized I crossed the 50 post mark and can now give tickets!
+T for your efforts :-)

Offline mandoman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2007, 05:45:44 PM »
So I've recorded a couple of band rehearsals now on the mr-1000 and played
a bit with the software.

Setup on the unit is easy. I'll bitch about the case again - you have to take it
out of the case to use it with a power supply and to get at the switches on the back.
Minor quibble. Another annoyance is the gain, phantom power, and limiter switches
are super tiny. They feel sort of fragile. Since I try and make sure to turn off the phantom
power before connecting/unconnecting the mics, I'm worried these might go
out prematurely. Wish they put bigger and more heavy duty switches on there.

The unit boots up super quick (unlike the gawd-awful MT I had previously). Hitting
record puts it into record-pause mode where you can set levels before hitting
play. Menus are easy to navigate and intuitive. I like the feel of the buttons.
Display is easy to read and there are bright red clip indicators. The gain and
headphone volume knobs are a little small, but just the right amount of stiffness
in them so it'd be hard to accidentally move them. What I don't get is why those
knobs protrude a little past the metal flanges on the left and right which I assume
are there to protect the front panel as well as to loop a shoulder strap through.

I record with an LSD2 mic that I usually place just in front of the band. I try and
capture the un-mic'd drums, monitors, and back fill amps evenly. I get pretty
good results this way. Stage volume is not too loud, not as loud as a live concert
most on this board are accustomed to recording.

Recording in this manner with the -10db pad on the mic OFF I have to have the gain set
pretty low on the unit, around 9-10o'clock to prevent clipping. The l/h gain switch
is set to low, and I have confirmed this does in fact affect the mic gain.
So I can confirm that an ACM, external attenuators or pre is needed with this unit.
I should be able to squeek by with the -10db attenuator on my LSD2 for most
of my applications. I sometimes run AT4051s that don't have pads,
so I would still very much welcome an OADE mode, and hope Doug will
allow us early adopters to get modded if he does chose to offer one eventually.

I've done two recordings on the unit so far. First was WSD/DFF/5.6Mhz. The results
are pretty amazing. First reactions from my band mates listening to these recordings
were 'warm' and 'clear'. Very detailed, no brittleness at all. No audible noise at all.
I am very happy with the results.

I converted the first recording to 24bit/44.1 with the included audiogate software.
~2x real time to convert. Transfer to my g4 mac was pretty quick. This is a little
better than I thought it would be. The AG software is simple and intuitive with
the basics to combine/split/convert tracks. The resulting conversions still sounds pretty
sweet.

Second recording I recorded straight to 24/44.1 on the unit itself. I had the gain set
just a hair lower since PCM can't handle overs as gracefully as DSD. The sound
is still excellent, but as you'd expect, not quite as good as the DSD recording.
I would say the PCM A/D is very good on this unit, but not quite as good as those
on my 400f (akm converters). Still leagues better than the microtrack and h120
though. I would love to hear others opinions how they compare to 671/hdp2/722,
though. I'm guessing for PCM recording we're in the same ballpark as those
units in terms of A/D.

I imported both recordings into Digital Performer and the waveforms looked ok.
They appeared a little close to brickwalling though, so again, an ACM mod would be nice.
The pre's themselves sounds good though. I would describe them as clean and
transparant, with little to no personality to them - not sure how you'd improve them except to lower their sensitivity a bit. Those folks that like a little more 'character'
in their pre's are probably running grace/apogee anyway.

I've got to say, both recordings came out pretty damn good. The unit seems very
reliable. Absolutely no issues with setup, the recording itself, transfer to computer,
or conversion. We're talking a night and day different experience to that
POS MT I owned previously. Overall I'm a very happy camper.

Next test will be to try the unit with a pre in front of it (onyx mixer). I expect equally
favorable results there, maybe even better since I'll have a little more degree of control
on the gain.

So far (out of 10):
Ease of Use: 10
Reliability: 9
Mic Pre: 7 (ACM mod please!)
PCM A/D: 9
DSD A/D: 10

Offline jerrythek

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2007, 04:15:13 PM »
From Jerry's post, 'it's designed the way it's designed and you haven't found the right microphone to use with the deck'. pptttthhhhbbbb.  No problem with the deck, just the mics are too sensitive.  Where do I enroll my MR-1000 for sensitivity traning?

LOL, are you saying the MR-1000, or me?

:-)

I didn't mean to come off insensitive, but the unit's hardware is already designed, right? So it "is what it is" and by bringing the specs into better focus, which you have all helped us to do, we can use that info the help users to either:

- find the best match

- use/mod other equipment to help it to match better

I'm finding a lot of qualified people here on the board, and they are helping others and myself to learn more about things. Thanks for that.

Regards,

Jerry

Offline newblue

• Taperssection Member
  • "Yeah, well, the Dude abides."
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2007, 08:06:31 PM »
Jerry, I don't mean any offense by that.  Forgive me if you read it this way.  The sensitivity statment was in regards to the MR-1000 based on the mic pres being so sensitive, not you.   ;D

The design of the deck is great in my opinion and have had wonderful sucess with it so far.  I never was looking at this as a one box soln, as I have an external mic pre that I would use anyway.

Thanks for all your help and support and keeping an eye out over here for how the reviews are going.

JC
To be able to fill leisure intelligently is the last product of civilization, and at present very few people have reached this level. - Bertrand Russell

TLM170R/KM184 > V2 > MR-1000 [Zaolla Interconnects]

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2007, 01:34:50 PM »
What I'll try next is analog-out from the MR-1000 to my SD722, and burn a CD with 1) the Audiogate pcm'ed version of the file and 2) the 722 recording of what I hear on the MR-1000, and play those back on the same setup.  Only if they sound different then will I be sure there's an issue here.

Very curious about the outcome of that test.

I compared the DSD reduced to 44/16 in AudioGate to a recording made via the RCA analog outs on the MR-1000 into an Alesis Masterlink at 44/16.  In both cases you can hear the (not extreme) brickwalling.  The analog-out recording strikes me subjectively as a bit brighter, but both waveforms get hosed above the -6dB where the preamp brickwalled.  So the difference I heard must be just my CD playback system being more "revealing" than the MR-1000 playback.  Anyway THAT overloading won't happen again.  On the other issue, Jerry did pm me with the suggestion that I had a bad hard drive sector, I have now reformatted and am hoping it doesn't occur again.

Jeff
Jeff

Offline pesciolino

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Korg MR-1000 ~ question for Jerry
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2007, 03:00:26 PM »
Hi Jerry,

I got my MR-1000 a few weeks ago and have been enjoying it greatly. I've been interested in DSD/SACD since the late 90s when i heard a demonstration by Sony's David Kawakami at an AES show; i also appreciate DSD's 1-bit "elegant zen-like philosophy" of recording.

So I have a question for you...

Wouldn't it be *theoretically* possible to link multiple MR-1000s through the USB port to allow for synched multi-track 1-bit recording and playback??? (firmware)

This would be a very very very good thing!

Thanks!
James
NYC
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 03:10:50 PM by pesciolino »

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2007, 09:36:10 AM »
So has anyone been able to answer the question of how good this sounds compared to a 671? I realize it sounds great in DSD but once you dither it down to 24 bit how is the sound? Seems like there are still some bugs with this unit & I would be better off buying a 671 while Korg fixes these issues? So the question is since we can't listen to DSD on playback without using the unit. Once dithered down to 24 bit for DVD-A playback is it better to use a typical 24 bit bucket or the MR-1000?
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2007, 07:33:12 AM »
Master HIGH
listen LOW

its all good Carl.
listening to the DSD files is a treat, and I like that a lot.  but honestly, the DSD>Redbook files are VERY enjoyable.  shit, you've heard them here, didn't suck did it?

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2007, 09:07:43 AM »
Master HIGH
listen LOW

its all good Carl.
listening to the DSD files is a treat, and I like that a lot.  but honestly, the DSD>Redbook files are VERY enjoyable.  shit, you've heard them here, didn't suck did it?

Don't worry, I agree, it's also why I am sure I will order a new MR-1000 this week  >:D
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Swanny

• Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2007, 11:49:41 AM »
Can you link two of these for four track recording? I wonder if there would be drift if not linked.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 12:10:45 PM by Swanny »
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com