Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

M/S audience with SBD feed matrix

(1/4) > >>

Chuck:
I just had a crazy idea. I'm sure someone has done this...

Set-up a figure 8 and a source facing cardioid in the audience (aligned on top of each other) to capture the audience and PA mid/side. Then mix that with a soundboard feed. Of course you have to time align the AUD and SBD sources in post.

I've been recording in local venues more recently and am get bored of mixing a DIN cardioid pair in the audience with the sound board feed. I do have a an LD figure 8 mic that I've used a few times to mess around with M/S. I don't usually like the results of M/S recording unless I'm really close to the source. But, using a mid side pair in the audience to mix with the SBD feed would be cool. I could control the width of the audience/PA in post.

Another potential benefit... M/S is mono friendly and could really add controllable width to mono SBD feeds.

If anyone has done this, let me know how it sounded. This could breath new life into my stagnant way of doing SBD/AUD matrixes.

Chuck:
Wow, I posted too quickly...

What if I used the mono SBD feed as a replacement for the mid mic when decoding?? No need for the mid mic!

rippleish20:
 The FOH for the band I record most loves M/S  and I've been playing with M/S recently (he encouraged me).  I have done both of what you described - a SBD matrix and a SBD matrix with just the side.but my problem is that, as you, say, you really need to be in the perfect position to make it worthwhile and thats hard to do. Dan Healy actually settled on using M/S audience recordings for the matrixes he did, which he called the Ultra-matrix. He apparently found it to generally be preferable over microphones on stage etc...

Quite honestly, I am moving more towards on stage microphones myself, although you can do M/S there too. There is so much talking at shows these days, I am disillusioned about recoding from the audience at most shows period (except outdoors)...

Chuck:
Thanks for the info rippleish20. Of course I've heard those Healy recordings. But, I didn't know the audience source was M/S. I'm going to try it out next time I get the chance.

edit to add:

My side mic will be a two diaphragm switchable pattern LD.

chk:
Believe Healy or the ultrasound guys ran an AKG C42 most of the time for the aud feed of ultramatrix recordings with the mid channel pattern set to omni.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version