Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone heard VMPS?  (Read 13504 times)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Anyone heard VMPS?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2003, 07:18:31 PM »
Mike they are pretty detailed but not sterile, correct?
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2003, 05:48:02 PM »
mfrench: it's the big joke among audiophile magazines, who have begun to deride manufacturers for making small chunks of billet aliminum into remote controls.  But I'm with you, I like the small heavy weaponry: at least my dogs can't chew 'em up!  ;)

By soft I mean lacking attack, sortof smoothing over things.  I find ProAc's, in my past listening experiences, have been sortof warm and "slow" for lack of a better word..  It's not that the lack detail, they just...  Dunno, the music just seems softer.  More laid back.  Some people really enjoy the ProAc sound, but to me it lacks excitement.  Now I haven't heard their top models, and to be fair perhaps they were mismatched (electronic wise).

Anyway, it doesn't sound like the Sol's are like that at all :)

It sounds like your Plinius is quite a bit like my McCormack: IMO the best combination of tubes and solid state!  

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2003, 11:35:17 AM »
I ran a tube amp in my office system for about a year...  Although that isn't a long time in terms of an audiophile's lifetime, I used the hell out of that amp.  I bought it used, and after about 4 mos. I noticed a bit of softening of transients, and less extension in the high registers, so I replaced power tubes.  Bam.  Back to normal.

So while I may have not had optimal sound for a few weeks, it's pretty easy to hear when things "aren't right" and swap tubes around.

Besides, imagine being able to change the tone of your rig via changing out tubes: you WILL have more than one set, believe me :)

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a tube amp, really the maintenance isn't bad.  It's fun to check bias and whatnot, gives you something to tweak and fiddle without buying things  ;)

The problem I have is my wife...  Now that we have the rig downstairs in the main living space, she doesn't want to fool with tubes to watch TV.  I just leave the power amp on all the time so she doesn't have to flip it on, etc.  Obviously you couldn't do this with tubes, which have a finite lifetime.  

I'm happy with my McCormack, it really does have the warmth and liquidity I loved about my tube amp, while also possessing serious bass extension and control, and more extended highs.  No grain.  I do miss the glow of tubes sometimes, tho, they're like little fake fireplaces :)  I think I'll keep the McCormack for a good while, and if I get the itch to buy tubes again I'm going whole hog and buying a pair of Cary 805C monos  ;D

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2003, 11:56:17 AM »
I think that's the benefit of the McCormack. I had a CJ MF2200 & really didn't think it was nice sounding at all. All I ever heard was how "tubey" they sounded with good bass slam. Then I swapped the DNA into my system & bingo, that is "tubeish" with a much cleaner sound as well as bass impact. I can't imagine getting rid of my McCormack but everything else is subject to change at any time ;)
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2003, 02:16:32 PM »
Carl, if you ever feel the need to switch, call up Smc audio and get your DNA modded (if it isn't already).  You have a DNA-1, right?  Lots of mods for that thing...

Steve is supposed to release mods for the DNA-125 and 225 soon (I have the 125).  I'm planning on sending mine in...  I've heard excellent things about his mods.  In general I'm not a fan of modding anything, but if the amp's designer does it, I'm A-OK  ;)

I have the same impression of that CJ amp...  the DNA-125 blows it away, in every manner.  It's very interesting to me, since CJ bought them.  I wonder why?   :P

Offline Wiggler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2003, 04:22:09 PM »
I'm really happy with my Cary Sli 80 > maggie 1.6qr setup I prefer the sound to my McIntosh> 802's.
I love tube sound plus your can change tubes to change the sound without buying new gear.

Hey Ducati I use the same Mit Mh 750 Bi wire speaker cables whats really funny is at one time I ran those  cables with a pair of Naut 805's  whats the chance of that?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2003, 04:28:48 PM by Wiggler »

Offline sideshowbob

• Local Crew
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2003, 07:21:30 PM »
Good for you guys!!!! Not quite there yet. I'm still young and have plenty of time for new toys. I guess I'll have to just settle for my MC352>N802's for now ;) Happy listening. Thanks.......Jason
« Last Edit: May 11, 2003, 07:26:38 PM by sideshowbob »
"Music soothes the beast in a man"...Joseph Stalin

"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."  Abraham Lincoln (Dec. 18, 1840, to Illinois House of Representatives)

Schoeps MK21/MK41/MK5/M222's>Elvo NT222's>Grace V3>SD 722

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2003, 08:32:14 AM »
Wiggler, we have similar tastes, apparently, in stupid expensive wires  ;)

I love Cary tube amps...  MMMMMN.

Offline Trevor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • 4021>V3
Re:Anyone heard VMPS?--Hey Carl
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2003, 08:07:20 PM »
Are you coming to Vegas anytime soon (panic maybe)?  You can swing by my pad and listen to my VMPS 626r with soundcoat, auricap, and FST.  bring your favorite tunes and give them a whirl.

Trevor

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2003, 08:47:36 PM »
Thanks for the offer Trevor but I don't see getting out of New England at all this summer. I have NO shows worth taping for as far as I can see around here! Tough year around these parts.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com