Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone ever heard/tried a Sonic Impact 5066 T-Amplifier???  (Read 4221 times)

Offline Weirdness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • ...driftin' and dreamin'...
I've been thinking about trying to put together a relatively inexpensive portable hifi system for hotels/camping etc. over the past couple of weeks, just came across this neat little amp that runs off batteries, got some pretty unbelievable reviews considering they're under $40!  Not usually much of an impulse internet shopper but I just found a $24.99 deal with cheap shipping, figued I'd try it out and see how it does.  Supposedly a bunch of people have been modding them up too.  Anyways, just curious if anyone had ever heard one or tried it out before...

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
Re: Anyone ever heard/tried a Sonic Impact 5066 T-Amplifier???
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 08:31:29 AM »
Looks cool, reminds me of the DIY clone amps that are based of op-amp chips.

Post back if you go for it and let us know your thoughs ;D
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 08:53:07 AM »
I remember reading quite a bit about the t-amp over at head-fi, some folks use them to power the AKG K-1000 ear speakers.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 12:30:14 PM »
Daryan actually has one already...

It made it's debut at our hotel this weekend.  It is what it is.  It isn't powerful, but delivers extremely detailed sound all things considered.  Mine came with cardbpard, yes you read that right, speakers, and I scored it on audiocircle for 40 bucks shiped brand new in case.  The mods are really easy all things considered, and I may giove them a try one of these days but probably not until July.

Anyone is more than welcome to borrow mine for a test run.

Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

BobW

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 01:45:21 PM »
well, you can't beat the price, thats for sure!

The reviewers make issue of the absolute need for high efficiency speakers. Nothing less than 90dB efficient.
And I found a link to a really high quality speaker manufacturer in the 6moons link, "Cain&Cain", who they say is having a blast tweaking this amp unit. C&C speakers are 98dB efficient, which is fairly stout for highly effficient speakers, not many are that efficient.

as far as a portable hotel unit,.... this thing seems great!

Daryan oughta have fun with it!

Klipsch Cornwalls are 99 db eff., FWIW.
I wonder if they don't "shout" as much as the C&Cs.......
BTW, shout is that wierd thing where the image shows about 15-20 ft. in front of the speakers.

My friend built a set of Fostex-driven TQWTs that were incredible, but they sounded best in the kitchen, even though they were located 23 feet away in the family room !
Mucho bass, great detail, but the image projected like a missle.

Haven't heard the Cains & Cains, but I haven't heard a single driver horn that didn't have "Lowther" shout, either.

Does anyone know if C&C has beaten this issue ?

Offline Weirdness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 03:23:36 PM »
Just got this puppy in, supposedly it improves with break in time and a 12v power supply(which I'm going to get wired up shortly), but the first impression is that for such an unbelievably tiny amp, it packs a pretty nice punch. 

I picked up a used Rotel 100 per channel RA-980BX the other day for a buddy of mine and hooked it up to the same speakers that I have hooked up to the sonic impact(Audiosource Project One's-90db sensitivity) and it's amazing how well this thing holds up.    My jaw isn't dropping or anything at how much more detail it reveals or anything like that, but for $25 it's a pretty smokin' little unit.  Lots of detail, decent imaging, crisp highs and a decent amount of volume for normal listening levels.  Even with what I would consider a fairly mediocre pair of speakers, it still beats almost any boombox/mini system that I've heard...

I have a couple of pairs of Mission bookshelfs that I'll try out at some point, but it looks like Klipsch are the best match for this thing.  The RB-15's and the RSX-5's are both fairly small but sensitive speakers(93db) that look like they'll do nicely.  I'll follow up if and when I get my hands on a pair. 

BobW

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 07:53:07 PM »
The first watt is the most important    :)

I'd like to hear the klipsch with a 10 watt Single Ended EL-34 amp.

Offline Weirdness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 08:54:57 PM »
...little update here, have the 12v power supply up and running as well as some decent cables(Kimber 4PR for the speakers and a Kimber Silver Streak with RCA>1/8" adapters on each end) and with a bit of break in time, very impressive for it's size, a bit smoother and harder to clip with the better power supply. 

Hooked up a pair of Mission M70's(86db efficient) that I'm using as the center and surround rear from my HT system with less than stellar results.  No question this puppy needs the right speakers to make it sing.  The 86db Missions sounded lifeless without the extra juice to run them.  I'll be trying the amp out with a few pairs of more sensitive bookshelfs over the next copule of weeks and will post back if I find something that works well. 

Offline Weirdness

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 11:15:05 PM »
Well, I ended up scoring up a pair of B&W LM1's today(91db sensitivity) to try out with the mighty sonic impact.  Couldn't resist the price, 5 cases of beer!!!  See, up here in Canada, beer is like another form of currency.  Sure, it was a mismatched pair-one black, one burgandy but how could you resist such a rediculous proposition...

Not the most unbelievable bookshelfs I've heard or anything but they're a perfect beater pair for their intended party purpose.  Damn fine for speakers with plastic boxes.  Anyhow it's fair to say now that everything is in lline, this is one amazing amplifier, something that will kick the shit out of any boombox style system and the vast majority of mini systems out there with no problem at all.  For flea sized power, this thing will fill an office no sweat, very punchy at that.  Pushing the volume to half way is really all you'd need to do if you really like to rock it out... 

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2005, 08:48:19 AM »
I'm tempted to try this thing out with my Axioms (93db)........! 

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2005, 10:55:10 AM »
Nick, I won't be using mine or anything associated with it for several months.  Want to borrow it?
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2005, 11:05:09 AM »
Nick, I won't be using mine or anything associated with it for several months. Want to borrow it?

Sure D, I'd like to hear it...   I'll shoot you a PM.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2005, 11:59:21 AM »
Absolutely!

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 09:27:20 PM »
mine just arrived today. damn this thing is light!

i think i am going to put it in this box w/ all the fixings. (there is a great page about modding these things here)

there is also a comparison of several other amps that use the tripath chip here (and they are all dirt cheap)

gonna likely mate this with a sb2 and a pair of bookshelve speakers and use it in the living room (it is all about the small footprint for my wife in our new pad). gonna stick my big guns in a dedicated listening room (in fact they are already in place) but i would like to get a stereo set up in the living room, too...

if it works out, i might get another one (and another sb2) and mount some outdoor speakers in the yard...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2005, 08:00:57 PM »
Can someone point me to the cheap place to get one of these?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com