Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone thought of an encloser for their camera?  (Read 3939 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Anyone thought of an encloser for their camera?
« on: May 19, 2004, 09:26:00 PM »
Like, get a tall tripod, mount your mics on it, and under that, clamp on a metal box of sorts (ala the UA-5 design, or any other pre-amp), with 4 holes in it (3 on one end, 1 larger one on the other). You could even make it preatty and stuff, or whatever.

The larger hole is for the lense to look out of. the other 3 are to run your mic cables in and out of. This gives it the allusion that its a pre-amp and you just have really dinky and tiny XLR cables (that would be my excuse), and then angle it right and figure out the zoom ahead of time (practice makes perfect) and voila.

Now you may ask how do you do tape flips? Have one of the digi-outs on a cam leading to your taping bag which has another recorder in it. This way you dont have to muck with the stand each time you do something. Granted not every camera has an out on it, but that would be something to investigate.

Also, this doesnt help much with non-taper friendly bands, as its tough to get a stand up when stealthing unless your an uber-taper. What it does solve is it conceals the camera and gives you a stable image that doesnt wobble (and I'm not big on zooms or pans, which this also solves, but thats personal preference I guess), and allows you to enjoy the show.

Thoughts/Comments?

-- Page
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline sexymexi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
Re:Anyone thought of an encloser for their camera?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 12:03:11 AM »
i think your saying you wanna mount your camera on the top of your stand up with your mics right?  It would be hard to take pics, unless you have a remote.  And my remote only works with my SLR, and its a manual, if it was auto, then it would work just get like a 15 ft remote and click away. just change the rolls of film.

I have never seem a digital camera that works with a remote, they might exist, but never with these eyes have them been bestowed upon.  its a good idea, i think micsupply.com carries a clamp for a camera, but passing it off for a pre might be kinda weird.  Good luck though. +T
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 03:46:24 PM »
It was intedned for video (I was watching a video of the Dead from last summer while I thought of this), not stills, but I hadnt thought of it as a regular camera... hmm, I wonder how well that would work.

-- Page
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004, 10:39:32 PM »
probably be easier to get an analog camera with a detachable lens, extend the cable, stick it in a shockmount, and run the video in to your mini-DV  in your bag.

Offline tooldvn

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 12:42:32 AM »
I frequently mount a Sony TRV33 inbetween my mics.. If I do run that it is the steady cam, and I start it, then elevate the mic stand (I usually do a trial run with the viewscreen open so I can see what is what, then mark where I need to have the stand up).   It's not a big deal.  I'm not really sure what you're saying about running a micpre up there as well. You're best off having that down in the bag as normal and matching up the aud and vid later in post.

-dvn
DPA 4061²  &  AKG 61/63

JasonGreen

Re: Anyone thought of an encloser for their camera?
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004, 11:02:08 PM »
detachable lens?  What video cam has that?

Offline z0rk

• Taperssection Newbie
  • What's a llama
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 11:18:14 PM »
I frequently mount a Sony TRV33 inbetween my mics.. If I do run that it is the steady cam, and I start it, then elevate the mic stand (I usually do a trial run with the viewscreen open so I can see what is what, then mark where I need to have the stand up).   It's not a big deal.  I'm not really sure what you're saying about running a micpre up there as well. You're best off having that down in the bag as normal and matching up the aud and vid later in post.

-dvn

I think what Page was getting at was creating a fake box that appeared to be like a pre-amp and concealing your video camera inside the box. It seems like an allright idea, although it doesn't make for much of a dynamic tape, because you cannot move the camera around. Also, switching the tape at the sext break causes for some risk of getting caught, and it iis much harder to re-set up with a stronger security presence. I also believe that at some shows there have been security searching for IEM receivers (big bands), and they will most certainly get ticked seeing a video camera rigged on the mic stand. It just runs a high risk, having a video camera up there. Pretty soon fingers will be pointed and some bands will retract audience tapes. Still, a cool concept though.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com