Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 5)  (Read 101099 times)

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 5)
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 03:16:46 PM »
Noah, I'm with ya here. Frankly I couldn't care less if anyone has 'skin in the game', as long as we're all working towards the same goal. And frankly, I'd prefer to see if we can get Tumuo to come back to this discussion. He was working with us, then a few things were said, and now he's not here to work with us. Interpret it how you'd like, but we're kind of stuck in the mud without his input.
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

Offline Nigel Tufnel

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 04:05:48 PM »
Boring update. No drama.

Back in part 4 of this thread, groovon posted a link to a USB battery (http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=173960.msg2157546#msg2157546) that has the exact footprint of the DR-70. I ran test and got 11 1/2 hours recording 24/48 2 channel with phantom powering some ADK large diaphragms.

Using an approved card for the test, I scanned the files and there weren't any obvious glitches.

This battery is a keeper. If you aren't having SD card problems and want to drop $13 on powering the deck, over 11 hours in this form factor is pretty impressive.

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
  • rolling tape since 1963
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 05:18:17 PM »
Boring update. No drama.

Back in part 4 of this thread, groovon posted a link to a USB battery (http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=173960.msg2157546#msg2157546) that has the exact footprint of the DR-70. I ran test and got 11 1/2 hours recording 24/48 2 channel with phantom powering some ADK large diaphragms.

Using an approved card for the test, I scanned the files and there weren't any obvious glitches.

This battery is a keeper. If you aren't having SD card problems and want to drop $13 on powering the deck, over 11 hours in this form factor is pretty impressive.

Hi Nige. Glad to hear of your excellent results w/ the battery--it is a winner, eh.
Also, here's a link to new slightly shorter USB cable I just got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321703733141 It doesn't need an 'S' bend to take up the slack, just a short 'U'.

For the record, I haven't noticed any glitches in my DR-70 recordings. I use 16GB Sandisk Ultra Class 10s mostly, but I've had no problem with other cards (all 16GB so far) that are not on the approved list. Firmware is v.1.11.

Also for the record, I'm sorry but not surprised Tom had enough abuse and left. Too bad a minority have to ruin it for everybody else here, and for what? My 2 cents, take it or leave it.

Dave
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 05:38:42 PM by groovon »

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 05:43:23 PM »
I also bought that same battery posted by groovon and can confirm it's awesome.  Mine is attached to the bottom of the unit with a few dabs of blue tack, so while it's not a permanent attachment the whole thing looks like it's part of the recorder.  Very slick looking and excellent performance.

Thanks for posting that other cable.  I've never been able to find one angled like this on both ends.  I bought a couple of the previous ones you recommended that need the S-bend, now I'll probably get a couple of these also.

The battery has been on the FAQ for a while, but I'll add a link to this cable as well to make the package nice and slick.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline groovon

• Taperssection Member
  • rolling tape since 1963
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 05:49:55 PM »
I also bought that same battery posted by groovon and can confirm it's awesome.  Mine is attached to the bottom of the unit with a few dabs of blue tack, so while it's not a permanent attachment the whole thing looks like it's part of the recorder.  Very slick looking and excellent performance.

Thanks for posting that other cable.  I've never been able to find one angled like this on both ends.  I bought a couple of the previous ones you recommended that need the S-bend, now I'll probably get a couple of these also.

The battery has been on the FAQ for a while, but I'll add a link to this cable as well to make the package nice and slick.

Glad to help. The cable's still just a hair long, but as close to perfect as I've found so far. If it came to it, you could probably cut a USB cable as short as you need, and splice and heatshrink the black and red wires back together, i.e., as long as you're only using it for power.
(BTW, I looked in my stash, and I don't have any more of those red knobs--sorry!)

cheers
Dave

Offline voltronic

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 07:45:32 PM »
I've been corresponding with tomuo via PM regarding the different card lists on the EU and USA sites, and with his permission I'm sharing this here:

Long story short, the EU list is wrong, and may actually be for a different recorder but that's uncertain at this time.  It's being investigated and will likely be changed soon.  He also shared that all card testing is done by TEAC Japan, and they send the media lists to the divisions worldwide.  So there can only be one correct card list, and that is the one on the USA site. 

I also asked if there is any difference in manufacture for different markets, and he said there is not; they're the same worldwide.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2015, 09:45:04 AM »
I've been corresponding with tomuo via PM regarding the different card lists on the EU and USA sites, and with his permission I'm sharing this here:

Long story short, the EU list is wrong, and may actually be for a different recorder but that's uncertain at this time.  It's being investigated and will likely be changed soon.  He also shared that all card testing is done by TEAC Japan, and they send the media lists to the divisions worldwide.  So there can only be one correct card list, and that is the one on the USA site. 

I also asked if there is any difference in manufacture for different markets, and he said there is not; they're the same worldwide.

If you look back...almost one year ago...

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=170230.0

Thread one, post one - the EU Site had the product profile first.

And that's the reference that everybody here on TS was reading - and basing their decisions on.

I owned one by the first week of Dec 2014 and this list emerges in early Feb 2015. (And I had been using media listed there successfully)

Not sure if there was a "list" a year ago - other than the blanket statement about what media format was supported.

The EU list last updated in March 2015 (I guess nobody caught the "mistake" then either?)

That probably was a good list - then...

But now - 10 months in errors emerge - and the list contracts/redacts.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 10:16:29 AM by Life In Rewind »

stevetoney

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2015, 10:49:37 AM »

The EU list last updated in March 2015 (I guess nobody caught the "mistake" then either?)

More tracks being covered by Tascam. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 11:02:09 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2015, 11:00:33 AM »
A product recall is in order.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline voltronic

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2015, 11:20:06 AM »
Rather than engaging in conspiracy theories, has anyone actually acted on Tom's recommendation send their card containing errors to Tascam so they could analyze it?  You can self-congratulate yourselves all you want on your brilliant theories regarding Tascam's possible bait-and-switch, but at the end of the day, don't you want to see the problem fixed?  That's how Sound Devices solved their recent issue with Win 10 - users sent their cards or at least the disk images to SD and Microsoft, and they figured it out.  If in fact this is a problem with the recorder or firmware, why not try to help solve the problem?  When I spoke to him yesterday, he said that only one person had done this.

BTW, if you look at the results of the card survey so far, there doesn't appear to be any correlation between firmware version and whether or not there are recording errors.  Out of 24 respondents, 11 reported errors.  The firmware of those 11 who reported errors was 1.11 (7), 1.10 (3), and 1.01 (1).  The fact that most of the people have 1.11 doesn't ring any bells for me, as it's the latest version and most people would update to stay current.

Speaking of the 24 people who responded to the survey... well, only 24 people have responded to the survey!  If this really is a widespread issue, I think it would be helpful to everyone reading this who have had trouble to please report it on the survey.  Go ahead and email customer support also if you feel it's necessary.  If you really think Tascam is being evasive in how they are dealing with this, then we here have the ability to present them with significant data for them to see it's a significant problem.  Looking at the data we have so far, there are only a very small number of people having problems.  Right now, the sample size is very small, and from everything I can find, TS is the only place reporting problems with the 70D. 
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2015, 11:26:06 AM »
If you're that dissatisfied with the DR70 and either can't or don't want to wait to see if Tascam can supply a fix, ask the seller for a refund. If they refuse, take it up with your credit card company. If they ask why tell them the device doesn't perform as advertised and they shouldn't have a problem reversing the purchase charges as long as you have tried working out a return with the seller and weren't able to.

Note: each credit card will have slightly different processes for resolving disputes so check with the customer service department of whatever particular card you used.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 11:29:34 AM by flipp »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2015, 11:32:10 AM »

With logic like that then do you also view firmware updates as "more tracks being covered by Tascam"?

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2015, 11:42:42 AM »

With logic like that then do you also view firmware updates as "more tracks being covered by Tascam"?

I don't  - I suspect the March 2015 update to the EU card list probably added more cards to the list.

The firmware updates might offer a clue - the latest addition of the new ERASE FORMAT routine might indicate they knew the QUICK FORMAT routine might be problematic.

stevetoney

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2015, 12:33:54 PM »

Tascam said yesterday that the original list wasn't related to the DR70D, yet they updated the list in March.  If it wasn't related to the DR70D, then why would they have bothered to update the list back then? 

The list was fine until, well it wasn't the list anymore.  See what's happening?  Now they're revising history saying that list was for a different deck...even though they revised the list in March. 

As I said, they going back and covering their tracks.

Look, I bought a card off the new list and it's on its way.  If it fixes everything, great...I'll STFU in this thread.  But Tascam still gets an F-Minus from me for for how they've handled this and this is absolutely the last Tascam product I ever buy.  If you guys want to keep drinking the kool-aid they're serving up, good luck to ya with that in the future.  All you're doing is enabling/providing cover for their poor customer service IMHO.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 12:46:47 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2015, 12:40:42 PM »
Are the errors audible in real time? I usually dont use headphones.

Has anyone running a backup off LINE OUT found the errors in the backup recording?

Not sure we even know the errors are happening in real time - or part of some other process (like on/off for example)

I have some files that were fine - and then wrote files that had errors - and then old formerly good files had glitches.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com