Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thoughts on the SD Mix Pre  (Read 1963 times)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Thoughts on the SD Mix Pre
« on: May 28, 2007, 04:29:18 PM »
I see these from time to time & never heard one but they look like a decent pre-amp for cheap money. What are everyones thoughts on them? I picked one up brand new off e-bay & plan on running it for a month or two, I figure I can always sell it if I don't like it. How would you describe it's sound?I have heard the older MP described as "dark" sounding but no word on the Mix Pre, I guess they are the same unit without the MS. I like the size & feature set plus the fact that they are transformer based. Also looks like I will get decent life with internal batteries if I run 15v for phantom.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
Re: Thoughts on the SD Mix Pre
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 08:47:11 AM »
i may be way off here, but I think the Mix Pre is an MP-2 that has lower headroom.  it's been years, so I may be way off in what I'm remembering about the unit, though

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
Re: Thoughts on the SD Mix Pre
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 09:13:49 AM »
Interesting it doesn't state that in the tech notes & does say it is unclipable? I can't see how but it does state that. There used to be a 10db cut when phantom was applied but that has since been changed.

http://www.sounddevices.com/tech/mp2_or_mixpre.htm
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com