Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: NiMH rechargeable AA batteries & charger  (Read 4736 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
NiMH rechargeable AA batteries & charger
« on: September 11, 2009, 12:33:39 PM »
anyone have any good recommendations for regular NiMH rechargeable AA's & a fast charger.  ideally, I'd like the charger to be able to do 8 at a time, and charge relatively quickly.

I currently have a set of 4 Duracell 2650mAh batteries, and those are fine, but the charger I have is a pretty crappy one, and takes something like 12 hours for a full charge.  So I'd like to replace the charger for sure, and either get 4 or 8 new batteries...

if it matters, these are for use in my PMD-661.

Thanks for any suggestions.

- Jason

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: NiMH rechargeable AA batteries & charger
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 01:36:41 PM »
Jason, I use the exact same 2650 Duracell batteries in my 661, and love them. I use a 1 hour energizer charger I got for my camera a few years back, and since I rarely drain them all the way down, 4 AAs are usually charged up in about a half hour. You can find the Energizer quick chargers around easier than Duracell's, but they have them too, even 15 min models (these are pricey, though). I would check the standard places like Lowes and Target/Wal-Mart to get one. Take care
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline Rleeee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Lets Dance, Sylvia, Dance!
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Kind Kables Chameleon > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Concert Mod)

No Stand:  AT831s > CA Bat 2B Battery Box > Tascam DR-07 

" Poor people need MUISC too! "

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 02:08:39 PM »
Charger:

http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-BC-9009-AlphaPower-Battery/dp/B00077AA5Q/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_b

It only charges 4 batteries at a time, but will charge them at 1A rate if you wish, so that means it will charge your Duracells in about 3 hours.  It will not overcharge your batteries since state of charge is not determined by time.  It has a Test and Refresh mode.  Refresh will rejuvenate batteries that have lost capacity due to memory effect.  Refresh mode really works.  I've owned this charger for 3 years now and it has paid for itself with its ability to rejuvenate "dead" batteries.  The batteries that come with this charger are OK, but not as good as your Duracells or the Sanyo Eneloops below.

Batteries:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000LNI5VC/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance

These low discharge NiMH batteries have lower capacity than the Duracells, but they do not self-discharge as fast.  Other makes of low-discharge NiMH batteries are nearly as good, so you can pretty much buy based on price/battery.

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 02:16:08 PM »
The Maha chargers are also very nice.  My impression is the Maha and the La Crosse Technology charge the batteries equally well, but the La Crosse is a bit easier to use.  However, I do not own the Maha, so I do not have direct experience.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 02:34:53 PM »
Love the Eneloop batteries and Lacrosse charger that notlance recommended. Eneloops have worked much more reliably for me than much higher capacity batteries that are not low discharge. They last longer than you would expect too.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 08:45:23 AM »
thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I use the exact same 2650 Duracell batteries in my 661, and love them.

I've used my duracell NiMH AA's a couple of times in the PMD-661 and they work well for me as well.  but with my current charger, it just takes so long to get them charged.  because of that, I've mostly used my tekkeon battery with the PMD-661.  that works great too, but the battery is about the same size as the whole deck, and it'll power it for 15+ hours.  basically, I decided it was way overkill (because I never really go to festivals anyway), so I should be good to go with a couple sets of AA's and a good charger.

thanks again everyone.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 05:55:30 PM »
I've used my duracell NiMH AA's a couple of times in the PMD-661 and they work well for me as well.  but with my current charger, it just takes so long to get them charged. 

I mostly use Energizer and 2700mAh Sanyo rechargeables, and a LaCrosse charger that someone linked here.  But for quick charging needs, I have used my Energizer 30-minute charger with no problems at all in some 3 years of usage. 

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 07:16:33 PM »
I've used my duracell NiMH AA's a couple of times in the PMD-661 and they work well for me as well.  but with my current charger, it just takes so long to get them charged. 

I mostly use Energizer and 2700mAh Sanyo rechargeables, and a LaCrosse charger that someone linked here.  But for quick charging needs, I have used my Energizer 30-minute charger with no problems at all in some 3 years of usage. 
I've got the LaCrosse charger too.  I like that one since it keeps a trickle charge going.  I've also got a 30-min charger, but I *think* that one stops after charging.  Does anyone know?

Another option is to quick-charge with the Energizer, then top-up and leave in the LaCrosse.

I do admit a fascination with all the options and metering on the LaCrosse...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 05:40:39 AM »
Love the Eneloop batteries and Lacrosse charger that notlance recommended. Eneloops have worked much more reliably for me than much higher capacity batteries that are not low discharge. They last longer than you would expect too.

I'd like to fluff ebay store "mastersellerxx"
http://tinyurl.com/qa4q7e

I bought a stack of 2700mAh batteries from this guy, and the price works out as just $1 a piece, incl shipping. Great option if you live in the EU, where everything local is expensive.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com