Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HDP2 DC Tip Size?  (Read 3655 times)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
HDP2 DC Tip Size?
« on: December 01, 2006, 01:59:12 PM »
OK so I think I posted this in the wrong section under recording so I thought I would move it to here...Does anyone know the tip size for the DC input on the HDP2.  I spoke with tech support at tascam and they didn't know.

They were able to atleast tell me that the HDP2 will except any voltage from 12 to 18 volts.

I am going to get a L-ion battery pack and the only thing holding me up is what Tip size I need.  This is the Battery I am thinking would be the best.:

http://www.batterygeek.net/Portable_DVD_Player_Battery_p/10-14-88_batterygeek.htm

According to my calculations Batt 8000mah/Tascam 600mah=13.33 X .80 =10.67 hours run time....Thats two hours better than a 8 gig card at 24/48, not bad. 124$ is a little step but we are talking L-ion, at 24oz. its a hell of alot better than carrying led.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
Re: HDP2 DC Tip Size?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 02:27:14 PM »
off hand, I'm not sure the tip size.  but it is a very common size.  if you take your HD-P2 to radio shack, I'm sure that you'll be able to find one that fits nicely.  I know, not much help, but that's my suggestion.

also, the 8000mAH battery should be great for you.  I power mine with an external 4200mAH NiMH battery.  that does me quite nicely for opener + 2 full sets of music, and I don't think I've really come close to draining it all the way.  with 8000 mAH, you'd be golden.

the 600mAH is what the manual says, but I think that that is more of a "max draw".
I see that you are running e MiniMe in front, so I assume you are going S/PDIF.  based on my rough calculations, with the backlight OFF, and running S/PDIF in (i.e. not using the HD-P2 phantom power, internal pre-amp, nor the internal A/D), I think the current draw is roughly 450 mA.
therefore 8000 mAH / 450 aH = 17.78 X 0.8 = 14.2 hours.
I think that's a reasonable expectation when running S/PDIF.

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 02:46:49 PM »
off hand, I'm not sure the tip size.  but it is a very common size.  if you take your HD-P2 to radio shack, I'm sure that you'll be able to find one that fits nicely.  I know, not much help, but that's my suggestion.

also, the 8000mAH battery should be great for you.  I power mine with an external 4200mAH NiMH battery.  that does me quite nicely for opener + 2 full sets of music, and I don't think I've really come close to draining it all the way.  with 8000 mAH, you'd be golden.

the 600mAH is what the manual says, but I think that that is more of a "max draw".
I see that you are running e MiniMe in front, so I assume you are going S/PDIF.  based on my rough calculations, with the backlight OFF, and running S/PDIF in (i.e. not using the HD-P2 phantom power, internal pre-amp, nor the internal A/D), I think the current draw is roughly 450 mA.
therefore 8000 mAH / 450 aH = 17.78 X 0.8 = 14.2 hours.
I think that's a reasonable expectation when running S/PDIF.

Thanks...I was eventually going to go the RAT shack route, just thought I could save myself the extra step if someone already figured out what size it is...  I couldn't believe that the tascam support tech actually couldn't tell me what size it was.  I was on the phone with them for better part of an hour while he tracked down the answers to my questions and tip size was the only one he couldn't answer.  He was able to inform me that the HDP2 will except any voltage 12 to 18 through the DC input.  I read in the manuel that battery voltage will drain to about 8 volts before needing to be replaced.  I am looking to run it digital in with the screen always on, so I can complusively monitor my levels, LOL.   T+ plus for your info... 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 02:49:01 PM by OtheroneK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 03:03:03 PM »
it isn't easy.  i've had two different tips that kinda worked, but if jostled would slip out.  so i've reverted to buying another AC adapter and wiring XLR's for a direct connection to our 12V.  trust me it's a pain in the butt, at least in my opinion.

a good link about powering the hd-p2 in general: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=63681.0

after thinking about it, I'm pretty sure it's the M tip from rat-shack.  i typically tape the tip to the connecting cable, for security.
definitely take the deck in with some batteries and try them out.  wiggle hard, to replicate field use.

it's also nice to throw 8 AA rechargeables in there, just in case...

« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 03:09:53 PM by todd e »

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 04:16:53 PM »
it isn't easy.  i've had two different tips that kinda worked, but if jostled would slip out.  so i've reverted to buying another AC adapter and wiring XLR's for a direct connection to our 12V.  trust me it's a pain in the butt, at least in my opinion.

a good link about powering the hd-p2 in general: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=63681.0

after thinking about it, I'm pretty sure it's the M tip from rat-shack.  i typically tape the tip to the connecting cable, for security.
definitely take the deck in with some batteries and try them out.  wiggle hard, to replicate field use.

it's also nice to throw 8 AA rechargeables in there, just in case...

Actually the Tascam tech support guy suggested I splice the  provided AC/DC cord with a connector and then just splice the Battery cable with the same connector and just use the stock cable.  Not a bad idea.  I might just buy a extra power supply and hack that insted.  I forgot to add this in my earlier post.  The Tech support stated also that he "thinks",  but isn't sure, that the DC tip might be product specific, meaning not publically available in the aftermarket by anyone other than tascam, because he thinks the contact area inside the tip is spring loaded so there is a constant connection. Hence the reason your connector only works Intermittently.     
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 01:46:07 AM »
i was in a pinch the other day, so i went to "the shack" and found that the O plug fit snugly - it worked just fine...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
I owned a HD-P2 for a few years and got the tip from Rat Shack before, it's the "M" tip that you need.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 08:47:23 AM »
like i said - i tried the the m and the o, the o fit fine, too. doesnt surprise me that two tips work since it is only the custom tascam tip that fits perfectly...

what you cannot do with ease is buy another ac adapter - i have found nowhere that sells one...

-macdaddy ++

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 09:48:52 AM »
like i said - i tried the the m and the o, the o fit fine, too. doesnt surprise me that two tips work since it is only the custom tascam tip that fits perfectly...

what you cannot do with ease is buy another ac adapter - i have found nowhere that sells one...

by cutting the originally supplied ac adaptor, you can splice in a xlr connection (male and female) so that you can always return the original cable if need arrises.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 06:33:40 PM »
i have 2 p2s. ii did that (splice the power adapter to make a batt cable) with one of my p2's. i have lost/misplaced the other p2's power adapter, which is why i ended up at the shack...

-macdaddy ++

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com